adding support for 2 mice

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jeremyk

adding support for 2 mice

Post by jeremyk »

is there any way that you can use 2 mice on one system?

Like if you had a driver and each port that had a mouse hooked up it whould just make mouse1 mouse2 ect so it knew what mouse was what and wich one was clicking on what.

If there is no support right now can some one show me were the mouse driver is for react os so I can see if I can modify it and make support for 2 mice. It does not seam like it would be to hard to do you just set it up so that you could use 2 mice then 2 keyboards then 2 monitors with seprate desktops.

I work at dell and when I was in consumer people would call in asking to do something like that. I know that it is not supported right now but sence this is open source I bet some one can modify it so it is supported. Like 2 monitors works already so all you do is modify the exploer code so when it clones the desktop then make each one there own instance so that each person could use each desktop on each monitor with a differnt desktop ,mouse and keyboard

It may not be possible at this time but it would be fun.

So if any one can point in the right direction and also tell in the source were the mouse driver is I would be very thankful.

And if any one needs help on working on anything just email me at
"Jeremy_king@dell.com"/"kingpinzs@hotmail.com"
I willing to help with anything.
I know C/c++,qbasic,visual basic,and turbo pascal
Last edited by jeremyk on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

I havw, when running windows me, used two mice. One was a normal PS/2 mounse, and another a usb. The os could not destinguish between wich one. It would be kinda cool if you could have it distinguish (and have two pointers on the screen).
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

Well I pluged in a ps/2 usb and serial and they all worked but were all using the same pointer so it might just be the code that controls the actuel gui pointer
Dolphin

Post by Dolphin »

Where is the point in having 2 mouse pointers on the same screen :?:

Do you use one to select a new window/application and the other is used to select items from menus? I don't think this makes much sense. The only example I can think of is a multiplayer game where 2 people sit in front of the PC and play against each other and everyone has its own mouse (and I guess there would be some problems with mouse event handling in this example)

I think it would make much more sense when the input is splitted between two (or more) desktops, like jeremyk already mentioned.
A working software is special state of chaos
that might behave as you have expected it to do.
frik85
Developer

Re: adding support for 2 mice

Post by frik85 »

jeremyk wrote:So if any one can point in the right direction and also tell in the source were the mouse driver is I would be very thankful.
http://svn.reactos.com/viewcvs/trunk/re ... ers/input/

Download the source code via SVN client.
Information:
http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/Subversion
Jaix
Moderator Team

multiple mouses <=> Multiple logins

Post by Jaix »

Multiple mouses means that we also need multiple logins'a multi - user environment because we will need two start menues and two desktops.
Well I think we will have to move in that direction sooner or later. I hope sooner.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

Dolphin wrote:Where is the point in having 2 mouse pointers on the same screen :?:
You could get two screens, and two mice. Then you could replace two workstations with one. I know this ould save my school alot of money if they could / would do that.
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

meklort wrote:I know this ould save my school alot of money if they could / would do that.
That's why Windows doesn't support it :P

I would like that option, too. Isn't something like this possible in Linux?
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

That option will be great!!
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

gasmann wrote:I would like that option, too. Isn't something like this possible in Linux?
I think you can do the multiple displays in linux, but i havent tried with miltiple mice (or keyboards).
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

meklort wrote:I think you can do the multiple displays in linux, but i havent tried with miltiple mice (or keyboards).
Of cause you can have two displays. I have that on Windows and Linux at the moment. But AFAIK no 2 mice, no 2 keyboards, no 2 users loged in. (at least none of them in that way)
The only example I can think of is a multiplayer game where 2 people sit in front of the PC and play against each other and everyone has its own mouse
A long long time ago I used to play "The Settlers II" (build-up game) with a friend that way.
Dolphin

Post by Dolphin »

A long long time ago I used to play "The Settlers II" (build-up game) with a friend that way.
Yeah, the good old days :) DOS ruled :D
Well I guess those games are now bannished by multiplayer network games (some of them aren't that bad either...)
A working software is special state of chaos
that might behave as you have expected it to do.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

Dr. Fred wrote:
meklort wrote:I think you can do the multiple displays in linux, but i havent tried with miltiple mice (or keyboards).
Of cause you can have two displays. I have that on Windows and Linux at the moment. But AFAIK no 2 mice, no 2 keyboards, no 2 users loged in. (at least none of them in that way)
The only example I can think of is a multiplayer game where 2 people sit in front of the PC and play against each other and everyone has its own mouse
In linux you can have two different people logged in on the same screen.(thats what i mean by multiple displays) You can also have two screens, each with different the different logins.The only thing i have not done is to be able to use two mice and keyboards, affecting only one screen, but instead affecting the same pointer.
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

So it looks like some people are interested in this.

Can any one point me in the right direct of how to get started on doing this?

Is it in the driver or in the pointer calls?

can I just add a file in that will do this or will i have to edit most of the core source to make this happen?

Just anything that will help.

To think of this in a logical way.

what would be the order things work in?

1)load mouse driver
2)something attaches the cursor to the position of the mouse.

So I think the question is how does windows mouse pointer work?

Can so one give me a diagram of the order things work for the mouse?

Thanks
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

jeremyk wrote:what would be the order things work in?

1)load mouse driver
2)something attaches the cursor to the position of the mouse.

So I think the question is how does windows mouse pointer work?

Can so one give me a diagram of the order things work for the mouse?
Ok, i dont know any programming langueages very well (except maby php), but ill give it a try.
What i would think should happen is:
1) detect two screens, if there is only one, then you cant do this (or emulate a second screen)
2) if you have two screens, add an option in the controll panal for 'multi-desktop workstation' or such.
3) If multi-... set, detect for two mice / tell the user (if (s)he can) to add another mouse, and if only one mouse, then the second screen wont have one. Bind mouse one to screen one, and mouse two to screen two.
3) if 2 screens... determin if two keyboards, (same as above step..).
4)Now, since the user has selected two screens, make sure only two draw one scren on each, not the same screen.
5) When reactos get a mouse interupt, detect wich mouse was moved, and only update the corrisponding scrren, same thign with the keyboard.
That is probably some of the things you would need to do.