MS wishlist leaked

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cppm

MS wishlist leaked

Post by cppm »

Some entries from the MS early feedback programme were leaked on the internet, some interesting ideas. Although some you can only guess what they might mean.

The article:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/138213/wind ... eaked.html

The list:
http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/1 ... edback.png

Some of them. like the "create new user type 'child'" can be implemented in a general solution, if the OS is designed with a generally better solution, in this case, proper groups.

Some seem to be general good sense, like, not spinning up the disk drive so much, or having a codec manager.
Xylber

Post by Xylber »

"Integrated Antivirus"... Some people dont know what to wish..

Good info
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Xylber wrote:"Integrated Antivirus"... Some people dont know what to wish..
Hahaha... You can't expect people to have to buy a computer AND install the antivirus for it at the same time, that's just too much effort!
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

Integrated Antivirus- a hackers dream come true :wink:
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

One that caught my attention was a "Gaming Mode". Now I don't know if ReactOS would ever need something like this (since it's meant to be light and fast), but it still could be useful (like how sometimes people end Explorer.EXE for a little more head-room).

Maybe there could be in the control panel or something a list of customizable options and services for the OS that can be deactivated, tweaked, or what-not that goes into effect when you activate "Gaming Mode".

Even better, you could be able to create multiple configurations for gaming mode. Then, you could assign those configurations to programs, games, and other EXE files so Gaming Mode would be automatically activated when that app was launched along with a particular configuration for that individual EXE.

NOTE: being able to assign one configuration to multiple programs would be very useful.

EDIT: Since things like this could also be useful for non-gaming applications, maybe it could be named something like "Performance Mode" instead?
LRN

Post by LRN »

It's not necessary to shutdown the whole thing just to get you some more resources. Swapping whole processes out of memory and/or reducing their priority to Idle would do essentially the same (unless you have 64 MiB RAM, 10 GB HDD from 98's and Celeron 230Mhz).
linuxgx

Post by linuxgx »

LRN wrote:It's not necessary to shutdown the whole thing just to get you some more resources. Swapping whole processes out of memory and/or reducing their priority to Idle would do essentially the same (unless you have 64 MiB RAM, 10 GB HDD from 98's and Celeron 230Mhz).
You have to realize that games want every little edge they can get on other players. They will kill what they have to in order to gain that advantage.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:One that caught my attention was a "Gaming Mode". Now I don't know if ReactOS would ever need something like this (since it's meant to be light and fast), but it still could be useful (like how sometimes people end Explorer.EXE for a little more head-room).
This reminds me of the .PIF file thing :) Maybe ReactOS can have some special format with settings, or just have advanced options like disabling services etc. for the .lnk format, used for desktop shortcuts.
eXile

Post by eXile »

Hi,

yes, of course there are some ... let me say "stupid" requests, but many would be in my opinion really good extensions to ReactOS. My personal wish-list of useful requests:
Multi-monitoring issues:
"Improve taskbar for multi-monitoring"
"Different background pictures for multi-monitoring"

User profile issues:
"Allow saving of desktop icons arrangement"
"Screen resolution saved in profile"
"Individual settings per partition for diplaying 'Low disk space' warnings"

Requests for new or extended applications:
"Integrated font-manager"
"Integrated codec-manager"
"Extended sound mixer"
"Extended clock with alarm function"
"Extended device manager in order to help to identify unknown devices"
"Extended boot configuration editor"

Requests for extending the explorer:
"Add toggle-button to quickly show or hide hidden files"
"Add tabbed browsing of files"
"Folder-size not displayed in explorer"
"Do not spin up the CD drive when showing folder-lists"
"Support for .bin / .iso images"

Requests for extending the task bar:
"Reordering of application-buttons"

Hardware issues:
"Support boot from EFI / UEFI"

Misc (some might be really hard to implement):
"Vector-GUI"
"A 'Gaming' Mode"
"Auto clean of temp-folders"
"Make all dialog windows resizeable"
When ReactOS finally reached 1.0 someone might dig out this thread ... :P

Cheers,
eXile.
b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

This is 55% of the reason I want ROS to succeed. Some other quirks are the remaining 45%.
246703 No dialog should take keyboard focus away from what you are doing
There is no reason for me to be typing, for ex. in this box, and see a quick dialog flash, and then wonder what I just did. Did I allow a file to be deleted? Which program was it, and what did it ask me? Especially when keyboard input is considered an accessibility feature - shortcuts and accelerators. Especially since SPACE and ENTER both activate the default button.

I will give two options, controlled by the registry - SetForegroundWindow() will either put the app at the SECOND-HIGHEST z-order (maybe with a flash), or it will put it at the top of the z-order, but disable keyboard input. Maybe it will check to see if the user last used keyboard or mouse input. I mean, it tracks those for the screensaver timeout, yes? And maybe if it's a debugger process it gets special treatment. But still, if you're debugging keyboard input, you don't want a debug dialog.

This has happened to me enough times that I tried to RE windows and figure out where this code happened, but I got bored, searched google, and found ROS instead. Even if this is not implemented, my own personal copy of ROS I guarantee will *never* shift focus.
275384 Windows should not need to spin up the CD drive every time you pull down a drive list
This is probably 30% of the remaining 45... along with similar things like when I delete something to the recycle bin, Window shuld not have to wake up my external USB disk. It's not even involved in the deletion process, why access it at all? I'm sure there's a reason, but it's a stupid one.

OK, well I didn't mean to vent so much, but I did. I am happy to be trying to find bugs in ROS, and learning about how it works, so that when it is beta I will be able to have a real OS that is helpful, instead of an obstacle.
cppm

Post by cppm »

request 246879 - being able to move all profile data from the default locations is a must for me.

For compatibility C:\Users (or C:\Documents and Settings)could be a VFS when ROS actually runs, if the folder is actually stored there, no problem. But if you want to actually store your profile data somewhere else, then it should allow you to do so and the entry under C:\Users can then become a hidden symbolic link for applications that insist on using hardcoded paths

(I've found a few in my time even for the My Documents, which can be changed at will)
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

cppm wrote:request 246879 - being able to move all profile data from the default locations is a must for me.

For compatibility C:\Users (or C:\Documents and Settings)could be a VFS when ROS actually runs, if the folder is actually stored there, no problem. But if you want to actually store your profile data somewhere else, then it should allow you to do so and the entry under C:\Users can then become a hidden symbolic link for applications that insist on using hardcoded paths

(I've found a few in my time even for the My Documents, which can be changed at will)
NTFS holds the features required to do this. I have placed part of those locations on other drives and created links.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Those paths are stored in the Registry. I believe MS has a powertoy that allows you to tweak those settings.
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

Built in codec manager sounds interesting
etko

Post by etko »

Z98 - if you are responding to moving profile elsewhere it's not possible to do it reliably. From time to time it deletes the moved profile at will.