(indipendent) Windows tools projects

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

(indipendent) Windows tools projects

Post by forart »

I just discovered (and, of course, invited their authors to collaborate) two interesting projects:
  • Windows Powertools (PD) - a collection of easy to use tools which allow you to speed up your pc ,do maintanence work and help you stay in control of your pc. New! convert FAT32 partitions to NTFS and compress your hard disks.

Tools that make Windows usable (GPL) - This package contains the command line tools you've always missed on Windows. The tools can all be downloaded from other websites. This package will just simplify the download and installation of the tools.
Hope that helps !
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

First one: Very crappy wrapper written in batch. Second one: Maybe useful, but they don't do anything ReactOS truly needs, especially at this point.. Now, instead of flaming I'll explain the criteria for the kinds of sources useful:

- File system drivers in some cases
- Programs written purely in C
- When it comes to file system stuff, it needs to be independent of the Windows API for its actually operations (besides direct access) - making a GUI is relatively easy compared to what the underlying components are doing.

Also, I'd like to leave a message about NTFS-3g. Its fully stable and extremely usable now. Can any one tell me if the Linux file system driver architecture is too different from the WDM one? I haven't dug into any Linux drivers in the past, but if i had enough time on my hands (damn school XD) I'd at least try to find the differences. Yeah yeah, I know, you've heard it before. But i keep getting deeper and deeper into kernel development, any one of these days i'll be writing drivers, functional or not...
Programmers: Help us put Vista graphics drivers on Linux! The WDOL Project Homepage

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Linux doesn't HAVE a driver architecture in the sense that Windows does. You do a lot of direct manipulation of kernel data structures (horrible idea), which is why drivers have to be updated almost every kernel update. That's a slight exaggeration, but not by much.

Does NTFS-3G support all the security features NTFS has? If no, then it's still not useful to us. And 3G isn't even a kernel driver, if I recall correctly.

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Z98 wrote:Linux doesn't HAVE a driver architecture in the sense that Windows does. You do a lot of direct manipulation of kernel data structures (horrible idea), which is why drivers have to be updated almost every kernel update. That's a slight exaggeration, but not by much.
I feared that. And i know it sucks, If i could try to design a basic architecture i would but its just too big even if i got it working and i needed to simply port the drivers i needed to run
Z98 wrote:Does NTFS-3G support all the security features NTFS has? If no, then it's still not useful to us.
Its still useful. Its not a one day thing to make a stable NTFS driver!
Z98 wrote:And 3G isn't even a kernel driver, if I recall correctly.
True, true. That could possibly make it useless to anything other than a quite large bit of modifications, but i can't imagine it being any different than converting it from Linux Kernel code to WDM, if not better.
Programmers: Help us put Vista graphics drivers on Linux! The WDOL Project Homepage

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Nmn

You need to be really brave to bring out the NTFS topic....

NTFS-3G is not usefull for us in a way you`d think it to be. It`s Linux, its not a kernel mode driver (as Z98 pointed out) and considering the time and coding hours necessary to port it for ROS make it quite unattractive. If you`d be at least partially into ROS development, you`d now that our Cache manager isn`t ready yet for implementing NTFS - the dreadfull CC rewrite...

We know how important NTFS is, you dont need to remind us about it. Unless you are able/capable of helping us with it, just drop it...