ReactOS 0.3.2

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Do not conser about news I just make it only admin and modrator can create a new post there,

The date for 0.3.2 release are unknmown , the 1-2 is how long time I think name pipe regress will take be fixed before 0.3.2 being branched.

after something being branched then we exaime what is the blocker and wich bugs will be fixed, this process can go fast or slow depns how many blockers we put up and bugs are need be fixed and regress.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

gabrielilardi wrote:Just a suggestion, since the supposed deadline has been reached, it would save a lot of useless posts just to update the website with a few lines (I.E. We're are working on some regression issues, the release date has to be delayed... etc.)
Homepage now updated
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

I think you shouldn't put that "two months" on your front page. In that case you won't have any naggers asking why it isn't out yet :). ReactOS is far too large and complex to release every two months. Anyone should know that, so why is it still on the front page?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I think you shouldn't put that "two months"
I agree with you. I did ask why there were no release yet, but it was because I thought that there would be releases every 2 months, even if those releases were not stable. So less stable releases, but more often so the project would get more visibility. I really thought it was the plan... And I think that other thought like I did...

You should revert it to was it was before.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Cristan wrote:ReactOS is far too large and complex to release every two months. Anyone should know that, so why is it still on the front page?
It's on the front page because that's what's going to happen. You have no idea what is and isn't possible, so please drop the condesending tone.

The 2 month schedule has only just been put into place, so there are bound to be teathing issues until trunk is stabalized. Once stabalized, it will be kept like that.

In retrospect to your view, regular releases help to keep large projects stable and moving forward. Wine release every 2 weeks, and that will eventually be a goal we aim for.
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

I'm sorry if I have offended you or anyone else. It's just that as far as I've seen that it's pretty common that it takes at least 2 months between branching a new version and actually releasing it. Releasing a new version every two months seems a bit ambitious to me.

As for the comparison with wine: wine has already a working framework. Most new versions just feature the implementation of a few new API calls and a few bugfixes. This is pretty easily debugged and released. ReactOS is more than that: it's an entire operating system which has multiple large rewrites going on and more in the planning stage. That's why 0.3.1 doesn't really work well in real hardware: because it was released in the middle of a rewrite. Releasing often and keeping the releases stable could be hard.

On the other hand I can only applaud your goal to release new ReactOS versions more often. After all, it only states on the main page that it is "loosely-scheduled" two months after 0.3.1 and what's the fun of a goal if it isn't ambitious ;).
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

it will happen, you can be sure of that ;)

The main goal over the next few releases is to stabalize trunk, making regular releases much easier to do.

Ironically, it's our long release process which has gotten us into this state in the first place. When we have 6-12 months between releases, it means that we introduce many regressions which start to mount up.
These regressions are only realised or acted upon when a release is pending, which means our release dates are badly delayed.
Additionally, these regressions slow the development progress as at times we can't even boot the system.

By introducing a 2 month release cycle, we ensure that trunk is mostly stable and regressions are found quickly, but this won't happen immediatley. the main problem is that 0.3.1 was branched in the middle of some major kernel work, and was a bit of a bodged release. Now, we're stuck with major regressions again.

Although we have known we needed to decrease our release cycle for some time, it was actually a recent email by Linux Torvalds which highlighted our problomatic release process, and how this hindered our development. Hopefully, we're on the road to putting things right.

Release early, release often. ;)
Cristan

Post by Cristan »

You got an e-mail from Linus Torvalds? Your lives must be complete right now! :D

Anyway, I understand your point: being able to test your programming on an actually booting ReactOS will be pretty handy and also good for morale. And less regressions and keeping your community happy with more releases are also good.

So all there is for me to say is good luck! I'll be waiting for 0.3.2 :D.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

the email wasn't directed at us, it was something on the linux kernel mailing list.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/26/312

It's a good read, and explains why we're aiming to reduce our release cycles.
aicommander
Developer

Releases of ReactOS

Post by aicommander »

I believe that 2 months should be the MAX time without a release. Devs should do a release when they think that it is best.
Tiansen

Post by Tiansen »

I believe that 2 months should be the MAX time without a release. Devs should do a release when they think that it is best.
Well, there is some contradiction in your post, don't you think? :)
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

No contradiction. There has to be a Max target to apply pressure.

So the developer has to choose between adding new features and fixing bugs.

Its not like we are talking about 2 week releases or something.

Failure to meet a release also apply pressure. Reason why the number had to increase and 0.3.2 could not just be delayed since its release date had been missed. So everything is working perfectly. Just is needing a little time to get into the swing of it. Note if 0.3.3 gets skipped there will be more pressure on the developers. Least pressure make releases.

Them people might talk about cutting it back to a month or something faster.
Vorg

Post by Vorg »

sound like those brain dead bean counters that force so much crap on the market before it's ready.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

And that sounds like a certain other company whose product we try to emulate. Or AntiVirus companies.
More ReactOS, please!
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Note skipping release numbers is permitted.

Note 2 monthly is slow compared to a lot of projects. One of the related projects is on a 2 week cycle. So that regressions are small.

You also have to take into account that Reactos is not version 1.0. Ie stable.

Currently its the Alpha Status hoping to get to Beta status soon. So fast releases are perfectly acceptable. Daily would even be acceptable. But to do Daily takes a lot of person power.

Its all about testing. More often it has to run on a broad range of machines the better. The more people who test it the better. Releases allow this.

Now if the stable branch releases might slow. Development releases most likely will stay at the same speed. For the one reason without releases what reason is there to fix bugs.

Of course Reactos is not going to get stable status without decent testing.

That is where other companies let it down bad testing. AntiVirus companies are pushing against the clock. Viruses writers don't stop because there scanning engine is defective.