Install ReactOS under DOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KirillSp

Install ReactOS under DOS?

Post by KirillSp »

Hello!

I have an old Toshiba Satellite notebook with:

- 133 MHz
- 16 MB RAM
- 2 GB HDD
- Floppy
- CD-Drive

I would like to install ReactOS there, but the notebook hasn't the "Boot-from-CD" option in his BIOS, so I decided to install DOS there.

But is it also possible to install ReactOS on this system? When I want to install, it just says: This program cannot be run under DOS.

What can I do?

Thanks!

roytam1

Re: Install ReactOS under DOS?

Post by roytam1 »

KirillSp wrote:Hello!

I have an old Toshiba Satellite notebook with:

- 133 MHz
- 16 MB RAM
- 2 GB HDD
- Floppy
- CD-Drive

I would like to install ReactOS there, but the notebook hasn't the "Boot-from-CD" option in his BIOS, so I decided to install DOS there.

But is it also possible to install ReactOS on this system? When I want to install, it just says: This program cannot be run under DOS.

What can I do?

Thanks!
Try writing BCDL on the floppy.
http://bootcd.narod.ru/bcdl_e.htm

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Won't work. ROS needs at least 64MB of RAM to install right now. In the past people have gotten it down to like 12, but we expect to enforce a minimum of 32 when we fix that installer bug.

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

ReactOS is not optimized in many matters at this point. I suppose by beta it will be much closer to Windows 3.1 levels in RAM use than it is now.
Programmers: Help us put Vista graphics drivers on Linux! The WDOL Project Homepage

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You may be able to install it on 24 MB RAM IF you use a Release Built ISO with Stripped down apps ("set ROS_LEAN_AND_MEAN = yes" in cmd window before build or "make bootcd strip" in RosBE). Some weeks ago, this worked for me
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.