intel matrix raid

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

simonsphotos

intel matrix raid

Post by simonsphotos »

how will reactos cope with the intel matrix raid ? linux (ubuntu) could not read it will reactos see it have problems or just ignore it ? will it mess it up I'm thinking of running the live cd and possibly installing in a seperate partition

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I don't think we even have RAID support.

Pesho

Post by Pesho »

I think it's still a bit early to be installing it on real hardware... It's always good to experiment though!

simonsphotos

Post by simonsphotos »

well there is "a" intel raid controller listed in the compatibility list (but it was not tested so don't know how it was desclared compatible I'm new to all this) but its not mine,

my computer would not boot with the live CD it came up with the first screen and a little list of what it found and then hung,

I have a gigabye DS3 mobo and a C2D cpu any suggestions ?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I suppose this RAID is SATA-based, another component we are still working on.

Regarding your problem, you`d need a serial port, second PC and a null modem cable, connecting both of them. Then you can use log debug output on that secondary PC, with a terminal software, like HyperTerminal.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Intel matrix raid controllers some of them are buggers. Dumb as dishwater don't remember what there last setting were after a reboot have to be re setup from driver or control program each time the computer starts.

This type controllers need with linux http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man8/dmraid.8.php

dmraid setup done each time with correct setting for you layout under 2.6 kernel. 2.4 kernels need a special driver added to them. They become problems when running multi OS's because if the OS's setup the raid differently you end up with destroyed data.

I guess the drives are appearing non raided on startup simonsphone that is annoying intel matrix default state after reboot even if you are using windows.

Z98 we will as so as ros can run Intel Matrix Drivers. It is a hardware raid with no memory of its settings. Yes this is server room pull hair stuff after a OS dies and you need to recover it and no one noted down the partion and drive layout to raid.

Please pardon my tone I just don't partially like the card. Goodish cards as long as you take notes and store them correctly.

simonsphotos

Post by simonsphotos »

I see actually I am considering giving it up. if i run linux and open a program that looks at the HDDs the the raid goes offline when I reboot I have to completely switch off and the reboot and then the raid works again but I must remove power completely before rebooting

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

simonsphotos ok the half smart version.

The raid settings need to be re done correctly by all os's using that version version. Even if you were inserting a dos disk you would be stuffing it up.

Your Linux raid settings must not match you windows ones.

Its a requirement to use isw metaformat for the raids on intel matrix cards under linux or you have problems. Most people get caught under ubuntu because it uses a different one by default.

Raid cards without brains are pain in but. Note cause of needing to remove power after Linux is normally not shutdown the raid correctly for a matrix raid. Linux simplely tells it normally to shut the raid down. Of course this should be right. Its right for like 99.9 percent of the raids out there. Yep intel matrix nice little exception you tell it that it hides your harddrives one time you are thankful it forgets its settings when it loses power. You need to return it to default startup state on the shutdown of linux so you can reboot.

Problems you are describing are basically perfectly normal with dumb versions of raid cards. Ie raid cards that don't store the own settings. Also the reason I hate them to the extream partially for mixing OS's. The head aches are no better running windows all it takes is windows not to restart correctly and you have to power off the machine to get drives back.

Basically Linux is just showing you some of the future headaches that can happen to you.

linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

:? Personaly I dont like Matrix Array.

Your bestbet is to setup Two RAID 1's and have the disks back each other up daily. At least thats the way my server is setup

simonsphotos

Post by simonsphotos »

problem is with different oses
I think sometime soon I will need to revert it,
can I put half a disk as a raid0 and use the other half as a normal partition ?

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Some you have to use a mirror raid setup to have a stably visable partion. But its a intel raid with stuffed up shutdown response. Ie shutdown instruction completely hide everything. Without fixing the linux shutdown problem still will not go away.

simonsphotos

Post by simonsphotos »

yea its a case of no linux until I remove the raid

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Found something else in notes ubuntu has a old dmraid that also causes problems.

Pay to check version of dmraid in distros you are trying to use simonsphoto. Please release there is not much difference between a software raid and the card you have either. Major difference is that the software is stored on the bios chip of the intel matrix cards. Even intel makes better cards.

If you are really depending on your raid to be dependable it will pay to look at other cards.

simonsphotos

Post by simonsphotos »

my raid is itegrated into the SB on the motherboard