BUG FIX ;-) (2007-10-1) ROSi 0.9.1-The ReactOS Installer

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vorg

Post by Vorg »

All this talk about package managers, with regards 3d party programs, yes, the 3rd parties are the ones to see about updates. A built in package manager for Ros only for getting fixes and updates would be good though. Between people in general being lazy and/or not having a lot of free time to spend on updating their systems, something simple is needed. It would have the config option to go with generic or optimized.

If the user set optimized, clicking the update button download pecompiled modules that are compiled to run on most cpu's. Some files may or may not have built in checks to take advantage of special functions in certain cpu's, but at the cost of a larger file.

If the user selected optimized, it would download the source for the updated files and compile then optimized for their system. This would make the code smaller and faster, at the cost needing to do a full recompile if, say your motherboard went bad and you decided to switch from intel to AMD for the replacement. Windows doesn't take too well to board changes anyway, so being able to do it with a recompile is still a plus.

Selecting optimized would bring up another option, keep the source so you can recompile without downloading, or delete when done. Keeping it would give you a path option which you could use to point to a USB memory stick.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I would prefer at first if Reactos is not used on it untill it can be included in the main line(if coding in basic that is extreamly questionable). We have downloader what is a installation program.

Vorg source building is the theory of Gentoo Linux. If someone wants to make a form of Reactos like that they can. I have major grounds against it. If you had worked in support with wine in the winehq channel you would really know why.

Each Gentoo user normally end up with different compliers building the application. Also different processor options introduce different bugs in compliers. Yes its enough to make support people like me feel major pain at the mention of Gentoo. Gentoo is worse because it even allows users to tweak there own options. Its better to do a normal linux distros. Provide different binaries for different processors. Since it gives support people something constant to work with.

Its the reason why Gentoo is only for advanced users. Because in some cases doing support for Gentoo is almost baned due to how many cases it traces back to a bad complier or bad options set on their end.

We really don't need to do that to Reactos. There are a lot of lessons in the Linux world. Most ideas are not new it pays to check out where someone has done the same thing an the pain it has caused.

Note anything letting users build from source with tweaking should have a different name so support personal know the nightmare they are getting into. I don't think Tweakers OS is taken yet.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

ROSi is better than the current Download !. What I would like to see, however, is the removal of 602PCsuite and replace it with OpenOffice.org. 602 is commercial, OOo isn't. And fix the bug about the installed icon not showing up after clicking Install.
michael79

Post by michael79 »

artguy10 wrote:ROSi is better than the current Download !. What I would like to see, however, is the removal of 602PCsuite and replace it with OpenOffice.org. 602 is commercial, OOo isn't. And fix the bug about the installed icon not showing up after clicking Install.
Just removed 602PCsuite. You can propose OpenOffice on ROSi's Website.
Always remind to provide description, exact file size and screenshot
(max 20ko)

Thanks
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

I already proposed OOo on your website some time ago (a couple weeks maybe?). If that didn't go through or something, it would only take a couple minutes for you to gather all the information again.
forart

Post by forart »

[feature request: collaboration with other Win package managers to define a standard]

1. WPM
2. win-get
3. TGUP
4. JackGet
5. Update All, of course.
6. wxWidgets Package Manager
7. force-get

Last but not least, note that WinLibre submitted the idea to SoC 2007...

EDIT: I also suggested to DriverPacks.net team to develop a (or, well... to hack an existing) "driver manager"...
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
michael79

Post by michael79 »

forart wrote:[feature request: collaboration with other Win package managers to define a standard]

1. WPM
2. win-get
3. TGUP
4. JackGet
5. Update All, of course.
6. wxWidgets Package Manager
7. force-get

Last but not least, note that WinLibre submitted the idea to SoC 2007...

EDIT: I also suggested to DriverPacks.net team to develop a (or, well... to hack an existing) "driver manager"...
This is a really good idea! I will take a look at those package managers
and update ROSi to support them.
forart

Post by forart »

Dunno if can help, but i found ONC/RPC for Windows:
A windows port of ONC/RPC library. The ONC/RPC is an implementation of a remote procedure call protocol for distributing applications over one or more computers. ONC/RPC was originally developed by SUN. This port was originally part of the TACO project.
:P
»Forward Agency NPO
forart

Post by forart »

forart wrote:I also suggested to DriverPacks.net team to develop a (or, well... to hack an existing) "driver manager"...
So, a different question: does ROSi can manage drivers too ???

Seems that peoples would apreciate this kind of tool... :roll:
(keep in touch with Bâshrat the Sneaky, the DP lead)

EDIT: I just submitted DP into Packages section and i think that something is missed in the form:
1. Official website
2. Author contact (email)
3. New category proposal

Then it would be great to have a "DriverGuide-like Rating Panel" integrated... 8)

It would also be great to have a cool-looking website such Autopackage has. :oops:

Last but not least some other nice findings:

- GetIt (for Windows)
- AppSnap
- WPKG
:?

...more to come... :shock:
»Forward Agency NPO
InFeRnODeMoN

Post by InFeRnODeMoN »

I don't know why, but ROSi reminds me a lot of Steam (of course, they are distributing different stuff)
Ah, it's just me.
jimtabor
Developer

Re: HIPPO UPDATE ;-) (2007-09-24) ROSi 0.9-The ReactOS Insta

Post by jimtabor »

Hi!

Does it come with source code?
Thanks,
James
michael79

Post by michael79 »

InFeRnODeMoN wrote:I don't know why, but ROSi reminds me a lot of Steam (of course, they are distributing different stuff)
Ah, it's just me.
Hi, What's their website? Thanks. Michael
michael79

Re: HIPPO UPDATE ;-) (2007-09-24) ROSi 0.9-The ReactOS Insta

Post by michael79 »

jimtabor wrote:Hi!

Does it come with source code?
Thanks,
James
No. Not yet. I'm working on a C version. The source code will
be made available with this version (should be 2.0).
michael79

Post by michael79 »

forart wrote:
forart wrote:I also suggested to DriverPacks.net team to develop a (or, well... to hack an existing) "driver manager"...
So, a different question: does ROSi can manage drivers too ???

Seems that peoples would apreciate this kind of tool... :roll:
(keep in touch with Bâshrat the Sneaky, the DP lead)

EDIT: I just submitted DP into Packages section and i think that something is missed in the form:
1. Official website
2. Author contact (email)
3. New category proposal

Then it would be great to have a "DriverGuide-like Rating Panel" integrated... 8)

It would also be great to have a cool-looking website such Autopackage has. :oops:

Last but not least some other nice findings:

- GetIt (for Windows)
- AppSnap
- WPKG
:?

...more to come... :shock:
ROSi does not support drivers. The driver must come with an installer.
NSIS produces very small installer, driver developers can use it.

Other informations can be added to the description (supports RTF).

DP has not been approved yet, I need to test it on ReactOS.

Next version will support other repositories formats.
InFeRnODeMoN

Post by InFeRnODeMoN »

michael79 wrote:
InFeRnODeMoN wrote:I don't know why, but ROSi reminds me a lot of Steam (of course, they are distributing different stuff)
Ah, it's just me.
Hi, What's their website? Thanks. Michael
http://www.steampowered.com/
Also check Wikipedia.