Live-CDs working again + Downloading ReactOS Builds easily

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Colin Finck
Developer

Live-CDs working again + Downloading ReactOS Builds easily

Post by Colin Finck »

Hello,

If you want to try out the ReactOS Trunk tree (containing the latest developments), there are two important news:

Firstly, the Live-CDs built by our BuildBot are finally bootable.
Due to long-standing building problems on Linux/Unix hosts, they just showed various error messages in the past.

Secondly, we uploaded an easy interface for downloading these Builds some days ago.
You can find it at the menu item Trunk Builds in the Quick Links section of our Website.
By default, it shows you the Builds of the latest revision. If there are no Builds yet, use the arrow buttons and click on Show to show the created Builds of an older revision.
You can also enter revision ranges or define, which type of Builds you want to be shown.

Currently the interface is translated to English, German, Italian and Spanish. If you want to translate it to another language, simply translate the language file here, file a new bug in our Bugzilla and attach the translated file to it.

If you have any questions or suggestions concerning this, just ask them here.

Best regards,

Colin
Bond007s

One Thing I found

Post by Bond007s »

I went to take a look at the site. The current revision appeared to be 28428. It showed it was a bit over 3 mb. I thought that strange. I went back a revision and looked the previous. It showed the normal 19ish mb. So I went forward again to look at the current revision and it showed 4.xx mb. I kept refreshing and clicking show on the current revision and it kept increasing in size. I am guessing the current version was not done compressing. Could be wrong.

Personally I build my own revisions every so often, but have used these revisions by the build bot before. I did look at it before when you were testing it out and someone posted something of it I believe on the ROS-Dev mailing list.

Anyways, if nothing else. Might be nice to program it to a different folder while being compressed and then copied over to that folder when compressed. Just a thought. I to am a web designer, but have not really looked into how you all designed that page. Anyways. Food for thought...

Thanks,
ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

Too amazing to be true.
Couldn't open Codepage bug is gone but I get black screen without any information again. :?

edit: Where can I find souces of any revision. I could compile it for myself. Maybe it would work then.
Colin Finck
Developer

Post by Colin Finck »

@Bond007s
At the time, when you looked at the page, the Buildslave was still uploading the file. This is why the size constantly increased.
Of course, we could first upload the file to a temporary directory and then move it to the "iso" directory, but I'm not sure if this is really necessary.
If you click on the link View details at the BuildBot Web Interface, you can see what both Buildslaves are doing at the moment.

@ROSFan
Currently, it is normal that a black screen is shown when you try to boot the Live-CD. But anyway, it should boot into the GUI after some seconds (at least under QEMU and VMware).
If you try it on other hardware and it really doesn't boot, you can probably get more information about the boot problem by getting debug information through a serial null-modem cable.

Best regards,

Colin
ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

I have only one pc and no null modem cable. Even if I'd buy one I don't know if it is possible (I need 2 Computers?) and I never done it. Therefore I need a short Howto.

I tested it on real hardware. My PC has one extended partition. 0.3.0 is the last version which booted from live CD on real hardware. I'll try to wait longer, but I aleready waited 1 minute on my 3 Ghz PC. CD stops to work and the only way to shutdown is to reset. Keyboard hangs and my screen is black but resolution seems to be set (screen is not off or standby and doesnt print any error(it can print a message on bad resolution, bad frequency, no signal and so on)).
Colin Finck
Developer

Post by Colin Finck »

OK, 1 minute is really too much.

For testing ReactOS, I'd recommend using a virtualization software like QEMU or VMware. Then you don't need to burn the ISO, you can test it without rebooting, you can easily get debug information, ....

Of course, we also need to test it on real hardware, but if it doesn't work and you cannot get debug information, it's worthless.
For getting debug information, you need a serial null-modem cable like this one and a second computer, who receives the debug information. The second computer can be any computer with a serial port and a Terminal application, so also an old 386-PC should do the job.

Best regards,

Colin
Trivalik

Post by Trivalik »

But for Debugging on serial null-modem:
- comes there text
- or only a Error Number?
- exists a Programm to get it, when not i could write one in c#, to debug on windows, but how is it encode?
Colin Finck
Developer

Post by Colin Finck »

@Trivalik
Yes, the system outputs text messages, when you debug through a serial null-modem cable.
You can try that out by running ReactOS in a virtual machine and redirecting the serial port to a text file. QEMU also supports redirecting the output to the console (simply add the parameter "-serial file:CON").
Don't forget to select "ReactOS (Debug)" at the boot menu instead of "ReactOS". Otherwise debug messages won't be printed.

In the ReactOS Code you can add debug outputs with DPRINT and DPRINT1 statements. DPRINT's will only be printed if NDEBUG is not defined. This is why some modules have many DPRINT's in the code, but NDEBUG is defined as this debug output is only interesting if there's a particular problem in that code.
To undefine an NDEBUG, simply replace the "#define NDEBUG" line by "#undef NDEBUG".

To receive the debug information, you can use any terminal application. Windows has HyperTerminal for that purpose, I prefer PuTTY as it can also be used for other cases, but this is up to you.

Best regards,

Colin
ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

Then i have to edit the Live CD?
It happens before the debug option can be chosen.
Colin Finck
Developer

Post by Colin Finck »

ROSFan wrote:Then i have to edit the Live CD?
If you download a Debug Live-CD ("livecd-xxxxx-dbg.7z"), it has debugging turned on by default. So you don't need to edit it.
You only need to select "ReactOS (Debug)" in the boot menu if you installed ReactOS from a Debug Boot-CD.

Best regards,

Colin