ReactX - Wrapper or not?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

eXile

ReactX - Wrapper or not?

Post by eXile »

Hi,

I got a pretty general question (thus I posted it in the general discussion forum ;)):
Will ReactX be a wrapper around OpenGL (like WineD3D), or will it be a own implementation communicating with the graphics driver?

Cheers,
eXile.
InFeRnODeMoN

Post by InFeRnODeMoN »

It's from the ground up.
Using a cheap GL wrapper is a hackish and possibly compatibility-breaking solution
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

It will be a REAL DirectX, no Wrapper to OGL. But first some GDI and win32k Stuff needs work.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

To be correct Reactos most likely have both.

Wined3d and React X. React X being a real standard Direct X.

Wined3d being a wrapper to opengl and the like for emulator support and to compare React X against to make sure its doing everything.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

oiaohm wrote:To be correct Reactos most likely have both.
When an actual developer says otherwise, I'd like to have some proof. I seriously doubt it will be anything but a real own implementation. I know it's going to take a while, but I'm already looking forward to it :).
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

A clarification. Until full implementation is complete, it actually is viable to use some of WINE's DLLs for certain DX features.
cppm

Post by cppm »

AFAIK Current windows design would make it difficult to have 2 Dx implementations installed.

As the system get mature we should really have some kinda mechanism for installing/removing/switching components that would otherwise be just defaulted with windows (explorer, directx, .net, various libraries etc)
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Wined3d works with windows just by swapping dlls.

Of course you cannot use both at once. You have to select what one you wish to use.

Only main reason for wined3d is testing and inside vm's. Please note wined3d development is currently being assisted in places by Parallels vm to use with XP 2000 2003 so Direct X can be past back to the opengl of the host os. They were also the ones that proved the port was possible. Of course wined3d might disappear from usefulness if React X has a driver that can talk back to opengl if needed.

So a install option would be enough. Because I guess in time React X will have direct 10 native without needing wined3d to boost. Other reason why wined3d is being ported.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

wined3d are only a tempary solvtions until our own native dx are ready.
as Z98 say. he is inform why wined3d was imported and it still have some issue it does not work in ReactOS for ReactOS or mesa3d bugs.
cppm

Post by cppm »

wined3d are only a tempary solvtions until our own native dx are ready.
as Z98 say. he is inform why wined3d was imported and it still have some issue it does not work in ReactOS for ReactOS or mesa3d bugs.
Now here's a question, is it really reactos's place to prescribe a Dx implementation?

Or for that matter any of the other higher user components?
I mean isn't the MS monoculture part of what's wrong with windows?

For example i was surprised to find that ReactOS is coming up with it's own .net implementation, when Mono is out there already...
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

YES. A true Direct X can use Direct X drivers.

Wined3d cannot. Note not all cards have Opengl drivers. Some have Opengl to direct X wrappers. Wine would be completely useless with them.

Pnet and Mono are both options for .net. Please note Mono directly supports different versions. If it was found ros's .net would perform better with alterations to make it more correct I see no reason why not do it.

Please note Reactos Direct X last time I asked GreatLord is being based on Windows 2000 design. This one program running cannot crash OS by calling it wrong. XP you can crash the OS by calling it wrong. It is not a major speed difference either.

Microsoft problem is not only a mono culture problem. It is that OS stability and security are put second at times traded for user ability and speed.