processor overload

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gedi

processor overload

Post by Gedi »

I downloaded a copy of bochs with the react image built in, ran it and when it got to the install screen, the proc hit 100% usage.

It was so busy, I could hardly move the mouse. I left it for 10 mins or so and then gave up.

Any ideas?
seibertjd

Post by seibertjd »

Bochs is slower than a crippled turtle. If you're on Linux I think you can use QEMU (I can't remember). VMWare is pretty good, but ROS is still pretty slow on it.
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

but this was so slow it was totally unusable.
Surely is shouldn't be like that,
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

Ran QEMU and all is now fine :)
seibertjd

Post by seibertjd »

I've never had Bochs run fast enough to do anything for me. Like I said, it's bloody slow...
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

Which is the quickest?
Would I be better running vmware?
GvG

Post by GvG »

Gedi wrote:Which is the quickest?
Would I be better running vmware?
VMware is faster than QEmu, but the difference between VMware and QEmu is not as big as the difference between QEmu and Bochs
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

VMware is also graphical and easy to setup and run, but it's commercial soft and expensive.

Also, be sure you change the memory setting before you try to start a VMachine or it will crash you up! Also SETI doesn't like it or vice versa.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
ConMan

Post by ConMan »

Ya, I tried Boch and it wouldn't even install ReactOS, but QEMU would install and it worked. QEMU runs it pretty slow, so I tried VMware and it does a good job, but isn't free. Stay away from VirtualPC by Microsoft. If you are serious about running other operating systems under windows, I think VMware is like $70 which isn't just too bad.
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

I got vmware and it's much better.
Cheers.