ReactOS 0.3.4 on MacBook 3.1 (intel)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fred02

ReactOS 0.3.4 on MacBook 3.1 (intel)

Post by fred02 »

Just for fun, I tried to boot a Live CD in this intel Mac. And here is the results:
The os boots :shock: up to the <del>screen where it detects the drivers</del> user interface (see update below). So the GUI subsystem seems to work :!: It would not go any further, probably because of the very proprietary apple drivers for keyboard and touch pad (They would not even work in windozeXP in safe mode). I will try to see if it works any better with an external keyboard and mouse attached, but overall I think it is really amazing that ReactOS can start on such hardware. Congratulations and many thanks to the team. Will be eager to test the next releases.
Last edited by fred02 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Remember that there is an issue with keyboard / mouse in ReactOS 0.3.4 - try a revision from trunk where this problem should be fixed ;)

Do you use LiveCD or BootCD?
milesje

Post by milesje »

Radhad he plainly states
I tried to boot a Live CD
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Oh, my fault, sorry :)
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

I tried the latest trunk on my 2.3ghz macbook and received the same results. The drivers aren't functioning on the macbook.
Otiose

I had it working...

Post by Otiose »

Hi... long time lurker, first time poster...

Not sure how helpful this is, other than to offer the promise of hope (I sound like Barack Obama suddenly)...

But I had Reactos 3.3 working on a Mac Powerbook...I did this at my previous company so I can't tell you what the specs were on the machine, other than to say that it successfully booted, and I got into the desktop, and had mouse and keyboard interactivity.

I used a Boot CD, if I recall correctly (it was about 7 months ago though...so I'm blurry on the details.)

Point being: it can be done!
cppm

Post by cppm »

Which PowerBook model Otiose? it may be that some macs can be handled by generic keyboard/mouse drivers, and others can't
Otiose

hm.

Post by Otiose »

Hm.. I wish I could say what model. To be honest, I really hated the machine, and it met my fists of frustrations a few times... Yea, I'm one of those "anti-mac" guys. So much so, I just realized it wasn't a Powerbook at all (just remembered powerbooks are the high-end laptops, right?) This was an iMac. The big "everything-built-in" behemoth.

I really didn't care to poke around and see much of the specs, or anything. All I can safely say is that it was one of the older iMacs. The white ones, not the newer silver ones.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

A small update: I tried with an external keyboard and mouse attached and it booted up to the user interface. :D But unfortunately neither the keyboard (MS natural 4000) nor mouse (mac mighty mouse) allowed me to interact with the os. The cursor was stuck in the middle and even ctrl-alt-del did not work. :-( Never the less it is a start.
Afterwards I tried to have only one device attached at a time and it still booted up the same, even when I detached both :shock: . So my previous post was misleading, the current state is: ReactOS boots on MacBook 3.1, but I can not interact with the OS because no input is accepted.
linuxgx wrote:I tried the latest trunk on my 2.3ghz macbook and received the same results. The drivers aren't functioning on the macbook.

Well, it seems that now I get up to the user interface, but can not interact with it. Is it also what you get too?

I can not try the truck because I don't know how to build a live cd out of it, but with the next release sheduled this month, I think I can wait until then. :)
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

fred02 wrote: I can not try the truck because I don't know how to build a live cd out of it, but with the next release sheduled this month, I think I can wait until then. :)
You dont have to build a livecd, you can download trunk releases from http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

8) I like building my own that way I can change small things
z180

Post by z180 »

building your own iso image someone could change reactos in numerous
ways like usig dll files from windows or different icons/bitmaps
or he could replace the atapi.sys with the uniata driver (i cant test it yet,
no ata and eee-pc is not available in the markets I asked)
In reactos there is not much kernel(ntoskrnl) tuning possible like in linux,solaris,bsd,minix but a few values could be changed in source
also by non programmers
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

> very proprietary apple drivers
Mega LOL. It's open source.

ReactOS doesn't work with USB manipulators, so no hope.
SpoonmAn

Post by SpoonmAn »

@ fred02

how did u connect external keyboard and mouse? remember that reactos usb stack still is not working, so u need to connect both devices to ps2 wich probably could be only one available on the laptop. but u can split this to keyboard and mouse with a special adaptor.
Daemon

Post by Daemon »

Macs don't have PS/2 at all, even an old models (only ADB).