REACTOS PSP

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reub2000

Re: REACTOS PSP

Post by reub2000 »

Well, now that it's been resurrected, I was wondering why someone would want to run ros on some odd platform. Fer christs sake, it doesn't even run on my desktop.
d3drocks

Post by d3drocks »

Someone got Win95 running on PSP. The problem is the firmware of the PSP, only the very first revision (afaik) has allowed to do such things.
I can vouch for Windows 95 running on a psp, as I have it working on mine via dosbox.
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

How about this, I'll put this one to bed because it's never really been solved. I will assemble the latest reactos build in bochs. there will be one build that uses 20mb of ram on the Phat and one that uses 52mb of ram for the slim. in addition ReactX will be disabled, and I'll attempt to create a Lan emulated driver for the PSP's wifi. I will attempt to run the emulator on the media processor along with the x86 interrupter, and then all interrupted code will be executed on the main cpu. In effect you should have the PSP running at realtime 333mhz. There will be no memory catch as I have no intention of destroying SD cards. The PSP App will be contained in a CSO and compressed to cut down on the size of the virtual drive. Changes will be saved at the end of the session. The CSO will be rebuilt on shutdown and will require a 5min shut down time. Powering off will result of loss of that session.

Also if anyone has advice for building reactos on an Arm Cpu I will be able to avoid bochs completely, allowing me to run reactos on two treads (Media Cpu / Main), and hacking together a dual core virtual cpu that can better compensate for the lack of memory.

Ideas and comments are welcomed...
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
doomonyou

Post by doomonyou »

Cool. I cant wait to see screenshots.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

Will this show up under games? Will I need an app to run it? Will it run at 100% speed?

Code: Select all

PSP SLIM 5.00 M33-6
(Does anyone know an update to play new games? PLEASE!!!)

Anyways, I would like to bring this to some of the forum users attention, if some don't know, Your PSP has to have custom Firmware.
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

Update, So I have a working build for the slim but it took 30min to boot to the desktop after a 3 hour install. At the moment this is both inpractical as well as useless because when ran on a Phat the memory was overly limited and the system will not run without a catch which will just destroy SD cards. So unless someone knows of a way to compile RoS for an Arm Cpu I and going to have to give up on this one, as there is no head room for adding a mouse driver, networking, or Sony Keyboard Support.

Even with ARM support, only the slim will be able to Run RoS because the Phats 32mb wont be enough for the PSP-OS and the RoS to run at the same time. But with 64mb we would be able to do something. The OS only uses 3-4mb and RoS requires 32.

Why I need the PSP Os You Ask..? (Because I'm not about to write Win32 Device drivers for every component of the PSP)

Please Help if You Think You can get RoS compiled on Arm, because emulating the hardware will be easy, but running an interrupter is just to inefficient, for any thing more than Win 3.11

(Those looking for Win32 on a PSP , I Advise Boching Windows NT 3.51) <-- Cool Idea {Yes / No}
Other wise Stick with Win16 - Win3.1/3.11
Wesley Howard
manatails007

Is this what you want?

Post by manatails007 »

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

This is actually a Lua Shell and aside from the graphic this actually has nothing to do with RoS...
It would be nice if it ran that fast though lol.. / sigh!
Wesley Howard
manatails007

Post by manatails007 »

livestrong2109 wrote:This is actually a Lua Shell and aside from the graphic this actually has nothing to do with RoS...
It would be nice if it ran that fast though lol.. / sigh!
but it is fun! Hehe
btw I'm gonna search my disks for source code.. I wonder if I still have it, because it is coded more than a year ago
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Um, the PSP doesn't use an ARM CPU - that's the DS that does (two in fact). The PSP uses a MIPS CPU like the N64, PS1, and PS2.
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

I'm aware, but Arm it the closest thing I'll be able to match it with, believe me if I could compile it in arm all I would need is a way of emulating the system clock.
Wesley Howard
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

livestrong2109 wrote:I'm aware, but Arm it the closest thing I'll be able to match it with, believe me if I could compile it in arm all I would need is a way of emulating the system clock.

Will you be making this for the Slim? Could it run?
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

The only (internal) difference between the slim and original PSP (besides battery life) is the RAM amount: the original has 32MB, the slim has 64MB.