win x.p. end of life ( buying) then reactos?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

johnya

win x.p. end of life ( buying) then reactos?

Post by johnya »

Should be nice when you could not buy x.p. anymore there is an alternative.

So users can go on with "normal" hardware and still keep the performance.

Could someone predict the time a running working version for real daily use is somewhat ready?

Keep on the good work

thanks
:D
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

That would be when 0.5 comes out... (which i'm very excited about :) ) I'm betting that should be somewhere in mid or late 2009.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

I think it would be a really great idea to shoot for a stable, mostly compatible system by the time XP is no longer supported. That we, we'll have some people searching for alternatives, and... walah!

FlyingIsFun1217
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Yeah, when Vista came out i've come to the conclusion that it is so awful, there is no way i'm switching from Win2003 to that piece of crap.

In that sense, ReactOS sure gives me something to look forward to - a fully compatible platform, free and opensource without it being Linux in any way. I salute the whole ROS team for their brilliant work.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

Did you conclude that it was a "piece of crap" based on your experiences of it, or because you think it's cool to hate Vista?
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Vista has gotten much better. If you remove the anoying securites requests and use vlite its mostly the same os as win2003. but it does require a great deal of work. But atleast you have full directx-10.

NVidia is getting its act togeter on the drivers as well. So we are seeing similar benchmarks.

I dont like oem Vista, but a little tweaking and its usable.

BTW replace IE7!!!
ShakespeareFan01

Post by ShakespeareFan01 »

linuxgx wrote:Vista has gotten much better. If you remove the anoying securites requests and use vlite its mostly the same os as win2003. but it does require a great deal of work. But atleast you have full directx-10.

NVidia is getting its act togeter on the drivers as well. So we are seeing similar benchmarks.

I dont like oem Vista, but a little tweaking and its usable.

BTW replace IE7!!!
And what may I ask is up wrong with IE7?
Efforts have been made on standards compliance as well as security.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

counting_pine wrote:Did you conclude that it was a "piece of crap" based on your experiences of it, or because you think it's cool to hate Vista?
I would be the last person to follow a trend such as that. Why? Do you think it's cool to hate people who think it's cool to hate Vista?

I had high hopes for it in the beginning, but it turned out to be nothing more that a fancyer XP/2003 that uses more memory without a valid reason, and of course, annoys you with the security stuff... The only advantage is DX10, and that doesnt quite cut it, considering the games i play...

I'm sure anything would work if you tweak it, even 2003 requires you to turn on graphics acceleration, themes and sound services etc. It's just not worth it.
BTW replace IE7!!!
I'm using Maxthon :)
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

ShakespeareFan01 wrote: And what may I ask is up wrong with IE7?
Im sure efforts have been made. Its just not made well enough, and i quickly get tired of the browser crashing all the time. Firefox almost never does this.
ShakespeareFan01

linuxgx wrote:
ShakespeareFan01 wrote: And what may I ask is up wrong with IE7?
Im sure efforts have been made. Its just not made well enough, and i quickly get tired of the browser crashing all the time. Firefox almost never does this.
ROFL
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

"Do you think it's cool to hate people who think it's cool to hate Vista?" ha-ha-ha :D
ShakespeareFan01

betaluva wrote:"Do you think it's cool to hate people who think it's cool to hate Vista?" ha-ha-ha :D
My ROFL was in realtion to Firefox reliablity :(
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

Great another firefox flamer. Well I managed to post this so firefox seems reliable enough to me. IE7 crashs everytime the homepage loads and i dont know why???

That an this isnt a good place for a lets flame firefox thead
There is a reason it has 17% market share,

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=0
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Your mileage may vary.

This means all of you can have a different experience about the browsers and still all be right at the same time. Personally, i dont use IE as its too integrated with explorer/win32, thus poses often dangerous security issues. I only need it for Windows Update - IE6 with all security fixes is more than enough here.

Firefox is in MY experience, not so stable under certain circumstances, both in Windows AND Linux (FF 2.0)... So i use Opera/K-Meleon mix.

@ShakespeareFan01
ROFL
If you have nothing to add to the topic, dont post at all.

@linuxgx
Great another firefox flamer.
A few posts above there was plenty of IE flamers. If your post originated because ShakespeareFan01 managed to OFFEND YOUR PRECIOUS PIECE OF SOFTWARE, you are not an inch better than him. In such situation you should also refrain from posting such stupid, fanboish posts...
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Well, as much as i don't like Firefox, i have to say it's the best candidate for a ReactOS default browser... I dont know how the proprietary issues are when it comes to IE, but i doubt they're in favor of ROS.