ReactOS and the .NET framework

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Whatever, I tested WGA on wine for the hell of it (I actually didn't want the file, so i didn't download it) and it worked.(The key generator produced a code that could be used to download WGA files) Same applies to certain compatibility modes. To be honest, Microsoft really needs to fix WGA in order for it to be some sort of threat.

fennec

Post by fennec »

WGA does very well what is it designed for ... discouraging the average user. I know several peoples that tried WinXP and finally bought it to get rid of WGA notifications and not having to patch.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

When Nmn most modern forms of WGA check for wine only registry keys and fail.

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Hmm? I hadn't had that problem recently. I'll test again.

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

WGA does very well what is it designed for ... discouraging the average user. I know several peoples that tried WinXP and finally bought it to get rid of WGA notifications and not having to patch.
Yeah but over time, this slowly will become less of an issue the more
a) Information is available (Easy access on the www)
b) people get smarter (that happens!)
c) alternatives get better (linux as a whole is quite fine, and Reactos is shaping up too nicely as well)

Btw I think if possible, dotgnu would be nicer than Mono IF both are on a ~similar usage level (I like the first more than mono, but thats just my personal opinion)

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Z98 wrote:Genuine Windows Validation. The installation checks whether it's running on a real Windows system. You see it when you install IE7 on XP and when you try to download certain things off of Microsoft's website. Circumventing it would violate the EULA.
Download it through an legal Windows installation. .net 1.1/2.0 don't check for WGA when installing, 3.0 might, but I don't know.
It would be perfectly legal.
-graey-

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

geertvdijk just because it does not check WGA don't make it legal.

The EULA of .net from Microsoft particularly forbids it in some countries. Now you can only get around this if your countries laws allow it.

Common mistake just because you can install it does not make it legal.

Note I only took the simplest from out of the EULA agreement. There are other clauses that attempt to lock what it can be installed on. Your country need fair use clauses in law. Some countries have clauses that don't give a stuff either. It all depends on where you are sitting on the globe what the legal point of view is inside that EULA.

It is just better if people don't need to depend in MS .Net or other MS nasty licensed bits.

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Too true. Microsoft could destroy computing as we know it today, so, I'd rather not depend on them for .NET apps when I'm using an alternative.
Programmers: Help us put Vista graphics drivers on Linux! The WDOL Project Homepage