Public suggestions system ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

The_Pope

Public suggestions system ?

Post by The_Pope »

I wanted to suggest a "suggestion database" that may guide developers to create ROS the way people would want Windows to be. The user would suggest either a ROS component (a utility program, for instance) or a feature, either an application related to ROS (of course, with more specific details pointed out via the database - system-wide suggestion, ROS Explorer suggestion, etc.). Anyone should be able to suggest things, regardless if they have an account or not. Naturally, empty, incomplete, etc. entries should be erased.
Then, anyone having an account is allowed one vote, to let them say if they agree or not. There should also be a separate system of public voting (letting those without an account vote). Comparing the results of public votes versus user votes, decisions should be easier to take.
I'm saying this because I have been bugging Aleksey a lot, instead of just submitting my ideas somewhere nice and organized. Until then, this forum will do :)
forart

Post by forart »

I think they can just activate the "Tracker" in the SF.net project page
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

Hi,

On this post this was what I asked. It is not to say that I was the first one :lol: but to have only one post with all the suggestions to keep our devs from read too many posts....

I should also ad this great suggestion of "The_Pope"

Regards,
The_Pope

Post by The_Pope »

Hi Lolo,

I already filed a bug into Bugzilla with the other suggestion (the processors as devices just like in Windows XP). Look at it here.

By the way, the developers say that suggestions should be put into bugzilla so that they can look at them later. Also, they appear to say "we will only get mad at this practice depending on the actual suggestion" :)
Stop the world...I want to descend.
eXile

Post by eXile »

Hi,
The_Pope wrote:I already filed a bug into Bugzilla with the other suggestion (the processors as devices just like in Windows XP). Look at it here.
And what about HyperThreading? Would a quad processor system with quad cores each and HyperThreading have 32 processors listed? :?

Cheers,
eXile.
The_Pope

Post by The_Pope »

I think it would be reported as having 32 processors as a result of the other rules. But by the way, ARE there any processors with multiple cores and hyperthreading ? Like dual-core with hyperthreading = Windows reporting 4 processors ? As far as I know, there are none. And I've been looking through Intel processors.

I read one "Intel VS AMD" battle test on some site, and they said in one particular case Intel won by a very short margin, *but if you turned off HT AMD won*. I remember quite clearly that it was about the first dual core generation of processors from both manufacturers. So the Pentium D has HT and is reported as 4 processors in Windows ?

Edit: Yep, there are some processors who have both dual core and HT.

to find the complete list, go to processorfinder.intel.com and choose "Intel® Xeon® Processor" or "Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition" then select the HyperThreading and Dual Core filters.

These, as far as I know, are the only ones who have multi-core (dual core, actually) and HT. Please search that Intel site, everyone, and provide all the links to multi-core processors with HT, if there are any others beside those. Then I'll update the bug with these links telling the devs that ROS device manager should report "number of cores" multiplied by two if the processor is a multi-core with HT.

The bug is not really going to get fixed anytime soon, because that's nice but cosmetic, and ROS has more important (functional) things to be worked on right now. So we probably have more than enough time to think this over :)
Stop the world...I want to descend.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Hyperthread double the listed processors always. But it does not add that much performance unless the processor has a flaw in design.

Processors have to appear as devices in time. Reason hotplug processor motherboards.

Even inside linux they appear different due to that reason. Ros has not really got into multi processor support it still has too many other problems.

This is our main suggestion database. Good ones normally end up in bugzilla.
psyco001

Post by psyco001 »

hmm iknow that intel has a working version of octocore processors and a motherboard that can hold 8 of these octocore's. that are 64 core's on one board
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

What I would love to see would be some kind of mechanism to let users/visitors (with an account) vote on something, so to see which feature suggestion would be popular. This way the developers can think more on the most popular features, and whether they would want to work on that - a bit like how Vim development worked but i dont recall whether vim was using bug-only vote or feature-suggestions vote... ;)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Except people will continue to insist on the same features that we keep saying we won't work on because they're not in the scope of this project or because ROS isn't ready for it.