Bundle useful software like OpenOffice.org? Vote now!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

What do you want?

Bundle them and install them without the user choosing on normal install.
3%
Bundle them and let the user choose on normal install.
22%
No bundled apps!
57%
We just need firefox bundled, but nothing else.
15%
We just need Openoffice.org bundled, but nothing else.
No votes
We just need Thunderbird bundled, but nothing else.
No votes
We just need firefox and Thuderbird bundled, but nothing else.
3%

Total votes: 67

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Yes, our current explorer with auto-downloaded mozilla engine acts as a simple browser.
However it's kinda hard to get ANYTHING from the Internet if you don't have ANY web browser at the moment.
ORLY? I was sure i only need a command line ftp client to connect to any public FTP server and get any of the popular browsers i would like. The only situation, when bundled browser might be usefull is when a router doesnt work OOTB, which is like one to thousand cases? Even then you can get a CD or USB flash drive and get a few apps there.

It seems that you havent build ROS by yourself, if you`d try, your approach on putting stuff into ROS would change by 180 degrees.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

ORLY? I was sure i only need a command line ftp client to connect to any public FTP server and get any of the popular browsers i would like. The only situation, when bundled browser might be usefull is when a router doesnt work OOTB, which is like one to thousand cases? Even then you can get a CD or USB flash drive and get a few apps there.
ReactOS 1.0 will be targeted to "normal" users, not only geeks. You can't assume that every users know how to use a command line ftp client. I don't know it personally.
But that is not an argument for bundling firefox. As long as there is Downloader to download the browser that you want, then all other software, that's enough but essential.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Normal user should know how to get install files for few apps burned on CD-RW and copy them to ROS.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Can you people just stop this bloody argument? I'm starting to lose patience with this whole affair and am tempted to just lock this thing. All of you, just walk away.

tsvetanmail

Post by tsvetanmail »

We just need firefox and Thuderbird bundled, but nothing else. :)

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Can you people just stop this bloody argument? I'm starting to lose patience with this whole affair and am tempted to just lock this thing. All of you, just walk away.
My argument is that only a software like Downloader should be included. So I agree with you.
Last edited by cmoibenlepro on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

LRN

Post by LRN »

I'm starting to lose patience with this whole affair and am tempted to just lock this thing.
Do it then.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

tsvetanmail wrote:We just need firefox and Thuderbird bundled, but nothing else. :)
No, we dont. We can manage perfectly without those.

menno

Post by menno »

nice to see a few people are arguing for a kind of "free software" that is conceptually lost on too many people. there's free as in beer, free as in speech, but not many people grasp "free as in choice."

choosing every app for people just means they'll end up lite-ing, as someone already said. but because ros is free as in speech, you can make a "distro" when the time comes with all the toys on it you want to include, and host it for people. but ros can barely run yet.

the devs don't like distros, and they make good arguments against them. but i'm sure you'll have your big fat isos somewhere, i prefer the idea of a custom iso builder. that would be sweet.

as for hosting, it gets bigger and cheaper. if you want to host an iso with ros and oo, you can probably do it for free these days, i've seen free file hosts that are just about generous enough, and the free software community can be quite charitable when it comes to hosting. but the points the devs make about distros are always worth another look, even if at the end of the day, it's pretty much everyone's to do what they want with it.

mgmechanics

please don't software with the OS

Post by mgmechanics »

I do not wish to have software bundled with the OS:
1) i wish to make it as easy as possible for the devlopers - i can install software but not develop the OS
2) bundled apps will open security gaps (buffer overflow issues, backdoors ...) - what's not here makes no problems
3) it would make ROS to fat - someone who attempt to use it as an OS for a "100$-Notebook" or an EEE-PC or an embedded device has to deal with "how to make ROS lean / how to free ROS from not needed stuff" - it cuold lead her/him to another OS

If someone want to make an "ROS + 1000 free apps" - distro may do this. I like ROS because it is lean.