compile a version of ReactOS to use the Knoppix kernel?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ratosept

compile a version of ReactOS to use the Knoppix kernel?

Post by Ratosept »

Pleas read all the way down and keep an open mind.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to start by saying that as a security developer for a global CO I had to learn to hack my way into the systems I use in order to test the security of thous systems and I think I am fairly good at it.

That being said I have used BSD Linux UNIX ReactOS and the other NT based Windows9x to Vista under Meany systems and I think that the NT based kernel is easier to hack which is made easier by the strict filesystem that Windows uses to that end I would say that ReactOS is clearly better in the sense that its more open fore slight adjustments to the arrangement that the kernel sits on,
However the original flaws of any Win like OS are still apparent and hackable.

To me Linux seems to be less stable but certainly more secure.

OK I don't intend to badmouth your OS in fact I love ReactOS with all my heart I only mention this issue because I would like to try a slightly different approach to ReactOS,
That is to say a different kernel.

In my many years of research I have found that the best kernel fore speed reliability security and portability is under the name Knoppix.

So I was wondering if it is possible to compile a version of ReactOS to use the Knoppix kernel?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Its absolutely new to me that Knoppix uses a NT Based Kernel. ReactOS is no *nix OS, you know?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

isnt Knoppix Debian-based?
silverblade
Developer

Post by silverblade »

Knoppix is a Linux distro.

ReactOS uses the NT architecture, by design - regardless of any alleged flaws it may have.

If you want ReactOS without the NT bit underneath, why not just use WINE on Knoppix?

People use Windows. People are familiar with it. Whilst I use Linux myself, I doubt a lot of the non-technical users would get the hang of it. Particularly those who struggle to understand computers anyway.

So there's no point in making "yet another UNIX clone". Some might argue there's no point in making something like ReactOS, but whilst many people like myself may hop on over to Linux, a lot of users feel more comfortable with Windows.

Provide something just like Windows, but without the price tag and usual restrictions, and open-source, and what do you get? ReactOS.

Running into a project and trying to change it because you disagree with the entire foundation on which it is built, is not really going to achieve a positive result (trust me, I've done it before!)
Andrew / Silver Blade

[ external image ]
Ratosept

Post by Ratosept »

EmuandCo wrote:Its absolutely new to me that Knoppix uses a NT Based Kernel. ReactOS is no *nix OS, you know?
I do know this and I was trying to say that I would like to switch the kernel to Linux.
Ratosept

Post by Ratosept »

silverblade wrote:Knoppix is a Linux distro.

ReactOS uses the NT architecture, by design - regardless of any alleged flaws it may have.

If you want ReactOS without the NT bit underneath, why not just use WINE on Knoppix?

People use Windows. People are familiar with it. Whilst I use Linux myself, I doubt a lot of the non-technical users would get the hang of it. Particularly those who struggle to understand computers anyway.

So there's no point in making "yet another UNIX clone". Some might argue there's no point in making something like ReactOS, but whilst many people like myself may hop on over to Linux, a lot of users feel more comfortable with Windows.

Provide something just like Windows, but without the price tag and usual restrictions, and open-source, and what do you get? ReactOS.

Running into a project and trying to change it because you disagree with the entire foundation on which it is built, is not really going to achieve a positive result (trust me, I've done it before!)
I know that Wine is an option but I think that to get the best of two worlds we could have ReactOS compatibility with hardware on the better security solution IE Linux.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You'll find quite a few developers here who will dispute the notion that Linux is more secure by design. In fact, quite a few developers hold Linux in disdain (while a few like it a lot). Either way, the objective of this project is to replicate the Windows environment down to the kernel behavior, not run a Linux system. Using the Linux kernel would be completely contradictory to that objective, as by design the Linux kernel is nothing like the NT architecture. The developers in general feel that NT is as good, if not superior, to Linux in many respects, so suggesting Linux be used as a base is not going to be taken well by a few of them.
Ratosept

Post by Ratosept »

Z98 wrote:You'll find quite a few developers here who will dispute the notion that Linux is more secure by design. In fact, quite a few developers hold Linux in disdain (while a few like it a lot). Either way, the objective of this project is to replicate the Windows environment down to the kernel behavior, not run a Linux system. Using the Linux kernel would be completely contradictory to that objective, as by design the Linux kernel is nothing like the NT architecture. The developers in general feel that NT is as good, if not superior, to Linux in many respects, so suggesting Linux be used as a base is not going to be taken well by a few of them.
I'm sorry.

So can you direct me to some place that this topic may be relevant so I might have a better chance of getting my question answered?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I suppose that'd be that Unified Linux project that's in the offtopic section, or the Wine project, since they're interested in getting programs that require driver installations to work.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You havent stated your area of interest. It may be either WINE or Unified Kernel Project. First is creating a compatible win32 userland, second is trying to run an NT kernel side by side of linux kernel for extended Windows compatibility (up to being able of using windows drivers).

Our project attempts to create a binary compatible NT-based Operating system. Sorry, we have no plans for using linux kernel in any way.
silverblade
Developer

Post by silverblade »

Effectively, if we were using a Linux kernel, we would be... Linux + WINE. :lol:
Andrew / Silver Blade

[ external image ]
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

Also, i dont know any other attempt like this that is still alive

So ReactOS is a very good idea (for now) / OS (when stable)
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

i known have two project that try make a windows.
one was base on win9x desgin another is windows nt desgin

1. ReactOS = win nt desgin that project is live
2.Moblius = win9x desgin that project seam be dead

then we have a whole list of plan os project base on thuse desgin
none have show a drop of code, they have died before they started

then we have some project that try adding win32 api to linux
1. wine,
2. winex,
3. EOS

trying adding win nt subsystem to linux
1. Unified Kernel Project
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

It seems that the OP is confused as to what a 'kernel' is.

FlyingIsFun1217
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

oohhh kiddys' / Child's

dont real understand what it is Reactos and withNT Achitecture...
Kiddys, please.. if anyone whant use Linux and Win32 sholt
taken RH,MDV or Su...se and dont make Reactos to a half and half and noting..

elhoir you have 67 Posts and question realy and now you question is if Ros not linuxbased.. arghll.. not realy.. or ? *lol*

for understanding Kiddys, this is a forum to evoluate a Win32 - NT - based
System not OS2, Wine, Linux or BEOS and other systems.. only a
Win32-nt-based architecture who support the one or other thing,
but not more...

The first focus should be that Reactos manufactured as a Win32 system,
and not other branches operating system otherwise never finished Reactos.

greetings
Blacky

p.s.: it isnt for this Tread the "Feedback & Suggestions" right place ?