ReactOS, Thankyou!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tytanic Tyler

ReactOS, Thankyou!

Post by Tytanic Tyler »

I have yet to get ReactOS to work on my Microsoft Virtual Machine so I can test it out. I'm getting the logo screen and then it just freezes but that's alright. I can wait until later this month when it will be fixed in the next version.

But I really would like to say thankyou for what you guys have done. I have always wanted to see a Windows clone that is free. I love windows but for real, who wants to pay $300 for a copy of the software.

I love that you guys are free, which is the main reason why I support you so much. If it was a paid it wouldn't change my mind anything about changing from windows to you guys. But it being free makes it even better, I hope it stays a free project and it lives long. I cannot wait to test it out myself. I have seen screenshots and it looks awesome.

I'll be excited to see how much it changes from now until the relase of verison 1.0.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok sorry to have to say this Reactos does not work in Virtual PC.

Vmware or Qemu is required to run it at this stage. Most likely will stay that way for a while yet.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Ms Vpc isnt supported by ROS devs. Better use Vmware or QEMU. VPC "may" work, but doesnt have to.
FSX

Post by FSX »

Why will you need VPC when ROS can replace Windows?
Tytanic Tyler

Post by Tytanic Tyler »

Are any of those free?

Also I'm not going to replace windows with this since I'm using Windows now and it's working fine. Not that ReactOS is bad but it is still getting developed so it wouldn't be smart to ruin my windows by installing ReactOS when it is not stable yet.

Why I was trying to use VPC to see if it would work and how it looked and all.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

VMWare player is free, and you can get a virtual machine for VMWare from the download site. Also, there is a preconfigured ReactOS image that is bundled with QEMU to allow you to quickly test ReactOS. QEMU is totally free. With VMWare player, you can only use prebuilt Virtual Machines. Forgot to say it, but, nice thinking about not ruining the Windows copy.
More ReactOS, please!
Tytanic Tyler

Post by Tytanic Tyler »

Awesome! Thanks!

Will you guys always do this? As that is quite easy to do...
Tytanic Tyler

Post by Tytanic Tyler »

Also which one like saves your data like it would if it was just one OS on a computer?

How do you install programs, I insert the CD into my disk drive and it doesn't show up on the virtual machine.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Both VM machines save your data back to the Virtual Disk. If you have the VMWare, there should be an option in the menu to use System CD-Rom. If you are using a preconfigured QEMU, you should start QEMU like this, after you are in the QEMU directory.: (no quotes)"QEMU -L . -m 64 -hda ReactOS.img -cdrom d: -net user" This assumes the ROS image is ReactOS.img, if you see a .img file that is not ReactOS.img, use that instead.
More ReactOS, please!
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

@Haos: i tried ReactOS 0.3 on MS VirtualPC 2004 and it worked quite good...
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I personally will not touch MS Virtual PC 2004 with a 10 foot pole.

It has a critical flaw. If/When a OS inside it breaks out of the vm and crashes the complete computer. When you restart MS Virtual PC 2004 it automatically restarts all contained os that where running before crash including the one that crashed the computer.

Anyone still running MS Virtual PC 2004 is really taking a risk.
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

i don't say if it's good or not, i just said it works. well, worked some time ago...
Tytanic Tyler

Post by Tytanic Tyler »

How do you install programs, I insert the CD into my disk drive and it doesn't show up on the virtual machine?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Emulators normally use ISO files to emulate CDs in virtual machine. Some of emus do allow using the real CDrom drive, some dont.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Reacter wrote:VMWare player is free, and you can get a virtual machine for VMWare from the download site. Also, there is a preconfigured ReactOS image that is bundled with QEMU to allow you to quickly test ReactOS. QEMU is totally free. With VMWare player, you can only use prebuilt Virtual Machines. Forgot to say it, but, nice thinking about not ruining the Windows copy.
VMware player used to be the only free version but now VMware server is also free, and that will allow you to do what you like regarding making new virtual machines and modifying existing ones hardware.