ReactOS Power Tools

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Is a registry cleaner specifically for ReactOS a good idea?

Yes
60%
No
30%
Dunno
10%

Total votes: 30

IEKnight

ReactOS Power Tools

Post by IEKnight »

One thing that windows has failed on is the registry. It just gets clogged up over time. Sure there are many products out there to clean it, but since ROS is being built up from scratch, surely one could be designed for complete compatability. :wink:
"How the hell did I get a Blue Screen of Death on XP?!"
- Windows & Me
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Disk Cleanup in Windows should have done this a long time ago. I would like a regedt32.exe with a registry backup built in, like, a button that says, "Undo All changes?".
More ReactOS, please!
InFeRnODeMoN

Post by InFeRnODeMoN »

A scheduled automatic defrag like in Vista would be a nice utility.
Oh, and a complete OS backup tool (by complete I mean backup of the partition data) would be very helpful tool.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Better to restore a partition backup than spend another afternoon installing Vista, then restoring.
More ReactOS, please!
IEKnight

Post by IEKnight »

:idea: Sounds like a plan - maybe we should just make an all in one utility (I know they already exist, but one specifically for ROS).
"How the hell did I get a Blue Screen of Death on XP?!"
- Windows & Me
forart

Re: ReactOS Power Tools

Post by forart »

IEKnight wrote:Sure there are many products out there to clean it, but since ROS is being built up from scratch, surely one could be designed for complete compatability. :wink:
Good idea !

I think we could start from here:
1. KRegedit was a KDE utility for viewing native Windows registry files that I wrote based on Richard Sharpe's editreg tool. It is similar to the regedt32 utility that can be found on most Windows platforms. Only the NT registry format (NT4/2000/XP) is supported.
2. regutils a collection of programs that can assist in the installation of windows 9x software on diskless clients. The basic procedure is to take a snap shot of a (diskfull) system before and after a piece of software is installed and then look at what changed. The changes are then modified to suite the diskless environment and applied to the directory tree on the client's server. The programs in regutils can be used to identify, sort, modify and apply the changes.
3. regviewer GTK 2.2 based GUI Windows registry file navigator.
4. Security & Privacy Complete a security tool for Windows.

I also suggest to try involve these sw devs:

- ERUNT/NTREGOPT
- EasyCleaner
- OleClean
...and many more (< very interesting collection of links and articles about registry management)

8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
cppm

Post by cppm »

Sounds like a plan - maybe we should just make an all in one utility (I know they already exist, but one specifically for ROS).
No, as a general rule smaller tools that do one thing well, are better than one humungous tool that sometimes feels like getting a steamroller to straighten out the carpet
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

//Offtopic:
No, as a general rule smaller tools that do one thing well, are better than one humungous tool that sometimes feels like getting a steamroller to straighten out the carpet
Thats why I like bash so much. U can use scripts and make several simple tools to cooperate and do great job together.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

BOT_ev wrote://Offtopic:
Thats why I like bash so much. U can use scripts and make several simple tools to cooperate and do great job together.
Thats ne reason why whenever I look for a tool, I always make sure t can be used from the command line first. I would suggest that any program here are usable from the cli or at least have a cli alternative.