great job gentlemen

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

carefullywhite

great job gentlemen

Post by carefullywhite »

Hello there, I just discovered ReactOS by looking through various sites and all I have to say is great job. It's about time someone made a real open source windows like os. I do however have a question; what programming language did you use and how does one go about helping with debugging and development? I am a newbie when it comes to programming and development, I have just played around with various languages and not really specialized in any. Anyway, I am looking forward to being a part of this community and I also look forward to the beta release! Keep up the good work!

Jon 8)

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

ReactOS is mainly written in C. A few parts (such as the current ReactOS Explorer Shell) are written in C++ but C is the preferred language for various reasons described in other threads. In fact, I believe that "explorer_new" (the not-yet-used replacement for the current ReactOS Explorer) is written in C.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

it is
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

z180

Post by z180 »

I discovered ReactOS by surfing around interested in open source OS
at 0.2.4 They had Quake 2 screenshots and could compile their
sourcecode on ReactOS.

elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

i dont remember how did i discover ReactOS, but the idea of having a "legal copy of Win32" encouraged me to join the project.

devs,
dont shout me, i know this is neither win32 nor a copy of it :-P

veebles

Re: great job gentlemen

Post by veebles »

I have casually followed the progress of this project as a lurker since 1998
at times disheartened, but never losing faith, the last couple of years only checking annually
today i dropped by to see how things were coming again jic
low and behold my mouth dropped open and even did a jiggy dance! :shock: :D
whahoo! you did it! finally turned the corner, able to shift gears with the first finish line in sight!
I for one am eagerly awaiting Beta and will try to be patient after all these years
all i can say is THANK YOU for never giving up, and give my wholehearted CONGRATULATIONS 8)
Go ReactOS Go! *cracks open a beer and cheers* :lol:

The123king

Post by The123king »

I came across the project when it was at 0.3.4, looking for a Windows alternative that wasn't Linux. Even in 5 releases the improvements have been immense :D

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

I got the open-source bug back in high school (about six years ago, I guess) and dabbled with Ubuntu Linux a bit. I liked the stability and the environment but I hated the lack of software and the need to use the command line for everything.

If I remember correctly, I found out about ReactOS when it was around 0.1.9 or so. I thought the idea of a free, open-source Windows was pretty awesome, so I started keeping tabs on it, and occasionally testing it to see how development had gone. My programming skills are lackluster at best, so I don't code anything, but I try to find time to test software when I can. Plus, I educate the ignorant masses about ReactOS, and that we, the people, have an alternative to Windows hegemony, and it isn't Linux or Mac.

Going from when I started watching this project to now is amazing, and even some of the gains made in the past year in terms of stability and compatibility are amazing. It'll really be amazing when the beta comes along and people start noticing. Then we'll all brag about how we were ReactOS fanboys before it was cool. :lol:

The123king

Post by The123king »

RaptorEmperor wrote:Going from when I started watching this project to now is amazing, and even some of the gains made in the past year in terms of stability and compatibility are amazing. It'll really be amazing when the beta comes along and people start noticing. Then we'll all brag about how we were ReactOS fanboys before it was cool. :lol:
Where's that copy of 0.3.4 i have... that's a future antique :P

Sof_T

Post by Sof_T »

I have finally created an account here just to say how impressed I am with the latest release. I have been following ReactOS for many years and releases. This latest release although facially it appears very similar to previous releases has taken a huge leap forward in terms of speed and stability. A couple of releases ago I was amazed if I could run a single application for 5 minutes without a BSOD, now I am able to run several, installers work a whole lot better and the list of applications that run after installing is improving all the time.

I tried installing a program today that requires a large number of packages downloaded over the Internet to install, the time it took was comparable to my Windows box, unfortunately the application didn't run properly (yet), but I didn't really expect it to.

Congratulations to everyone involved, your hard work is really paying off.