WINE and ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sasaf

WINE and ReactOS

Post by sasaf »

I think that the ReactOS team is amazing. I don't know if you are working with the WINE team. Why not exert your talent toward the WINE project. The WINE project is amazing and so is the ReactOS project. If the two projects work together to make WINE 100 percent compatible with Windows Applications and Device Drivers, then Linux will win many converts. I really don't see the point in reinventing the wheel when Linux is such a great OS and getting easier to use everyday. But I do understand your reasons for creating ReactOS and I respect them. I hope that the developers of ReactOS will also join the WINE project and help the WINE project in accomplishing its goals. Maybe the WINE project developers will join the REACT OS team and help REACT OS accomplish its goals. Since the two projects have similar goals, the two should work together.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The relationship between ROS and WINE is complicated. However, one thing that will likely never happen is a merging of WINE and ROS. WINE's objective is to create a Windows compatibility layer for Unix-like systems. There's very little they could do in the drivers department since they don't do kernel work. Well, I take that back. They could, but the result would likely be somewhat contrived. Our objective is to create an NT operating system from the ground up. Also, bare in mind that once ROS becomes more complete, we'd be in direct competition with Linux. We're not trying to get people to convert to Linux. We are not Linux. We are based off of NT technology, which is a completely different architecture.

Currently, WINE doesn't accept code from most ROS developers. You can thank Birr for that one. After he made his accusation, relations really soured even though Birr's accusations were more or less disproven. Also, WINE is starting to make some architecture changes that would render their work unusable by ReactOS. The split between the projects has already been there for a while. Whether it's possible or even desirable for the two projects to start working together is questionable. As time goes on, it's likely we'll become less and less dependent on WINE and WINE's own changes might render anything we do incompatible with their work.

Reacter

Post by Reacter »

So... is that why when we merge our apps with WINE, we break our own explorer's paths?
More ReactOS, please!

cppm

Post by cppm »

isn't it quite a waste if the 2 projects are both developing the same usermode DLL's and aren't using each other's code?

I thougt that wine and ReactOS were syncing various usermode DLL's?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We still are. But if WINE decides to change how they're doing things, wee can't stop them.