React OS better than Windows?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

thinkingdownloader

React OS better than Windows?

Post by thinkingdownloader »

I realise that ReactOS is by no means Windows.

And I know that Linux has some advantages over Windows such as the fact that it has no need for defragmenting and it doesn't allow users and viruses to change system files; you needing to input a password to get administrative privileges.

I'm wondering, will ReactOS implement these Linux strong points(as well as others) in it's design?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

ReactOS is not Windows. ReactOS is a Windows clone.

Its not true that Linux doesnt require defragmenting. Fragmentation happens everywhere, especially if HDD is filled with data up to its size. No magic will prevent fragmentation then.

Both Linux and Windows do not fragment just by itself.

As for last issue, blame users who run on Admin acc and app developers, which force their apps to be runned from Admin. Its not Windows`s fault.

Actually, when Vista is trying to break from this bad behaviour, its being punished as "unfriendly"...

I dont see any Linux strongpoints we need to implement. We just need to carefully think over those already present in Windows system.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Haos Lot of Linux file systems are highly fragmentation resistant.

So highly fragmentation resistant that one defrag program for linux does not have any direct interface with the file system. All it does is scans for a fragmented file from inode information(Linux internal block display so file system neutral) and tells the filesystem to move it and its magically defraged. No special operation required. General usage can trigger defrags.

Even just writing a extra block to a file can create a defrag event on some Linux filesystems.

Linux will defrag threw general use more than windows. So far that Vista has a background defrag program to keep its fragmentation under control.

Linux fragmention is a lot slower due to these minor changes.

Note Linux installed on FAT32(yes you can) Suxs on fragmentation about as much as Windows. There are little design problems in the way windows handles files. Nothing not fixable in Ros while keeping support for Windows.

It can take years at times to get Linux filesystem above 5 percent fragmented. Now you have seen the first reason. Fragmentation resistance in filesystems. Lot of people under linux reach the defrag point when the hardware needs replacing. So the idea of no need for defragmenting comes from the time to need to defrag comes around.

Windows does have a common cause of fragmentation called restore snapshots and altering swapfile sizes. Reactos should support swap partitions outbox. There is a important difference on fragmentation by using them. Spliting of tmp to its own partition can also have positive effects on fragmentation. Theses are little tricks Linux and Unix have been using for a long time due to great positive effects. MS did have support for swap partitions back in Windows 2000. But it default option still was swapfile.

Note HDD filled no room for play nothing can help you much then.

Please note it is MS fault on that run as Admin in the docs of the Creator of NT design Admin was never ment to be created alone.(Hello Windows NT 3.5 default user Admin level no requirement to create the extra user) User and Admin account should have always be created. Note MS decide that was too user unfriendly and removed it.

Now they have 1000s of programs that need it. Whos fault is it. Microsoft's. Buck stops with the person who decide to disobey the Creator advice.

Support for fragmentation resistant file systems have to be up there on the wish list.

tomleem

ROS is better than Windows (especially Vista)

Post by tomleem »

I think ROS is better than Windows since it is does not take up alot of space, has less hardware requirements and costs less. It also has a cooler logo. :lol: 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

Sand

Post by Sand »

Backgroud defragmentation does not improve the performance of a system. Just the opposite. If you're looking for a system which does not fragment files at all, it is RT-11.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Fragmentation Resistant Filesystems are not exactly Background defraging.

Vista does background defraging that cost a lot of extra processor time.

RT-11 fragments free space. It is only party Fragmentation resistant.

Fragmentation Resistant attempt to take advantage of normal operations to undo fragmentation.

So writing a file system attempt to put in one block. If moving or rewriting a file move it to make free space more constant. Note the extra cost of doing this is very small.

NTFS contains some Fragmentation resistance just not as active as the as most of the good fragmentation resistant file systems under linux.

FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Haos wrote: Actually, when Vista is trying to break from this bad behaviour, its being punished as "unfriendly"...
That's because all of these grandma's that were used to windows just running stuff never had to do it before. Us on linux are so used to it... :)

FlyingIsFun1217

Jawmht

Post by Jawmht »

oiaohm wrote:Reactos should support swap partitions outbox.
It may prevent some fragmentation, but it requires the drive head to move to much farther each time to swap memory then a file. If I had a choice between longer disk life and slightly lower fragmentation, I would choose the former.

iD4rK

Post by iD4rK »

Should be able to choose on install.

tomleem

eCS?

Post by tomleem »

Sand wrote:Backgroud defragmentation does not improve the performance of a system. Just the opposite. If you're looking for a system which does not fragment files at all, it is RT-11.
It is one of the reason I like to use eComStation. http://www.ecomstation.com It does not (really) fragment the files; hence, does not need to be defragment. :)

I like ReactOS because it is small / non-bloated. It takes up little space. :)

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

Sand

Post by Sand »

Ecomstation really fragments files like any other OS.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Jawmht Sorry to say the damage between a swap partition and swapfile on drive usage if swapfile is fragmented its worse.

If swapfile is not fragmented the life of drive is equal to swap partiton.

There is no advantages in swapfiles other than quick resizing.

Linux has been even less when a complete drive has a been used a swap partition.

tomleem

No it does not

Post by tomleem »

Sand wrote:Ecomstation really fragments files like any other OS.
I do not need to defragment eCS (an updated OS/2 Warp). 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Sand wrote:Ecomstation really fragments files like any other OS.
It depends on it's filesystem.

FlyingIsFun1217

opticburst

Post by opticburst »

I think if we can implament a more ajax look to ROS it may help alot. Vista has pretty much been declared to be a dud. However, I love the visual interface Vista is using. Xp was okay but now Vista is using more transparent objects and cleaner design. Everything and anything else about Vista sukzzz...
- Jason Jersey, CEO
Optic Burst Communications Group®
On demand hosting - affordable web hosting
http://www.OpticBurst.com