ReactOS Mobile

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kirillratkin

ReactOS Mobile

Post by kirillratkin »

Guys (sorry, Ladies and Gentlemen),

I wanna ask you. Do you have any ideas about porting ROS to smartphones? The question arised when that 'windows mobile 5.0' did'n allow me to answer on very important call. I almost flung this f.... device to exterminate it. But my car is not guilty and I don't want to damage it by that f.... device with ugly OS.
And I decided to ask you. May I have prospect to see normal OS on my smartphone?
kirillratkin

Post by kirillratkin »

Please, move it to 'General Discussion' or ... just remove it. I'm impressed by WM 5.0 behavior.
tomleem

Different Variatioins?

Post by tomleem »

It would be interesting to see different variations on ReactOS; ReactOS Mobile, ReactOS for compact electronics, embedded ROS, etc. :idea: All variations after the 1.0 version. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

probably one day but probably not anytime soon
InFeRnODeMoN

Post by InFeRnODeMoN »

Windows Mobile isn't Windows at all. It's an optimized Win32 port to ARM with various tweaks and hacks.
I know, common sense can be a quite strange thing...
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Thats a whole 'nother CPU architecture that would have to be worked on...

Nonetheless, I would LOVE to see that :D

FlyingIsFun1217
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

I doubt there will ever be a ReactOS mobile. Is there Linux mobile that companies use for their smartphones?

ReactOS is about a free windows-like desktop. Unless it becomes very popular (like at least 10% of the os market share) I doubt any companies would be interested in having a similar mobile os on their smartphone.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Actually, there is a Linux mobile. As there is a Windows mobile. There's not a one to one comparison between them, but Linux is used in a lot of mobile phones and the like.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

What smartphones use Linux? All the smartphones I know of use Windows CE/Mobile or the iPhone, with Mac OS X Mobile.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Artguy10 a lot http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9423084269.html

Linux out ships Windows CE/Mobile at a two to 1 average in the smart phone market.

But the most phones smartphones included is Symbian OS. Nokia either uses Linux or Symbain. It kinda makes sense thinking Nokia own 47 percent of Symbian OS parent company. So they get a large sections of the money they pay to Symbian back. The new Nokia N class of all in one devices is pure Symbian.

Symbian OS makes up like 75 percent of the OS's on Phones. So Linux and windows are bit players.

PS. Some markets lot more than 2 to 1 http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9419753617.html . 2 to 1 is the global average.
tomleem

Palm SmartPhones?

Post by tomleem »

artguy10 wrote:What smartphones use Linux? All the smartphones I know of use Windows CE/Mobile or the iPhone, with Mac OS X Mobile.
I think the Palm SmartPhones will be using a variation of the Linux os; IIRC. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
It exists one manufctor that using linux in their smartphone it was on slashdot if I rember right or osnews

Here is the list of OS I known being use in smartphone

1. QIU
Nokia using it in their phons, and few other manufactor using it as well

2. Windows CE
Using by HTC phones and few others

3. Windows moblie
Using also by HTC and few others

4. windows embeded
Using by few phone

5. Linux
One manufactor are using linux in all their phones and smartphones

Then we got manufactors own OS as well I do not list them here
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

did you mean UIQ? UIQ is not system, it's a software platform based upon Symbian OS.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

UIQ is Symbia OS
it is the short name, and their website name it as UIQ x.x SDK (Symbia OS SDK)
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

both wikipedia and uiq websites describe it as a ui and development platform, not as OS:
http://www.uiq.com/uiqplatform.html
UIQ is a flexible and customizable user interface and development platform. It is pre-integrated and tested with Symbian OS, the leading industry standard operating system for smartphones. By using the UIQ software platform it is possible to create an entire portfolio of highly diversified phones for different user segments, all based on a single codeline.