target demographics

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Floyd

Post by Floyd »

volksgeist III wrote:....

Meanwhile I'm quite prepared to wade through developers notes, chagelogs, etc, to get the thing to work on my system, just as I do with linux. Open source = free as in free speech, not free beer., et al.
good for you. i, however, don't see anything wrong with expecting a GUI for a GUI-heavy based operating system. especially when they're targeting to essentially clone a GUI-heavy operating system. if you expect people to use your software, designg a good GUI is not wasted time.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

Is this really supposed to be a replacement for windows. I more saw it as for the gamer who wants a few more fps in a windows only game by recompiling the entire system with optimized cflags. And they might be willing to put up with a few imperfects in the ui for the ability to get a higher 3dmark score than their windows bretheren.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

if you want to do that, you can kill the explorer.exe process and just create and run scripts from cmd.exe (you can even use cmd.exe as your shell).

i don't see reactos as a gaming os. i see reactos as a replacement for windows. and my particular field of interest is networking (clients and server). and games will be nice to play once work is over.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Floyd wrote:if you want to do that, you can kill the explorer.exe process and just create and run scripts from cmd.exe (you can even use cmd.exe as your shell).
And use XPLite to uninstall and kill all unneeded background processes and services. If you only want to run games and want to run them fast, there's a lot you can disable. Plus, your games will run stabler that way than in ReactOS.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Floyd wrote:if you want to do that, you can kill the explorer.exe process and just create and run scripts from cmd.exe (you can even use cmd.exe as your shell).
This is extremely dangerous ... once I tried it and it worked fine until I tried to register an ActiveX library. It trashed the whole Windows installation. I could repeat this behaviour but after three tries (and Windows re-installs) I simple left the explorer as the Windows shell.

Regards,
Mark
volksgeist III

Post by volksgeist III »

good for you. i, however, don't see anything wrong with expecting a GUI for a GUI-heavy based operating system. especially when they're targeting to essentially clone a GUI-heavy operating system. if you expect people to use your software, designg a good GUI is not wasted time.
Did I say there was anything wrong with a GUI based system? You should see my KDE linux desktop, it's a beautty!

That's not the whole story though. Running software on linux, often requires reading lengthy manuals, so you know how to alter certain conf files, etc, or run with the right options/user permission, etc, et al.

This is not a problem with linux itself - this could all be automated with intuitive, userfriendly configuration wizards. The problem is that truly intuitive user interfaces are very hard to develop. The reason for that, is that to be truly intuitive, the program has to anticipate every possible dumbass mistake a user can make, and there are so many of them.

Thus, my tip to you ReactOS developers is to avoid pandering to the "average desktop user". These people will eat your brains. They will flood your emails and forums with st00pid questions.

Concentrate on developing an OS that can run windows drivers and apps. Let somebody else worry about emulating the microsoft paperclip - and trust me, somebody will.