Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

XelA

Re: Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Post by XelA »

americanviper

Post by americanviper »

XelA wrote:Owncloud client
https://github.com/owncloud/client
worth a try..
algeriano

Post by algeriano »

I'm not really sure where's the need for an safedisk unpacker in ReactOS.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

https://www.sublimetext.com

I ran the setup and installed Sublime Text 3 without any problems. Quiet a great and useful text software tool for programming/scripting and I guess it'd be a great idea to include it in the ReactOS base installation or package manager.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
A360

Post by A360 »

Looking to reactos and have trial it but, if wifi, USB and cd/dvd are not available I do not look further if Brothers Keeper genealogie dbase will run on it. Because assential drivers are not aveleble. It's a potty.
osuser25

Post by osuser25 »

I am not sure if I will be the only one excited about this, but I downloaded some DOS/commandline
equivalent of some Unix/Linux shell commands.

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

The project is old, and it doesn't seem need other libraries like GOW or check for version of Windows like Cygwin so
it suits the purpose nicely.

Unzip the file and drop the contents into C:\ReactOS\bin\ or someplace else in the $PATH then you can
run stuff like grep from the command line. There aren't too many commands unfortunately, but
not many people like to use the command line any more on Windows.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Useful link, some of us still do use the command line when trying to do some 'real' stuff. MS GUIs are becoming more fractured and schizophrenic all the time, trying to find where something currently is, is not always easy. A stable GUI is one of my main reasons for supporting ReactOS.

A set of command line tools is not to be sneered at. I'm sure I have some more tucked away somewhere. I'll see if I can find them.

Seeing SED in the list, I have a copy of the old DEC VMS editor EDT ($ EDIT/EDT) that works under Windows, bringing the old EDT keypad editor back to life. It isn't open source but I know the dev and he might make it available. I'm not sure if many would find it useful today on Windows but it is a good tool for the command line user.

Useful.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

This thread is about software that could be included in ReactOS's base installation. It is not about piling on software that has no counterpart in a Microsoft Server 2003/Microsoft Windows XP install.

See the first post in this thread. (Unfortunately the wonderful decision chart graphic linked by the original post in this thread was lost.)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Software USEFUL TO REACTOS. That's a wide brief and I reckon his command line tools fit the bill, doesn't all have to be bundled with it to be useful.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
osuser25

Post by osuser25 »

Usefulness is kind of subjective. The software would be useful to me, and probably useful to others who want to make batch files which do more stuff.
Sorry if its not useful.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I don't see the problem here. Why do we need a counterpart in MS WIndows to call it useful? Including or not, some Unix commands are a nice thing to have, even on Windows/ROS ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
middings

Post by middings »

[url=https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3913]In 2007, this thread was launched[/url] by [url=https://www.reactos.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=243]mf[/url] who wrote:Because lots of people post software on the forum that might be useful to include with the ReactOS base installation...
Somehow this thread appears to have drifted away from its original purpose.

Every piece of software added to the ReactOS base installation adds to the maintenance burden of the ReactOS dev team. In the end, what will be added to the base installation or left to the ReactOS users to install is the decision of the devs.
Last edited by middings on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Absolutely - this thread is for software useful to ReactOS.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

If you want to discuss, then plz open a thread for that. BACK TO TOPIC
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ThunderbirdMOZ

Post by ThunderbirdMOZ »

Can someone repost the image that was in the OP. I never saw it and nobody else can see it anymore either.