can virus attack reactOS like windows?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

adwindy

can virus attack reactOS like windows?

Post by adwindy »

can virus attack reactOS like windows?actually reactOS can compatibility with all most all applications in windows,so virus can active in reactOS. Am I right?

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

if the virus attacks a flaw in an application which runs on windows, and that application is running on reactos, then yes.

if the virus attacks a design flaw in a component, and that design flaw has been followed in reactos, then yes.

if the virus attacks an exploit in the operating system, then it's unlikely that same exploit is available in reactos, so no.

Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

I fear yes. But at this way, you can install Windows Anti Virus software too.
I think (or hope), ReactOS is immune for trojans and adaware.
In ReactOS we can react faster than Microsoft, because everyone can compile its own ROS version
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor

adwindy

Post by adwindy »

oh,yes,thank you.so virus in windows can't distroy reactos,so good!

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

FYI- i havnt found a antivirus program that will install/run in reactos yet, i have tried clam,avast antivirus,avast virus cleaner tool,panda,avg,nod32,bit defender free 10,nod32 portable, antvir portable.
Last edited by betaluva on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

adwindy

Post by adwindy »

betaluva wrote:FYI- i havnt found a antivirus program that will install/run in reactos yet, i have tried clam,avast antivirus,avast virus cleaner tool,panda,avg and nod32.
i can't quite follow your meaning,which antivirus can work in reactos ?

all of them or just FYI? is FYI an antivirus program?

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

NONE work with reactos, FYI means For Your Information.

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Cool idea: Optional kernel virus scanner. Perhaps ClamAV could eventually become the core of it (when it works anyways)

Anyways...

ReactOS will eventually run a lot of spyware and viruses. Security and a well designed user management system should keep most out. Note that viruses which depend on flaws will often fail on ReactOS when its unrelated to the design, and related to the code. ReactOS might end up with viruses targeted for it when exploits are found. (For example, an exploit in libpng may be able to be used to gain administrative control.)

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

ClamAV has just been sold so i would say it will become closed source and payware only.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

clamav is going no where Betaluva.

Sourcefire and Clamav were duplicating work. Please note Sourcefire is the makers of snort another GPL program.

So becoming closed source is highly unlikely. Comerical addon signature list would not be above Sourefire. But application core will not change.

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

thats good news :)

bobby

Post by bobby »

Hi there,

Most of the anti-virus programs (except of the mentioned ClamAV) are installing drivers in order to hook some of the API messages.
So, if ReactOS still do not have Windows-compatible driver installing/loading procedure, you will not be able to run anti-virus programs on ReactOS.
There are also components installed as services.

As soon as the ReactOS team want to test ReactOS against malware, I (and my team) can do the testing.
We have more than 180.000 malware samples at the moment, where at least 50.000 are usable for testing.

regards
Boban Spasic aka bobby

www.mc-antivirus-test.com
http://malzilla.sourceforge.net/

Angelus

Post by Angelus »

bobby wrote:As soon as the ReactOS team want to test ReactOS against malware, I (and my team) can do the testing.
We have more than 180.000 malware samples at the moment, where at least 50.000 are usable for testing.
Great! :D

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

First off, React OS does have services. Second off, I could've sworn running a program that used hooking. Could be wrong. Anyways, I don't know how hard implementing hooking or injections could be, but they should be high priority.

Jawmht

Post by Jawmht »

Nmn wrote:First off, React OS does have services. Second off, I could've sworn running a program that used hooking. Could be wrong. Anyways, I don't know how hard implementing hooking or injections could be, but they should be high priority.
You can hook from usermode, relativly easy too. http://flatassembler.net/examples/detour_example.zip 3Kb example.