Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

justincase

Re: Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Post by justincase »

ThunderbirdMOZ wrote:Can someone repost the image that was in the OP. I never saw it and nobody else can see it anymore either.
Yeah, if anyone has it, I'm really curious.

Anyway, my reason for posting is..., I've searched around and found no mentions of this software anywhere related to ReactOS, so I'm going to mention it.
Fake86:
I don't know if it might be helpful in any way to the developers working on the NTVDM/Fast486/etc. parts of ReactOS, but I think they should know about it, just in case.

Here's the description quoted from the SourceForge listing:
Fake86 is a portable, open-source 8086/80186 PC emulator written from the ground up in C. Although the CPU engine is a pure interpreter it is still capable of reasonably fast execution. On modern systems, it can reach rates of 35 to 50 million emulated instructions/sec and beyond.

Fake86 began in 2010 as just a project that I intended to use to familiarize myself with x86 assembly, it's binary instruction encoding format, as well learn the low-level details of the support chipset in an XT-style computer. A main goal is keeping the source as simple as reasonably possible to understand and modify. Soon the project began to expand beyond the basics to include extras like audio hardware emulation, ethernet emulation, etc.

The Windows build also has a simple drop-down menu interface to change out virtual disk images, change window resolution, etc.

The entire project's code base currently weighs in at comfortably under 7,200 lines of code.
Also, the Fake86 Website linked to by the SF project page (http://fake86.rubbermallet.org/) is down, but an older version is available via the internet archive: http://web.archive.org/web/201602161347 ... et.org:80/
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Hi, yes, we (TheFlash, Mysoft, and me) are aware of this emulator, but we didn't use it as the basis of NTVDM because its CPU emulation is limited to 80186, while for a compatible NTVDM you need to have a 80486 CPU emulation, and we didn't find a correctly-written emulator for this target (it was either <= 386 or Pentium+ as in DosBox/QEMU & al.) . So we preferred to roll our own, which works great!
Of course, for the other emulated hardware components, this Fake86 may serve as a "reference" (to be always cross-checked with other emulators like PCEm, DosBox, QEMU, Bochs, ... to cite just a few) for an implementation of said components.
forart

Post by forart »

Just discovered fastping which claims to ping at high speed on Windows 10...
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

forart wrote:Just discovered fastping which claims to ping at high speed on Windows 10...
Hmm. From reading the code, it pings multiple hosts at the same time. I don't see anything that would make it "high speed" in any way compared to other tools.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

There is Ultracopier in GPL licence.

https://ultracopier.first-world.info/download-all.html
DMJC

Post by DMJC »

gamax92 wrote: What I would like to see, is something that does said SB emulation but also works on Windows 7, because I use Windows 7. Even just OPL3 would be cool.
DOSBox doesn't count because it doesn't integrate with the console, it launches its own window.
I give you: https://bisqwit.iki.fi/source/adlmidi.html and opl3 emulation (Sound Blaster) https://github.com/Wohlstand/libADLMIDI also if you google OPL3 or SoundBlaster 16 Soundfont you'll find samples that sound exactly like a SoundBlaster 16.
DMJC

Post by DMJC »

Caligari trueSpace version 7.6 is freely available, I haven't tried it on 0.4.8 but version 6.x series runs perfectly well in ReactOS. Microsoft bought out and made the final version freeware when they closed development in the 2008/2009 GFC.
middings

Post by middings »

In this topic "software useful to ReactOS" means software that provides functionality identical or equivalent to a feature of Microsoft Windows XP or Server 2003 that is provided by Microsoft 'out of the box'. This should be software written to run on Windows. Except for the small applications such as Wordpad bundled by Microsoft with its versions of Windows, application software is off-topic here.

Software written for Linux or other non-Windows operating system is almost always useless to the ReactOS Project. Porting someone's imperfectly documented software from a non-Windows OS to run at kernel-level in a Windows environment is difficult. Generally, creating original software for ReactOS to accomplish the desired functionality is an easier task for a skilled ReactOS kernel programmer.

Other software that runs well on ReactOS but is not suitable as a component of ReactOS should be reported in the General Discussion and Feedback section of the ReactOS Forum. Screen shots of application software never before seen running with ReactOS are welcome in the EPIC WIN! topic.
mario995

Post by mario995 »

I want to tell that MyPal ( Pale Moon fork which works under XP besides Pale Moon dropped support for XP ) works under ReactOS 0.4.9 RC25
It installs directly from installer without problems, and runs
I am using it on ROS since few minutes, and I am writing that post with this browser
It is ( as I think ) the newest web browser which runs under ROS ( Firefox 49 is a bit out of date, Opera 12.18, too, I do not know what with K-Meleon )
Here is a download link
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases
I am using ReactOS in VirtualBox VM
MarbledMarmot

Post by MarbledMarmot »

You're probably already aware of this, but you never no so I'm posting anyway. The "question chart" alluded to in the first post for this forum is a dead link. http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8835 ... ionwa5.png just goes to the ImageShack home page.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

middings wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:07 pm In this topic "software useful to ReactOS" means software that provides functionality identical or equivalent to a feature of Microsoft Windows XP or Server 2003
It's true, the main goal is Windows Server 2003, but the subject is propositions for Useful Softwares, not necessary softwares to complete the missing features with Server 2003. The propositions can be include in the OS, but also in the packages software (ReactOS Apps).

Another proposition, for the Active Directory feature, there is a project open source named "LDAP Admin" :
http://ldapadmin.org/index.html

There is also "OpenLDAP" but the previous software have a GUI.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

mario995 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:22 pm I want to tell that MyPal ( Pale Moon fork which works under XP besides Pale Moon dropped support for XP ) works under ReactOS 0.4.9 RC25
Good to hear - Open source mean that forks such as yours exist, stick with it and keep it operating. If you can do this for a few years you may even become the default browser for ReactOS when it enters beta and beyond!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

shunesburg wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:24 pm
middings wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:07 pm In this topic "software useful to ReactOS" means software that provides functionality identical or equivalent to a feature of Microsoft Windows XP or Server 2003
It's true, the main goal is Windows Server 2003, but the subject is propositions for Useful Softwares, not necessary software to complete the missing features with Server 2003.
Review the original post in this topic. This topic is about software for the base installation of ReactOS, not for add-ons. (Unfortunately, the explanatory diagram that was provided by the OP has been lost, a casualty of using an outsider's servers to store a post's graphic images.)
The propositions can be include in the OS, but also in the packages software (ReactOS Apps).
This topic is only about software that can be adapted to serve as part of the OS, that replicate features shipped with Microsoft Windows Server 2003. This topic is not about general user-space apps. There are other places to suggest additions to RAPPS, such as the General Discussion and Feedback forum.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

How about changing the name of the thread so that it stops causing confusion?

This thread is becoming annoying.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

Perhaps this topic should be locked and archived.