DirectX 10 without Vista?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

idcarlos

DirectX 10 without Vista?

Post by idcarlos »

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=39095

"... users will be able to run Windows games intended on the Mac OS X on x86-based Macinteltoshes as well as Linux... ".
forart

Post by forart »

Well, according to this page Cody Brocious is one of the reverse engineers behind the barelly legal PyMusique DRM-free iTunes client.
Seems that he has some relation with Michael Robertson too...

Even if we don't need proprietary-code stealers, talented hackers and developers are welcomed so, if you can, try to contact him by AOL:

Cody's profile page

Here's some other interesting links:
- Cody's Still Life blog: A reverse-engineer's journeys through the fun world of encryption.
- Cody's Alky Project blog: the page where you can find the preview build
- the DXTen.com wiki: official (?) page
- ...and Falling Leaf Systems, LLC seems related to the project too...

Last but not least, i mailed them all. 8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

More than possible.

Winehq.org for summer of code laying down the basics if DX 10.

Everyone forgets one thing. Intel is our friend when it comes do DX10. Completely open source drivers and specs of their video cards.

What is also wrong. Is if you have a DX10 card with Windows XP the drivers provided by any of the video card companies allows it to render it correctly.

So it a real joke saying that DX10 required Vista. Video cards makers have already shown that it is complete false hood.
Switchboy

Post by Switchboy »

http://alkyproject.blogspot.com/

He claims it runs on XP
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Do not buy into what project alky write.
both wine and ReactOS have our eyes on them

here is the company behine alky lindows aka linespire

the frist release they did was they did manger run dx on any platfrom the funny thing is it was some own writen demo using extrem few api of dx. Not good for any real apps. Now they are back again claiming they can run dx10 apps in xp. problame some own writen apps again, that using extrem few dx10 api.

project alky whant write eveting from scrash to write dx10 within this timeline is not posible with extream few devs.
FallingLeaf

Post by FallingLeaf »

GreatLord wrote:Do not buy into what project alky write.

the frist release they did was they did manger run dx on any platfrom the funny thing is it was some own writen demo using extrem few api of dx. Not good for any real apps. Now they are back again claiming they can run dx10 apps in xp. problame some own writen apps again, that using extrem few dx10 api.

project alky whant write eveting from scrash to write dx10 within this timeline is not posible with extream few devs.
I'm not so sure why those in the community have seemed so quick to jump to conclusions in regards to what we're working on. First and foremost, the Alky project is solely owned and operated by Falling Leaf Systems, LLC and has no affiliation whatsoever with Linspire. Yes, I come from Linspire, but I've also worked at McDonalds, so does that mean they have a hand in Alky as well?

We haven't set any timeline, so I'm not sure I even know what you're referring to. However, I think it would be far more prudent if we looked at ways we could benefit one another than what is currently taking place.

Brian Thomason
CEO
Falling Leaf Systems, LLC
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You'll have to excuse GreatLord. All the developers here have strong personal opinions, and since DX is GreatLord's area of expertise, he's going to make his opinion felt on anything that touches on it.

That said, the general opinion of the community is somewhat ambiguous regarding your work. We're just going to watch and wait. But since our project is also working on a DX10 implementation, well, who knows.
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

FallingLeaf wrote:

I'm not so sure why those in the community have seemed so quick to jump to conclusions in regards to what we're working on. First and foremost, the Alky project is solely owned and operated by Falling Leaf Systems, LLC and has no affiliation whatsoever with Linspire. Yes, I come from Linspire, but I've also worked at McDonalds, so does that mean they have a hand in Alky as well?

We haven't set any timeline, so I'm not sure I even know what you're referring to. However, I think it would be far more prudent if we looked at ways we could benefit one another than what is currently taking place.

Brian Thomason
CEO
Hmm...for a CEO, you don't seem very diplomatic-when possible, it is always better to contact developers in a private email, not on a public forum....
FallingLeaf

Post by FallingLeaf »

elektrik wrote:
Hmm...for a CEO, you don't seem very diplomatic-when possible, it is always better to contact developers in a private email, not on a public forum....
I was only refuting what had been posted publicly and don't see any way in which what I said was undiplomatic, but I have been told I have the tact of a ten pound sledge hammer, so I won't argue the point.

We are taking this offline now. Thanks for the reply GreatLord.

-Brian
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You're more than welcome to stick around and make your opinions known. This community, like any other, can seem stuck up at times, but generally we don't slap down someone just for expressing their opinion. Persistent and intentional annoyance is another matter entirely, but I'm thinking your views will be rather interesting to hear.
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

the people from FromVistaToXp.com (known for their VAIO project to make vista programs run in XP, including the sidebar and other things) have joined Falling Leaf's Alky to try to provide more than DX10 to XP, now they will go for core Vista APIs

from http://www.fallingleafsystems.com/compatibility/
Alky was originally focused only on bringing DirectX 10 based games to users of operating systems other than Windows Vista. Our recent merger with the FromVistaToXp.com team, however, has expanded the scope of our libraries to now encompass core Microsoft Windows Vista APIs to further increase application compatibility.

The libraries act as a proxy to all Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) accessed by an application. This enables us to redirect API requests to existing platform functionality or custom implementations as needed. The libraries also allow us to integrate application-specific logic enabling users to explicitly define application behavior.

I'm actually asking this to the devs... but maybe an interaction with Falling Leaf Team could be reconsidered now that the project is set in good tracks to try to bring part of their research not only on DX10, but also on those APIs to ReactOS and begin work in Vista compatibility?

EDIT: a little more info on the merge here: http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?s ... ode=linear
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

They're not open source. That by itself counts against working with them for legal reasons. And GreatLord has already spoken with Falling Leaf privately. If Alky is doing the through OpenGL route, their work would also be mostly useless to us anyways.
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

hmm.. I understand.. but they don't need to be open source at the moment to work with them... maybe they could choose to open source certain part of their work if you talk with them or something like that... or share ideas even if no code is shared... I believe that an option for cooperation should not be closed shut just because they are not opensource at the moment :?

but anyways, if they are implementing it trough other ways, I guess you're right and it won't help even if they were open source..
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

As i recently heard from GreatLord, guys, wait and be patient. Soon there is something to happen with Dx10, and possibly...

Something wonderfull...
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

elektrik wrote:
FallingLeaf wrote:

Brian Thomason
CEO
everyone is allowed to have opinions. and frankly i don't care how much tact he has. all i want is to be able to play my Games For Windows on Linux and react or whatever i chose to run my computer. i don't think DX9 and DX10 as a way to lock-in customers is very cool. if react is a great OS, then i will run that when i can, with my copy of Starcraft II. otherwise, i look forward to the day when i can play Starcaft, Starcraft II, etc on linux.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia