Page 1 of 2

Will ReactOS be a multi user OS?

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:56 pm
by rowa
One of the big disadvantages of Windows is that it is not a multi user OS. You can't login several times at one time. For example you can't login as a normal user for surfing in the internet and as a superuser (administrator) for installing software.

Will ReactOS be a multi user OS?

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:04 pm
by Pentiumforever
you can under windows XP logged in as User and as administrator at the same time (fast user switching)

ReactOS a multiuser OS?

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:21 pm
by Jaix
Yes most definately, the question is when...

Hmm..

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:30 pm
by Linuxhippy
The NT kernel was made Multi-User-able by an external company for MS, so it seems they were not able to do this task themself (somwhere in 1992).

So the kernel is multi-user-able, but MS limits the ways you can use it so that you have to buy more expensive versions of windows, like the terminal-server.

lg Clemens

Re: Will ReactOS be a multi user OS?

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:57 am
by MadRat
rowa wrote:One of the big disadvantages of Windows is that it is not a multi user OS. You can't login several times at one time. For example you can't login as a normal user for surfing in the internet and as a superuser (administrator) for installing software.
The premise of the question is unsound, because you can login with multiple accounts simultaneously using the suss service and its su command. The extra logins cannot simultaneously use EXPLORER.EXE but they can all use multple IEXPLORE.EXE windows. Try it, from IEXPLORE you can do most anything in XP. Generally, from an SU session you can run programs that do not use the MSI installer.

Its XP's 10 connection limit (that can be boosted to 40 if running a MS SQL server) that prevents a workstation from acting as a bonafide server. The TCP/IP stack sucks in the workstation and home flavours of 2k/XP.

Re: Will ReactOS be a multi user OS?

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:36 pm
by rowa
I know that the multi user capabilities of all Windows versions are terrible bad. But how is this with ReactOS?

Have a normal user to logout and after that to login as an Administrator for installing software?

Or will it be convenient like in Unix/Linux?

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:06 am
by Pentiumforever
hmm when i want to install new software under linux (debian sarge) i must change to root, too.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:59 pm
by rowa
pentiumforever wrote:hmm when i want to install new software under linux (debian sarge) i must change to root, too.
Yes and this is OK. But you can do this without limitations and you can work in your normal account at the same time. This is what I mean. For example: You are surfing in the internet and your are realizing that you need new software packets. You can use the su command in a new console, type in your password and you can install the software.

I see very often that Windows-user work with the Administrator-account or give the own account Administrator-rights. Maybe this is convenient to install software. But it is convenient for virues and trojans too. They can easily inherit the Administrator-rights and can infect the whole system.

I think it is important to prevent that user work durably with Adminstrator-rights. For installation and system configuration they have to type in the Adminstrator-passwort and then they can install software or do the configuration. If this easy then durable Adminstrator-rights are not necessary.

Will ReactOS support this?

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:24 pm
by Pentiumforever
you can install software as administrator under windows at the same time you work with normal rights!

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:40 pm
by Dr. Fred
The problem is that noone does it because they don't know about it, or they are to lazy (like me).

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:10 pm
by Pentiumforever
when the user dont know it it is not a mistake on the sever but in the documetation!

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:31 am
by rowa
pentiumforever wrote:when the user dont know it it is not a mistake on the sever but in the documetation!
Maybe we can improve the usability and documentation to avoid this problem.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:33 am
by rowa
Dr. Fred wrote:The problem is that noone does it because they don't know about it, or they are to lazy (like me).
I think Microsoft make it easy for lazy people ;-)
But I think it is not good. It could be good if ReactOS avoide this.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:34 am
by Pentiumforever
rowa wrote:
pentiumforever wrote:when the user dont know it it is not a mistake on the sever but in the documetation!
Maybe we can improve the usability and documentation to avoid this problem.
normmaly documentation is not one of the good things of open source software :wink:

Re: Will ReactOS be a multi user OS?

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:02 am
by rowa
MadRat wrote:Its XP's 10 connection limit (that can be boosted to 40 if running a MS SQL server) that prevents a workstation from acting as a bonafide server. The TCP/IP stack sucks in the workstation and home flavours of 2k/XP.
I hope that ReactOS will be not 100% compatible to such MS-rubbish.
Why limits?
Why on earth you have to install a SQL-Server for improve this stupid limit?