Detailed System Requirements

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

andy_blah

Detailed System Requirements

Post by andy_blah »

I would demand to need witch are the requirements for this OS to run, I want to try and run it on a older computer and I do not want to start it all without knowing if this could work on it. I have read the FAQ and I know that I need 32MB RAM but that`s not enough to know. I would ask the FAQ and Wiki editors to add more detailed System Requirements also.

Thank-you,
>-Andy-<
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Minimum requirements:

Cpu: pentium I class or compatible
RAM: 32 MB
GPU: VESA 2.0 compatible
Mobo: PCI-slot based, dunno about VESA/ISA
Input: PS/2 mice and keyboard
HDD: Parallel ATA FAT32-formattable. System takes up less than 100MB when installed.
andy_blah

Post by andy_blah »

Thank-you very much, now I can kick the bloody Windows 98 out of the machine ^_^. Also does ReactOS include a bootdisk? If so, where could I find it? I would really need one since the computer is kind of old and does not boot from the CD directly for some reason. I could not find one on the Downloads page of this site.

Thank-you again,
>-Andy-<
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

reactos isn't ready as a replacement OS yet. Stick with 98 for a while longer.
andy_blah

Post by andy_blah »

I want to try tho :)
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

You can try it out using the download that says Qemu. That will let you run it almost as a game, in a Windows window.

http://www.pro-linux.de/NB2/images/indi ... eactos.jpg

FlyingIsFun1217
andy_blah

Post by andy_blah »

I know that, I have tried the VMWare package, but that`s not the point, I`m looking for a boot disk image ^_^. I would ask somebody if they can submit me a boot disk, if there isn`t any, I can try to take out the machine`s hard disk, plug it in here and install it from this computer.

Thank-you,
>-Andy-<
cppm

Post by cppm »

Boot disks are available on the download page as ISO's

Also, don't install RoS on any harddrive that has anything you'd rather not be deleted (and yes, that means in the other partitions) as ROS is perfectly capable of deleting your entire partition table. As we have seen recently here.
andy_blah

Post by andy_blah »

Thank-you for your tip. It can save me when I`m keeping important data, fortunately, I don`t have any important data on the old machine ^_^.
Still there is no boot disk image on ethier of the downloading pages (the ReactOS one and the SourceForge one).
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We dont have a separate bootdisk. Our ROS installation bootiso contains the loader and installer. Just burn it on a RW and boot from CD.
cppm

Post by cppm »

Ah, but you said it won't boot from CD, ah I seeeeee
andy_blah wrote: I would really need one since the computer is kind of old and does not boot from the CD directly for some reason
Well... can't really help you, i don't know of anyone who's managed booting ROS from floppy, it would probably involve a lot of floppies!
andy_blah

Post by andy_blah »

A boot floppy, not to install from floppy :P
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Make a regular MS-DOS boot floppy from Win98 and access the CD-ROM from there. Just make sure you have all the MSCDEX stuff on there.
cppm

Post by cppm »

andy_blah wrote:A boot floppy, not to install from floppy :P
Still, since there is no DOS component of ROS and they probably won't make a kernel that slim anytime soon..
woutervh

Post by woutervh »

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

This is a bootmanager you can install in the root of a floppy. It lets you choose which device you want to boot (including cdrom). Ideal when this is not supported by the bios