MS explorer.exe don't work on Reactos

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

manatails007

MS explorer.exe don't work on Reactos

Post by manatails007 »

I terminated explorer.exe process in task manager and I executed MS's explorer.exe(XP Professional SP2) and....
nothing happens!
even there was no explorer.exe process created in task manager :idea:
Last edited by manatails007 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Yep to be expected was it a windows 2003 ms explorer.

If not syscalls had no chance of lining up. I am thinking you mean windows explorer.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

not relay surprising, but it would have been an nice workaround. the process is probably created but ends before task manager refreshes
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Without a debug log this report is pointless.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

oiaohm wrote:If not syscalls had no chance of lining up. I am thinking you mean windows explorer.
What have syscalls got to do with explorer?
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

MS 2003 windows explorer does not use any. Safe one I know to play with.
If there is another version that is safe speak up.

I had a list on the syscalls older windows explorer in early NT used it was for functions that were not exported. I know it changed with the functions 2003 exports. Might have changed in XP too.

Missing api function or missing syscalls missing caused some of the older windows explorer to go nuts on wine and created 1000's of trash files. Yes normal creation functions with randomly generated filenames. That feature is also missing from MS 2003 windows explorer. So its a safe one to play with on something incomplete because its not going to do other stupid things.

Basically if you know safe version list. We really don't need the same insane mess I seen in wine in reactos. If the version that was played with was insane we should be thankful that it did not work.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Ged wrote: What have syscalls got to do with explorer?
I don't understand your post. Anyway, I'll rephrase my post as it wasn't meant as a question, it was more of a statement...

syscalls have nothing to do with explorer. Explorer makes no direct calls into kmode.
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Try using the explore from windows 95 or NT.

If that doesnt work there are many third party explorer replacements that dont require extra API
cppm

Post by cppm »

Oiaohm I think you're getting confused between exported API's and syscalls.

Syscalls are talking to the kernel, and require switching context and interrupt handlers etc.

exported functions in exported API's are just programs talking to each, so not neccesarily syscalls.

Although what you say about wierd behaviour of explorer in wine is true. Creating thousands of garbage files, (and in wine's case reports of it trying to draw the desktop, but that wouldn't be an issue under ROS...)
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Wine running MS Windows Explorer and having the run away file creation.
Windows XP no patches or service packs known to do it. Windows 2003 no patches known not to do it instead just dies cleanly. So now SP1 or SP2 XP never tested to see what it does. I would suspect SP2/SP3 fixed the same way as 2003 or at least hope so. What it does in wine seams to be a alternate line that was never meant to happen. If a function it needs is missing and stubed we might find another cause of it.

Sorry ged I mixed my information together. Its the stuff that done as pre 3.5 NT done as syscalls first then converted into ntdll.dll entries. If does not work seams to be the trigger for some applications of windows into going off rails. Very much if this fails to return correct value system will be dead so no need to worry were the code will go next. It also appears from reading ros might be 100 percent safe from it. Since ros most likely will fail not do a wine try to go forward and expect good internal application bug checking. As normal lot of applications don't handle the unexpected api answers very well.

Sorry everyone I over reacted. Long term memory left out the links.