comment on this project

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

horrify

comment on this project

Post by horrify »

I don't know why i should write this but i think there is not enough commitment we can see on the developers.There is no clear date on every release...And while Microsoft has come out with server 2008, we still working on alpha stage OS with no clear future. Eventhough i'm supporting all the works done by the developers but honestly i don't satisfied with how this project been managed ...The deadline is very important for every project on this world...from film producing to building a skyscraper...I know how difficult to set up this project but please!!I want to see this project succesful and able to compete with Windows..Just put a deadline at lease for the final release. We should never criticise windows because we know we are still far behind------------------
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

Feel free to help ReactOS. Submit patches, help with testing, join the development team if you want to speed things up.

If you are not satisfied with something join our irc channel and discuss it with the devs.
Stefan100
Developer

Post by Stefan100 »

"We"? Have you contributed to the project in any way?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Deadline? You have mistaken a few things. Microsoft has an army of well paid coders. Even WINE devs have commercial support in finance.

Our devs work in their spare time. Most of them have day occupation/job/studies. We still lack coders, especially those skilled in kernel/drivers. Even though, we still get aroud 20 revisions per day, which is quite an achievement. It cannot go any faster without more coders. Period.

Saying that there is not enough commitment, is something not only untrue, but also unjust and even offending.
florian

Post by florian »

Furthermore probably most developers and many community-members do like NT-based Windows. Maybe not everything and maybe not some of the MS politics but hey that`s the reason why ReactOS is developed by some constructive people.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

2nded 8)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
milesje

Post by milesje »

I have been fallowing this project for about 2 years and I must say that it has astounded me just how much has been done in just 2 short years. I am very hopeful and optimistic about this project! I for one can not wait until it reaches beta stage and is ready for everyday use. I for one have been a supporter of Linux for many years, but have not been able to convence my wife to swich from Microsoft and this may just be my chance to stop forking over a few hundred dollars every year or so.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Its getting over the bump. The difference between a hobby project and a production usable one.

Linux and Wine's early years were slow. Big thing is to avoid forking of project massively as what happened to wine when it went commercial.

Linux Kernel developers when it reached stability number of developers quaded. Note 100 percent to Linux developers when it started were just hobbyist since its crossed the bump number of hobbyists is now under 20 percent and dropping.

Its the normal growth shape no fixed dead lines for the start of a project. When it crosses the bump and commercials enter dead lines appear. Windows products are crippled.