A New Direction

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

woutervh

Post by woutervh » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:02 am

Alex_Ionescu wrote:I don't know about that. When a soldier dies, I think the US Army considers it to be a tragedy, even though the mission depends on the entire platoon. And when a soldier deserts, there's usually a great emphasis on finding and shooting/arresting him, even though he may have deserted from an entire batallion.

I don't think downplaying my departure is something you really want to do at this point, but that's up to you :)

Just my 2 cents.
True, but if you state it on the opposite way:

If the Americans kill one leader of Al Quaida, two others are there to replace him.
By which I don't want to downplay your departure ;-)

Thanks for all your work and succes with your further carreer! (and drop us a line from time to time :-))

grtz

Hunkadoodledoo

Post by Hunkadoodledoo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:30 am

Thanks for all your hard work, Alex! Best of luck with all your future endeavors!

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:48 am

I truly wish Alex Ionescu the best.

Yes I am sad for the project to see him leave and will miss the future disagreements with him. I learnt so much from the disagreements with him even that most of the time I lost.

It was better for him to leave when his hart is not in it any more. Than stay under some obligation. Peoples code production quality normally drops under obligation than wanting to do it.

From a Reactos project point of view he will be still producing useful documentation.

If Alex Ionescu leaving causes any more problems than minor ripple. It will points to lack of skilled developers. Then the serious question is how to get more. Not Alex Ionescu leaving. There are lot worse things that happen to projects than people leaving. Its when new people are not coming in developing and becoming skilled do you have a problem.

Lets remember the good times the fun Alex Ionescu created and his good work. I hope in the future of this project at least a few more people can have as big and as important coding role as Alex Ionescu has played. It will be interesting to see who becomes the lead.

Reacter

Post by Reacter » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:27 am

Thank you for all you have done to this project. I have seen major improvements you have done, and I would like to congradulate you. I think that about now, any of us that can code two cents should at least start chipping in to fill in the huge hole that will be left. That is the least we can do to say thank you. Thanks, Reacter.

P.S. : Remember to check in on us every year or two, if you don't mind.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:46 pm

ReactOS existed before Alex and will exist after his departure.
It would be great if you at least tried to read his post and understand it.

He clearly stated that he had rewritten those parts of kernel that suited his interests, also said that the remaining parts still required someone else, with detailed knowledge in those parts of NT kernel. Ofc Alex is a talented developper and we could use more of him, but:

THIS IS NOT A TRAGEDY. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAKE IT UP AS ONE!

This project always depended on a GROUP of developpers, by making such tragedy of Alex departure, you are directly offending the others.
lol :lol:

Try to see the reality in face. Alex was one of the most important member of the group. Of course ReactOS won't completely die, but it will have a big impact, at least in short-term. It like when a sport team loose it's star captain. Of course, if players believe really in them, they will rebuild their team and win the cup again. But it takes time...

Of course I read his post completely and fully understand it. It's a tragedy. It really is. Things won't ever be as before, for some times at least. But it's not the end of the world. What is needed now is courage and action. And I encourage everybody.

Also you should have more tact, and try to not downplay is role in the team. Or maybe you wanted to say "hurray he's gone!" :roll:
I don't think downplaying my departure is something you really want to do at this point, but that's up to you
I agree.

Reacter

Post by Reacter » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:03 pm

We don't want to make it into mass hysteria, though. If someone comes here comes along and starts back into the kernel, we have to pretend that nothing happened, that someone liked a post that someone else gave away. If no one else comes along, someone besides the few C/ASM coders here better learn ASM/C fast...
More ReactOS, please!

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:07 pm

Again, no one is downplaying anything. This is not the first time an important dev leaves the project. Same situation happened with Filip or Jason, and their presence was at least as important to ReactOS as Alex.

Of course it wont be the same, although your examples are quite irrelevant to our situation.

On the other hand, open-source projects are unstable par their nature. It is a natural for a dev in such projects to come and go. Unfortunately, Alex is now a part of ReactOS history, no matter if we want that or not.

Please do not ask me of tact, when you have none.
None of us has any influence on Alex, leaving this project. Taking part, thus, in some kind of public mourning, or something similar, you`re doing right here, is at least unproductive. You wont change anything by such posts, nor you will help ReactOS.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Of course it wont be the same, although your examples are quite irrelevant to our situation.
Well... I do not agree with you. But you have the right think something else. We will miss him since he was a big part of the project. Just like when a star player leave a winning team, people need to return to work and rebuild the team. But it could take time. But there will be success if people are not stopped by this hardship. Of course as a ReactOS fan, i will continue to support the project with all my heart at 100%.
None of us has any influence on Alex, leaving this project.
Of course, and that's why I thanked (and continue to thank) him for all the immense effort he put in the project. I give him all my wishes of success in his new projects and in his internship.
Please do not ask me of tact, when you have none.
It would be better for the sake of the the project, and the respect of all the people using this forum if you gently stopped your personal attacks. It would be very appreciated. Thank you very much, you are great.

cppm

Post by cppm » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:04 pm

Good luck Alex, all the best - ROS will miss you. Don't forget too tune in now and again and see how we're somehow managing to cope without you. :P

It seems poetic that I've finished my last exam today and suddenly have a lot of spare time on my hands - I'm going to try and expand my cursory knowledge of C and, who knows i might find something in the ROS project I can contribute too... 8)

okay, actually I'm probably too much of a programming newbie to contribute to such a large project as this, but it's nice too dream...

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:32 pm

Ok, i`m sorry.

I just want to make you understand that ReactOS is done by the effort of a whole team. I wish Alex would stay and keep his great work, but he has a right to seek his own goals.

Anyway, no matter how bad Alex departure is for ReactOS, the project will not end with him, leaving. We are still here and working on it.

Alex - good luck.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:15 pm

I wish Alex would stay and keep his great work, but he has a right to seek his own goals.
Same thing for me. I wish he would stay but I understand why he left the project, and I respect his choice.

tomleem

Continuing ROS

Post by tomleem » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Alex_Ionescu wrote:I don't know about that. When a soldier dies, I think the US Army considers it to be a tragedy, even though the mission depends on the entire platoon. And when a soldier deserts, there's usually a great emphasis on finding and shooting/arresting him, even though he may have deserted from an entire batallion.

I don't think downplaying my departure is something you really want to do at this point, but that's up to you :)

Just my 2 cents.
I think it has less to do with downplaying your departure and more to do with encouraging those left behind not to give up. AKA 'you will be missed but it won't mean the end of ROS'. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

Harteex

Post by Harteex » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:28 pm

Thanks for all the work you've done for ReactOS. I wish you all the best in the future, and I'm sure you'll go far.

Tiansen

Post by Tiansen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:32 pm

Thank you, Alex for all your great work.

Although there is sentence in your post which I dont understand:
I don't think downplaying my departure is something you really want to do at this point, but that's up to you Smile
Will you be more happy if anyone say: "Oh my god, Alex is living... oh no, ReactOS is dead! No, no, no..."

Project like this must go on, it must NOT be a tragedy even if it is :D

I know you are a responsible person and as such I expected you to downplay your departure to encourage others.

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:22 pm

in hope of your followment of this topic Alex:
Simply good luck, hope someone'll do as much kernel reverse engineering as you did