Bundle useful software like OpenOffice.org? Vote now!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

What do you want?

Bundle them and install them without the user choosing on normal install.
3%
Bundle them and let the user choose on normal install.
22%
No bundled apps!
57%
We just need firefox bundled, but nothing else.
15%
We just need Openoffice.org bundled, but nothing else.
No votes
We just need Thunderbird bundled, but nothing else.
No votes
We just need firefox and Thuderbird bundled, but nothing else.
3%

Total votes: 67

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

All ready can tomleem.

Problem is we don't want to download 650 meg iso when 12 megs is all we need.

Reason why I said before a tool to build a users own disk of the applications they want. Not the ones we pick. Could OEM's provide there Own disks of course. This is exactly the idea. Fully customizable.

Most Linux distros are fully customizable too. Reason why debian has under 100 meg installer. The rest of the packages shiped on disks are just saving you downloads.

Other problem is there are all ready open source cds for windows. Some ways we would be better attempting to work with them. Maybe even having them put ros on there disk with there applications. Ie they become our distros.
Baldomero

Post by Baldomero »

I think that the Ros installation should be lean, just the main OS.

With a package manager and internet conection you could install additional software, even there could be a first time assistant to get basic software on the first run of ros once installed.

And finally, for those with no internet, or low bandwith internet connection, the possibility to download a software bundle CD, and then integrate it into the package manager.

I think this is the easy and comfortable way to allow everybody to get their software and install it.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I voted to bundle them BUT only bundle them if size allows.

For example, if ReactOS leaves space on a CD, then i say lets make use of the remainding space. If there is no space left, dont bundle (i.e. its stupid to create an extra CD just because of bundled apps... ppl can download these on their own anyway)

I have however ONE point i want to make:
I think this bundle-functionality should be part of a small ReactOS GUI.
For example, the reactos installer could have an option where you can add a few apps to it, i.e. in a single .xml file or so... then user could remaster ReactOS easily and i.e. offer it on a DVD with bundled software (i do NOT talk about commercial selling of ReactOS here! I am talking about making these available for only the cost of the dvd to people nearby etc.. etc..)

I see that most people dont want to bundle things. This is fine, but i hope the developers consider that there might be usecases to have the OPTION available to bundle things later. (yes yes, this is still a long way in the future, but i wanted to mention it early too)
cppm

Post by cppm »

Surely this discussion is meaningless since once ROS is good enough to be worth bundling apps, people will be creating their own flavours? As has happened with both Windows and Linux
FSX

Post by FSX »

THIS IS WHY WE HAVE DOWNLOADER.
tomleem

second cd with apps?

Post by tomleem »

Perhaps the apps were on an optional second cd? :?: :idea: Perhaps a web page type interface to install them and give more information on the app? :?: :idea:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
fred02

Post by fred02 »

An other vote for clean lean bare bone OS. Downloaded live CD v0.3.3 yesterday. What a pleasure! 20 MiB file, 80MiB image. Tested on a real hardware (Athlon750/640MiB RAM). Boots faster than native ME, even from CD-RW. Could no launch any apps though, but hey, it's an alpha.

ReactOS is primarily a kernel, and nobody distributes apps with Linux kernel. :D Personally I will replace even the ReactOS Explorer as soon as LiteStep will run on it, but this is just personal taste (or IMHO, as you prefer). Besides, as many people pointed, as soon as a hardware-able version is out, distros will spring by themselves. :)
tomleem

ROS APPS Section?

Post by tomleem »

http://www.linux.org/apps/
Perhaps a 'ROS apps section for this site like the above? :?:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
disks86

DotNet

Post by disks86 »

The DotNet framework isn't really extra software. thats like calling gdi extra software. It will be needed to run future windows programs. Like it or not that is where the industry is going. Trust me where I work I code in .net all day. I rarely touch c/c++ on new projects.

The project seems to be aimed at only including stuff that is like something included with windows. With few exceptions. Firefox,Open Office, etc don't fall into that category however DotNet does as 2003,vista, and 2008 include some version of the DotNet framework and This will likely continue into the foreseeable future. Also like I said it is required for software written in a DotNet language so to "Run your software" it will be needed.

As for the extras using the downloader is fine with me. Extras being software not implementing functionality included in windows.
Talk is cheap. Show me the code. - Linus Torvalds
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

In the hope of ending this discussion once and for all, let me make this clear.

An internet browser will likely make it in. There are enough devs who think it necessary that it's more or less inevitable. But stop debating which one should until we get to preparing the 0.5 release.

We will not include an office suite. That is far too big.

As far as .NET goes, again, wait until the 0.5 release. We're monitoring the efforts of Mono and dotGNU. When the time comes, a decision will be made.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

OK, OK, OK
But it should have firefox and thunderbird, as xp has email and web
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Why Firefox and not Opera? Why Thunderbird and not Pegasus Mail??

Why you are so certain that your choice is the best choice possible?
LRN

Post by LRN »

Because Opera isn't free, and Pegasus isn't free, while Firefox and Thunderbird are.
Though i think it should be something...simpler. FF and TB are just too complex, powerful and big. ReactOS needs something...small. It should work, but without fancy.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You totally missed my point. You cannot force anyone into using those apps that YOU would like, no matter if they`re free or not.

FF isn`t the best browser out there you know...
LRN

Post by LRN »

ReactOS does not need 'the best browser' or 'apps that I would like'.
ReactOS needs a web-browser that is:
1) Small (very small).
2) Capable of all the basic functions and nothing more.
3) Free software.
FireFox (stripped down version or portable version) fits here allright. Or some other browser i am not aware of.
User is free to replace this browser with anything else. Distributor is free to replace this browser with anything else in his ReactOS distribution. Actually this is probably one of the first things you should do after installation - get yourself a decent browser. However it's kinda hard to get ANYTHING from the Internet if you don't have ANY web browser at the moment.
That is why Z98 said that 'An internet browser will likely make it in'.
ReactOS downloader may be a good idea, but it is not guaranteed to provide up-to-date software, or may not have necessary software products at all (thus forcing user to use something else user does not want to use - just as you described).