Changing the Forum

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lakehousetech

Changing the Forum

Post by lakehousetech »

Not sure if anyone has already said anything about this, but I have only been on here a little while and the forum seems kind of crappy. I am looking for a link to view new posts, but there isn't one. Also I did a search, then another and it asked me to wait a few minutes between searches...WTF? I don't know what you are using, but I recommend something along the lines of phpBB or similar. It's free, and open source, and works great. Plus it's php, so a child could figure out how to install it to the server.
manatails007

Post by manatails007 »

Hey, this forum is phpbb2

AFAIK this phpbb2 will be updated to phpbb3 'When it is ready'
lakehousetech

Post by lakehousetech »

No kidding....So the missing features are due to the fact that this is an earlier version? I look forward to the update. So what's the deal with the 'wait a few minutes before attempting your search'?
manatails007

Post by manatails007 »

lakehousetech wrote:No kidding....So the missing features are due to the fact that this is an earlier version?

I think ReactOS theme doesn't support that feature

lakehousetech wrote:So what's the deal with the 'wait a few minutes before attempting your search'?
You'd better talk that with frik85.
He maintains ReactOS website
Ged
Developer

Re: Changing the Forum

Post by Ged »

You should really do a small amount of research before you post things like this to avoid looking stupid.
lakehousetech wrote:Not sure if anyone has already said anything about this, but I have only been on here a little while and the forum seems kind of crappy. I am looking for a link to view new posts, but there isn't one.
The 'new posts' thing you mention are evident every time you log in, the forums with new posts are highlighted in red (you obviously have to have cookies enabled)
lakehousetech wrote:Also I did a search, then another and it asked me to wait a few minutes between searches...WTF?
This is a very common safety feature on forums. It's in place to stop bots overloading the server with continous search queries in DOS attempts
lakehousetech wrote:I don't know what you are using, but I recommend something along the lines of phpBB or similar. It's free, and open source, and works great. Plus it's php, so a child could figure out how to install it to the server.
Guess what, we are using phpbb .... doh .....
lakehousetech

Post by lakehousetech »

Glad I got such a nasty response. Hate to break it to you, I know the new posts are highlighted.....I said there should be a link to a page that shows all new posts in a list. Oh and as far as a 'safety feature' is concerned, no other forums I use have this issue. Sounds more like I actually struck a nerve because you know it's true. Nothing I said makes me look stupid. If anything your response makes you look like an arrogant prick. Oh, but maybe that's the kind of attitude poor developers have....especially since your ReactOS has been in Alpha for over ten years.

Enjoy!
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

While I recognize you're speaking from personal experience, you need to keep in mind that we do not share them, since we aren't you. Just because you've never run into the search delay doesn't mean it isn't common. The search delay is similar in the delay, or limited attempts, for failed logins, as it prevents the server from being pounded, and many forums do make good use of it. However, since the settings can be changed, the delay isn't the same on all forums.

Moving on, as far as your request for a list of new posts, I direct you to the View posts since last visit link above the Last Post column on the forum index.

Finally, there's a reason why so few devs come on the forum, and why I try to minimize the need for them to appear. They have very little patience with the forum because of past experience, so if you do see them, don't expect much tact or restraint on their end.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

lakehousetech wrote:Glad I got such a nasty response.
Don't be so rediculous.
You said the forums were crappy and we should use phpbb, I said you should do a bit more research.

I fail to see how any of this can be classed as nasty, unless we're both 8 year old schoolgirls.
lakehousetech wrote:....especially since your ReactOS has been in Alpha for over ten years.
That's just an uncalled for, cheap shot.
lakehousetech

Post by lakehousetech »

We should just drop this before it gets out of hand. I really don't want to have a flame war with you. I will admit that I should have been more tactful in my criticism of the forum...'crappy' was not a fair or professional way to describe it. The fact that the backbone of the forum is PHP was clear before you even posted. That wasn't the issue. I merely wanted to suggest that the functions prevalent in other forums I visit on a daily basis had the chance to be considered for incorporation.

Check these forums out for examples:

Linux Mint
The Saab Link
MyLesPaul.com

@Ged: I'm willing to start over clean with ya if you are cool with that. Aside from loving a good argument, I would hate to have a fellow bloke mad at me. Sorry about the alpha comment....that was pretty harsh!

C
DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround »

don't know whats your problem, but a link to new posts since your last visit exists -> http://www.reactos.org/forum/search.php ... d=newposts
lakehousetech

Post by lakehousetech »

Nevermind. It's like beating a dead horse. The forum is fine!
Blackcrack

Re: Changing the Forum

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy,

japp, very good style !! more modern and Stylish ;)
i like it ! :) Good work !

regards
Blacky