reactOS Webbrowser!?!?!?!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Reacter

Post by Reacter »

I would like to learn how to get to the moon with a gallon of gas. KevinTrooper: To get started: Get Firefox 2 source, learn C. Begin.
More ReactOS, please!

kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

Reacter wrote:I would like to learn how to get to the moon with a gallon of gas. KevinTrooper: To get started: Get Firefox 2 source, learn C. Begin.

2years later

kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

well we can just preinstall a browser like firefox and if u dont like it deinstall it after u instal ure own!

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

WhiteFlash

Post by WhiteFlash »

There's no reason to be like the other guys and install everything that you might not want. I think the Downloader app should be able to get whatever you need if it isn't already included. I, personally, hate buying a new computer and having to spend a day or two trying to remove all the crap that came pre-installed, and then still having remnants of those programs all over my computer.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

kevintrooper wrote:well we can just preinstall a browser like firefox and if u dont like it deinstall it after u instal ure own!
No. We will install Opera, because I say so, and if you dont like it - uninstall it and install other one. Do you now see how silly you look with such "command"? Also, what does "we" mean in your statement?

Stats you`ve presented show that IE6 is the most popular browser, so why do you use it as an argument for Firefox?

kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

because,... isnt that illegal to include? and i need a browser included with it so i can st up the router! and no i cant just use the outlet without it first!

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Then make a distro, with browser preloaded, any, of your choice. There will be no FF bundled in ROS, for several reasons, that you`ve been told before, quite a few times.

Reacter

Post by Reacter »

To get firefox: Start->Programs->Get FireFox. Wait till it downloads. While it is expanding, hope it doesn't crash ROS. Besides, if I can't even RUN FurryFox in ROS, how does including it help?
More ReactOS, please!

kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

because i didnt need to know where the f****** download link is! i cant get on the internet to download that before i get everything set up! and i need a browser to do so!

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I never heard of router that had to be set up through www interface BEFORE being able to connect to the internet. I suggest then not buying a crappy equipment...

You can ALWAYS connect your PC directly to the net (bypassing the router) and downloading the browser to your PC. You can have the browser installer on a CD or USB pendrive, OR simply on your hdd. There are multiple solutions to your situation, that DOES NOT require bundling ROS with webbrowser.

Stop whining and start thinking...

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Haos wrote:I never heard of router that had to be set up through www interface BEFORE being able to connect to the internet. I suggest then not buying a crappy equipment...

You can ALWAYS connect your PC directly to the net (bypassing the router) and downloading the browser to your PC. You can have the browser installer on a CD or USB pendrive, OR simply on your hdd. There are multiple solutions to your situation, that DOES NOT require bundling ROS with webbrowser.

Stop whining and start thinking...
I think your missing the whole point windows is so successful. You can do what you want without having to mess around with another CD, or a external drive, or what ever else you want (if it was most linux distribution your looking at using the console to set up your system best, which is very unfriendly).

First most routers have to be set up through the html based http connection (www? now that's just plain wrong). And the higher class ones can only be set up that way (without having to get into a terminal, which is another program). If your doing it the other way, which is a pass through, your on a connection that is not the majority. This require other applications, the support of the equipment (and most will come with it turned off for security reasons and to turn it on you have to go into the http/html connection). Either way, ReactOS will must have an IE replacement control for all the application that require it (currently the Mozilla ActiveX control on Gekko is best, but that could be included with a different license). So the explorer should be able to load that control.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Again, you are creating problems that do not exist.

First, you DONT NEED web browser for a basic network/internet connectivity. For example, my wireless Linksys WRT54GL has One Button Setup function, that enables you to connect any PC without any messing with the settings. You need to set up the protection/password sooner or later, but you can do it AFTER you connect and download the browser.

Second. is it so difficult to have 2mb up to 40 mb file (installer size depends on a browser)? Is it that difficult to move it around wherever you need it?

Each application, bundled to ROS, increases code size, compilation time and possibility for errors. Testing can be tough right now. I need from 30 to 55 minutes myself, to fully build ROS. When regression testing, i often need to build 20-30 different revisions, all from scratch. Do some math please and think how will it influnece everyone`s work. Think server bandwidth, download time, building time... At least ONCE think of something beyond your own POV.

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Haos wrote:Again, you are creating problems that do not exist.

First, you DONT NEED web browser for a basic network/internet connectivity. For example, my wireless Linksys WRT54GL has One Button Setup function, that enables you to connect any PC without any messing with the settings. You need to set up the protection/password sooner or later, but you can do it AFTER you connect and download the browser.

Second. is it so difficult to have 2mb up to 40 mb file (installer size depends on a browser)? Is it that difficult to move it around wherever you need it?

Each application, bundled to ROS, increases code size, compilation time and possibility for errors. Testing can be tough right now. I need from 30 to 55 minutes myself, to fully build ROS. When regression testing, i often need to build 20-30 different revisions, all from scratch. Do some math please and think how will it influnece everyone`s work. Think server bandwidth, download time, building time... At least ONCE think of something beyond your own POV.
I think your missing a lot of points. I have set up tonnes of different brands (did some testing) and I can tell you, only on some network setups do those computer based install systems work. There are many that don't, and you need to go into the extra settings (and many networks around the world require these other settings). Also many business models will not do these setups. Your talking about one client model modem, which setups ok for a set of networks. There is a whole lot more of the world than that!

For your second part, people then have to source it. Have it as a second stage install options on a CD release (remember, many parts of the world charge per download mb, so having to download core software once compared to 10 or a 100 times makes a massive difference for businesses or larger environments, plus the time saving).

If your serious about your looking outside your pov part, you would already know that there is a large application bases that needs and IE control just to work... You can not sit in a hole about that!

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

what about time that you need to bypass the router (think that router can be elsewhere, like in mine case), download firefox and then connect to router's www admin page.
instead of playing with reactos i would just use some linux livecd and do it faster. or search in my room for soft cd with installator of some browser, having hope that it will run on reactos.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Phalanx

All major brands, i`ve seen till now (there was quite a number of them, with Linksys router i`m currently using, as an example), have a basic connectivity features without the need of setting up. This is true for both wifi/cable boxes. If someone do have a business model or a network that would force him to configure router, he would, in general, have a know-how to do it. This know how could be as simple as downloading a browser on other PC and burning it on a cd or writing on usb storage device. There are some more difficult methodes, like using telnet client instead of browser.
If your serious about your looking outside your pov part, you would already know that there is a large application bases that needs and IE control just to work... You can not sit in a hole about that!
So you will be able to download and install IE or anything you want. You just do not need it bundled with ROS anyway.

Or present a single argument on bundling any browser with ROS.