ROS outdated?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevintrooper

ROS outdated?

Post by kevintrooper »

I googled something:

All over the Web, people are sayin that reactos is nothing, just because vista came out!

People also say ros is going to be outdated like 98 is now, when ros is released!

What do u have to say about that? :cry:

try to google it

Can ROS be made to be able to use vista apps?
Last edited by kevintrooper on Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baldomero

Post by Baldomero »

ReactOS is not a product that you stop developing, and then get it out to the shops.

It will, some day, get to a state where some people could start using it for some specific tasks, perfectly. After some time, other people will start using it for other things, when it is ready for them...

At some point nearly everybody will be able to manage a large scope of tasks with it.

EDIT:: Please, don't write in upper case...
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

That's not true at all. Vista can't run on some computers that XP run. Another problem is that vista can't run 16-bit applications as good as XP. Reactos will be ideal for such computers. Some day Reactos will support vista apps as well, but this is for the future. Current stable release is 0.3.1 and till 1.0.0 there is a loooong time and many things can change
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

we can already run some vista apps in reactos
that can only be run in vista
aicommander
Developer

Not outdated

Post by aicommander »

ReactOS aims to be compatible with all NT based versions of Windows. Vista included and all future releases that use the NT kernel. The kernel is pretty stable so microsoft probably won't write another one for a while.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

kevintrooper i put this to you wood you use 2k/xp when ms kills it off and stops fixing there mistakes in the code or use a resource hungry windows vista or windows 2010 os

or help ReactOS team get 90% compatibility by sending in bug reports or help in coding.

i hope ReactOS being a open source the zero day exploits will be fix faster than escargot microsoft
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

1. Win98 isnt dead. There are still many people using it, also converting new patches to be used in Win9x. There is a range of apps that runs only in Win9x.

2. Publishing Vista did not make ROS outdated, as it did not make XP/2k/2k3 outdated as well. Those OSes still are no.1 on rigs under 1,5gb mem and cpu`s around 2ghz. XP/2003 are very mature and stable. Even Windows 2000 has multiple uses right now.

3. ROS will not stop at current compatibiltiy level. When time comes, we will move forward and incorporate good ideas from Vista and drop the bad ones. DirectX10 is one example:)

If we`ll be able to make ReactX compatible with Dx10 and Ms wont release it on XP, we could score a great deal of hits/publicitym and attract a lot of attention to our project.

Finally, dont always believe what people say, think for yourself.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

off topic one of the main problems of using 9x memory handling or lack of memory handling and command and conquer the first decade not installing because it said i do not have admin rites
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Sorry for bringing it up again, haven't been on for a while. KevinTrooper: Win31 ain't dead yet. Win95 ain't dead yet. XP ain't dead yet. They are only "dead" if no one uses them or thier apps. People do. Vista will be supported, so will old stuff. Relax. I like one guys comment I found. "For What? An embedded solitaire device?". Just read along and laugh. Know they will be wrong.
More ReactOS, please!
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

Reacter wrote:Sorry for bringing it up again, haven't been on for a while. KevinTrooper: Win31 ain't dead yet. Win95 ain't dead yet. XP ain't dead yet. They are only "dead" if no one uses them or thier apps. People do. Vista will be supported, so will old stuff. Relax. I like one guys comment I found. "For What? An embedded solitaire device?". Just read along and laugh. Know they will be wrong.

thanx. lol
FSX

Post by FSX »

Heck, CP/M isn't dead yet. :wink:
rosuser1

Post by rosuser1 »

I am quite uneasy about the application, requiring net frameworks 1 and 2. Could they be run under ROS?

BTW, I googled, too:
DSP WIN VISTA HOME BASIC 118,00eu
MS Win XP Home Edition, OEM 120,00eu

This prices do not sound to me like "Microsoft thinks, that XP is obsolete".
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

rosuser1 wrote:I am quite uneasy about the application, requiring net frameworks 1 and 2. Could they be run under ROS?

BTW, I googled, too:
DSP WIN VISTA HOME BASIC 118,00eu
MS Win XP Home Edition, OEM 120,00eu

This prices do not sound to me like "Microsoft thinks, that XP is obsolete".

duh, home basic is a downgraded ver of xp with a new view/chicken (yes, thats wat vista means)
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Based on my observations, I thought Vista meant "Explosives". Home is just the good stuff with some essential tech tools out. XP's price will still be up for a while.
More ReactOS, please!
Blazkowicz

Post by Blazkowicz »

FSX wrote:Heck, CP/M isn't dead yet. :wink:
even Unix isn't :)