Mention of ReactOS in WineHQ forum

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SdC

Mention of ReactOS in WineHQ forum

Post by SdC » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:00 pm

There's now a forum on WineHQ :D and already there's an interesting thread that affects ReactOS, and I'm very curious if this is true or not:

From http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=7
I am not sure that ReacOS is a good example. Quite a big amount of code in ReactOS contains leaked code of Windows (from Windows 2k). Recently I did a research, since I have access to Windows code(code premium subscription), I am able to compare things.
:?: :?: :?:

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Only lies. Some rumours spread because of people's envy. Some got pissed by us (even some former devs) in the past and some Linux Fanatics dont like the Idea, too.

Just ignore him and his lies.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Speedator

Post by Speedator » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Btw: Where is the comprehensive documentation about the audit?
I cannot find that. Without that there are always rumors, because it is not transparent and internal.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:09 pm

Speedator wrote:Btw: Where is the comprehensive documentation about the audit?
I cannot find that. Without that there are always rumors, because it is not transparent and internal.
I'd like to know about the audit as well. Without the audit documentation, it means there was no audit, and therefore MS can kick development to the mooooooon! (sorry for the Stinkoman 20X6 Ref)

Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:28 pm

The audit was performed by ReactOS developers to ensure compliance with project policy. That's all. Code changes are in SVN. What else do you want? Are you asking for a meta-audit? :lol:

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:15 pm

There is another topic on that. Both topics are done by two MVP`s:
Volodymyr Shcherbyna and Don Burn. They seem to be the orgin of those libelous claims.

For example:
First, much of ReactOS uses the GNU ntifs.h which contains code stolen from the NT4.0 DDK, and possibly more thefts since Mr. Branton the author solicted a number of people to send him the Microsoft IFS kit when it was under strict license.
No comment. GNU/FSF was informed of this claim and we may hope they wont treat it lightly... Mr Burn also claims:
My guess from what I have looked at is that at least 30% is stolen or derived from stolen code.
Comment: when asked for examples, he just got silenced. No proof was presented to back up this outrageous claim.

Mr Shcherbyna on the other hand claimed that our TDI.SYS driver is
"almost identical with its counterpart in Windows". What is most interesting, our TDI.sys is mostly stubbed, ie. it contains no real code but only empty functions. It doest work, it doesnt even load.

elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:14 pm

this is becoming funny :-P

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:14 pm

Indeed. Lets Sticky it :-P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Dominik2

Post by Dominik2 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:00 pm

The audit was never finished! Only the status bar was removed from the web site. In my opinion the so called "audit" was a big smoke grenade.

silverblade
Developer

Post by silverblade » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:29 pm

Hardly. There was a lot of discussion on the matter, and a lot of talk on how to ensure things are done cleanly, when the audit began.

The audit will never be finished - it's an ongoing process. Otherwise it's like saying "this food is fresh" and then walking away from it and leaving it for several weeks - you have to keep checking for the statement to be true.

People seem to have been fascinated by the audit progress bar, and constantly asking when the audit will be finished. It seemed as if everyone were holding out for it to hit 100% before they would actually trust ReactOS.

In short, having something there to seemingly prove to the world that our code was clean just seemed to highlight the claims people were making, as if to be waving a big flag saying "we're good, honest!" There's no need to prove it if you are.

Feel free to dive into our code and identify where there is leaked code or unclean reverse engineering involved. We are an open-source project, after all.

What's being said here is people are making these claims, yet they never "deliver the evidence" when requested.
Andrew / Silver Blade

SdC

Post by SdC » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:31 pm

silverblade wrote:.....
waving a big flag saying "we're good, honest!" There's no need to prove it if you are......
Unfortunately in this day and age, actively need to do so, because of the media driven legislative model currently in operation: silence is admission of guilt. I don't think MS is bothered at this stage at all, but if for instance an OEM system builder were to market a ReactOS PC, MS would be right on top of them flexing some legal muscle with some vague threats or allegations ...
Yes ReactOS is open source, but it's lacking readable technical documentation about architecture, design and the development process (of the kind that would make the ReactOS project also a bit of an educational effort ;) ). And that's exactly what Microsoft is doing right now ("no, WE're good, honest!") LOL if anyone should know about re-implementing other people's idea's.....

Anyway, back to my studying for my MCSE 2008 upgrade exam tomorrow.... funny thing, Windows Server 2008... core server...no gui, no explorer.... with UNIX subsystem... -or- Terminal Server with Published Applications... -or- Virtual Server hypervisor.... nice new features... yeah for MS they are ;)

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:19 am

So how would our technical documentation be any different from what MS produces, besides the intentional or unintentional errors sprinkled about? I mean, MS already produced all this documentation. We'd be in effect replicating it since we're doing things the same way they are, or at least trying to.

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:30 am

Hi,
I posted this:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsof ... 6faa6e2fff

I misspelled reverse engineering.

Thanks,
James

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:06 am

SdC wrote: Yes ReactOS is open source, but it's lacking readable technical documentation about architecture, design and the development process (of the kind that would make the ReactOS project also a bit of an educational effort ;) ). And that's exactly what Microsoft is doing right now ("no, WE're good, honest!") LOL if anyone should know about re-implementing other people's idea's.....
No, readable technical documentation? Yes there are many sources for our documentation!

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/Reference
I have all, plus more books in my own library.

During the pre-audit days I argued over the closing of the repository. You can research that yourselves~! I posted on the Dev list and on this forum about it. The problem is we have newbies walking into the fight without doing their research. Volodymyr and all are just newbies looking at the code without researching how the changes are made. Now do you all see the point?

Thanks,
James

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:12 am

Unfortunately in this day and age, actively need to do so, because of the media driven legislative model currently in operation: silence is admission of guilt.
And libel is libel...