I can help with visual GUI designer for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

oiaohm wrote:Most of the lot of windows floating about are left overs from early X11 gui design.

Gimp windows everywhere design is hated so much that there is a fork called gimpshop.

Problem with GTK is the idea of windows everywhere starts at the standard GUI editor. http://glade.gnome.org/screenshots.html

So I can understand if Greatlord would prefer something like the Kdevelop rad editor so people don't get the idea of coping a bad idea for most people.
Still, the 'only' thing this needs is a parent form and a way of docking the forms like children MDI windows are dockable in visual studio... Same for the GIMP, and the GIMP is being subject of a GUI brainstorm which I hope will lead to some nice results :).
-graey-
mrhx

Post by mrhx »

Yes, the interface of my gui designer is too weak yet :oops:
But I am thinking about improvements :)
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

mrhx wrote:Yes, the interface of my gui designer is too weak yet :oops:
But I am thinking about improvements :)
Well I think you should keep up the good work mate.
mrhx

wxLua?

Post by mrhx »

Who knows why wxLua is not working in ReactOS?
It works in Wine, but not in ROS :(

It says the following:

Error: Module "wxIdleWakeUpModule" initialization failed
Error: Initialization failed in post init. aborting.

...I have an idea to rewrite my gui designer in wxLua to make it platform-independent....
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We would advise against WxWidgets. As a library, it's not that well designed and has some subtle bugs that can cause some major problems for the apps written using it. For example, VLC.
vins

Post by vins »

mrhx, Great GUI designer. It helped me much. Thanks!
etko

Post by etko »

Windows everywhere from early X's Motif based design can get appreciated when you have multiple monitors.

However, clutter on the taskbar can get quite bad easily, so far best UI I've experienced on dual/tri-monitor setup was GTKradiant's one. You can shape it any way u like, detach and place some panels and windows onto another monitor. Second best UI in my opininon is latrest foobar's with Panels concept which you can shape seriously too.

Maybe someone should dive into it and provide some generic solutions to this mess CSDI, SDI, MDI, TabbedDI.

My personal guess is that some Dockable-Panel-Tabbed-SDI-MDI hybrid would be best :)).

Task-bar grouping, and Windows inability to list modal and non-modal dialogs could be maybe revisited too.
mrhx

Post by mrhx »

Z98 wrote:We would advise against WxWidgets. As a library, it's not that well designed and has some subtle bugs that can cause some major problems for the apps written using it. For example, VLC.
Hmm.. So, what's the best choice? :) Qt?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Here's the thing. Cross platform libraries all make some major concessions to be cross platform. And I'm not kidding. These libraries especially seem to have problems with Windows at times. It's up to you to decide what library you want to use, but make sure that it fits with what you want your program to do. Do you intend for your program to be a GUI builder for more than the win32 API? Or do you intend for it to also be able to generate code for, say, Qt or gtk?
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Also there is almost not point building a new dialog editor for QT. You would be going head to head with a full IDE in Kdevelop. Version 4 of Kdevelop will be coming to windows.

There is a hole in the development word for a pure win32 ide. Thinking well coded it can still go cross platform. Binding to wine.

QT was build partially to be able to run on windows so it has very few issues. Mostly more memory usage than pure win32. QT usage is about at the same level as MS's C++ interfaces for GUI development.

wxwidgets were built to make the interface wrappered over so yep issues. Lot of stuff has too much wrapping.

GTK was never designed for windows system system to be under it so it has a lot of issues where it has to take long ways to make it match up from what would work well on X11 to what windows needs.

History and design effects how well each one works. Still for windows if you are after fastest and the lightest memory usage you still have to return to pure win32.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

This is why none of those components, will have any chance on becoming popular on windows, if not converted to native win32 beforehand. Too much translation issues and performance/stability issues ensured right now.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

QT is popular lot of people use QT commercial programs without knowing it.

Yes the other ones do have problems.
LRN

Post by LRN »

none of those components, will have any chance on becoming popular on windows, if not converted to native win32 beforehand
From my point of view, anything that is native win32 sucks. All native win32 applications will inherit all native win32 bugs and stupid behaviour. Using the kits relying on native controls and functions (like wxWidgets) will result in your application looking and behaving differently on different platforms.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You must have been extremely unlucky with third party win apps but you cant blame win32 API for not being implemented correctly by some devs.
LRN

Post by LRN »

but you cant blame win32 API for not being implemented correctly by some devs.
Some devs? Be honest with it: Microsoft devs. Ever heard of GetOpenFileName() filter length 260 bug? It wasn't fixed. Stumbled upon it just recently.