Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mf
Developer

Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Post by mf »

Because lots of people post software on the forum that might be useful to include with the ReactOS base installation, I've made a question chart to make sure only useful programs get suggested.

Ready? Go!

[ external image ]

Hope this clears everything up.
It compiles, let's ship it!
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Great chart! I think it can be really useful and I totally agree with it! Perhaps you could host the image on reactos.org in stead of imageshack, because I can see how this file could be handy for quite some time.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What about MIT license?
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Haos wrote:What about MIT license?
I don't know, I just took this off wikipedia.
forart

Post by forart »

1. Interesting, but what about make it dynamic (maybe a part of the compatibility database submission form) ? It would also be great to have a color compatibility-like approach too...

2. I think the path from the step 2 should divide into GPL compatible or GPL incompatible.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

forart wrote:2. I think the path from the step 2 should divide into GPL compatible or GPL incompatible.
Yes, that's what I did. I don't get your point?
dreams

Post by dreams »

Excellent chart, should be in a faq!
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Haos wrote:What about MIT license?
MIT License is comparable to the BSD/X11 licenses. For that matter, I think for a time the X Windows system was under the MIT license, if it still isn't.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

MIT license does not exist. Most cases what people think is the MIT licence is the Expat License. That is GPL compatible.

For simplisty I would have myself just pointed them to http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/i ... leLicenses
<addon> Or place a copy of that on reactos in the wiki. So that new licenses don't need updating of chart. </addon>
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

MIT license does exist, it is also called X license or X11 license (which is on the chart), and it's a lot like BSD

Expat happens to use a MIT license for distribution, along with putty and others

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
andrewweb

Utility Toolbar

Post by andrewweb »

:D Great chart, does COMPILED, pure delphi qualify(it is pure win32, unlike vbasic!).

Look in the suggestions section for my bit about Utilituy toolbar(PLEASE include it!) :D
Phalanx

Re: Utility Toolbar

Post by Phalanx »

andrewweb wrote::D Great chart, does COMPILED, pure delphi qualify(it is pure win32, unlike vbasic!).

Look in the suggestions section for my bit about Utilituy toolbar(PLEASE include it!) :D
That is the very problem. The project is open source, and meant to be compiled with as little other tools/libraries etc as possible. That is why they state C/C++, not win32 binaries. Even while in win32 it can matter if it is a win32, MFC, etc.
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

yes, MIT aka. X11 (included in chart) is used by xorg.
BSD also gives you permission to use organization/people names in the name of your derived software promotion
mf
Developer

Re: Utility Toolbar

Post by mf »

andrewweb wrote::D Great chart, does COMPILED, pure delphi qualify(it is pure win32, unlike vbasic!).

Delphi is derived from Pascal, which is on the chart.
FSX

Post by FSX »

Why isn't the Xfree86 license GNU compatible? All it says is that you need to say ROS was made using fooware, if you use fooware to make something else. Or does that violate the GNU's strict, enslaving terms on those matters?