Why the Moz 1.5 ActiveX Control?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

FDV

Why the Moz 1.5 ActiveX Control?

Post by FDV »

The code to build the ActiveX control is present in the FF source for every version, including 2.x.x.x, it's just that the FF folks lack the foresight to provide it as a separate download, but it can be done.

I gave it a try but the build tools are so riddled with bugs that I couldn't get far at all. I spent some considerable time looking at tutorials explaining how to correct the bugs in the environment and lost interest, because I discovered a control for FF 2.0.11 here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=625517

Anyway, I'm sure FF will retain the code in FF3; will ReactOS switch from the 1.5 since FF2 works, and if FF3 works as well?

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

because some apps need it (especialy if you dont plan on installing a web browser) if your asking about bundleing firefox with reactos then forget about it, the devs have clearly stated they will not bundle a webbroswer with reactos.

FDV

Post by FDV »

betaluva wrote:because some apps need it (especialy if you dont plan on installing a web browser)
No, I don't mean why the Mozilla ActiveX control.

I mean, why the Mozilla 1.5.x ActiveX control?

As in, why not the 2.x.x control?

I'd offer to compile it and offer it, but 2.11 is available and the build environment is hell to set up. The developers will no doubt be able to do it themselves.
betaluva wrote:if your asking about bundleing firefox with reactos then forget about it, the devs have clearly stated they will not bundle a webbroswer with reactos.
I don't know whose post this refers to.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Version 2.1.1... Can you provide me with a link? If it works well, I will include it to our Download app.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

betaluva wrote:the devs have clearly stated they will not bundle a webbroswer with reactos.
Well, actually i have seen in a few posts that devs are thinking on include a web browser as the only one 3rd party app bundled with ros

FDV

Post by FDV »

EmuandCo wrote:Version 2.1.1... Can you provide me with a link? If it works well, I will include it to our Download app.
Here is the link:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=625517

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hmm.... seems like I need the embedded Mozilla Browser, too. I will play with it later
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

You may try using Mozilla XULRunner. It contains Mozilla ActiveX control.

Firefox 2.0 branch (Gecko 1.8.1 branch):
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/xulrunner/rel ... 080128.zip

Firefox 3.0 branch (Gecko 1.9 branch):
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/xulrunner/nig ... .win32.zip

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Ok, my first try. I edited the Intaller a bit. Source will be released later + even more changes to look a bit better. Can someone try the old control in trunk and if it runs, make a new ROS Installation and try this one? Tell me your results plz.

Based on
XULRunner 1.8.1
NPMozAX 2.0.1.1

http://rapidshare.com/files/106586038/M ... S.exe.html
Last edited by EmuandCo on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

@elhoir, well its news to me?

Black_Fox

Re:

Post by Black_Fox »

EmuandCo wrote:Can someone try the old control in trunk and if it runs, make a new ROS Installation and try this one? Tell me your results plz.
I used rev 34065, QEMU 0.9.0, kqemu-1.3.0pre11. Only thing done after installation was increasing resolution to 1024x768. Both setups were put on ISO. ActiveX 1.7.12 (I hope this counts as the "old" when looking at topic) took ~10 seconds since clicking on "Web" to finish rendering ReactOS homepage, while 2.0.11 took ~25 seconds. Nonetheless, it runs.

Phalanx

Re: Why the Moz 1.5 ActiveX Control?

Post by Phalanx »

I would love to see the results of the 3.x branch.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I read somewhere that FF3 does not work.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

cmoibenlepro wrote:I read somewhere that FF3 does not work.
See this thread.

Although I think that the issues with Firefox 3.0 are caused by the switch to a fully Cairo-based rendering system - the actual Gecko 1.9 layout engine should be fine.