Installation GUI

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Djhg2000

Installation GUI

Post by Djhg2000 »

Hello.

I've tried ReactOS in a virtual machine (QEmu), and I'm suprised by your progress. I heard about it on TWiT (This Week in Tech, it's a podcast), and ROS is very good.

But when I tried to install it on real hardware, it failed because it couldn't find my RAID controller (Asus BE7-RAID) and I couldn't load any drivers at install.

To sum it up a litle bit:
My suggestion is to add a "Load driver" button or command somwhere before the installation begins, in order to load any Win32 driver :) (or try, concidering the kernel isn't complete yet :( )

I hope this is good feedback, because it would make it work on more of the computers out there.

mvent2

Re: Installation GUI

Post by mvent2 »

Djhg2000 wrote:I've tried ReactOS in a virtual machine (QEmu), and I'm suprised by your progress. I heard about it on TWiT (This Week in Tech, it's a podcast), and ROS is very good.
Hi,

Can you tell me which episode that was?

Djhg2000

Post by Djhg2000 »

I'm sorry, I can't remember, but I think it was a late -06 or early -07 (I had some catching up to do, so I just listened to all of them from about show 63 I think, but I can be wrong about that number).

He brouhgt it up (I think it was Hank) by saying he did a google search for "Windows lookalike".

Hope that helps.

cruzades

Post by cruzades »

I wish I could run it on real HW soon. :wink:

mikedep333

Re: Installation GUI

Post by mikedep333 »

Djhg2000 wrote: My suggestion is to add a "Load driver" button or command somwhere before the installation begins, in order to load any Win32 driver.
I agree that this would be a very useful feature. Unfortunately Plug N Play support was only added before .3.1 was released. I also think is likely that Plug N Play is not functional in the first stage setup, so loading a driver then may not be possible. Furthermore our USB storage stack is not finished yet, so you would not be able to load a driver off of a USB drive anyway.

I do hope it is implemented though, as I need RAID controller support for my real hardware.