ReactOS on USB ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mixpower

ReactOS on USB ?

Post by Mixpower »

Hey,

I have a question does anyone has a guide or do you know how to get React OS on a USB Device ?

Thanks.
preston
Developer

Post by preston »

hi!

I have an answer. try searching the forum first http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... hlight=usb
Last edited by preston on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOX86

Post by NOX86 »

how to boot ROS directly from usb stick. Is there any posibility to boot ROS like XP?
http://gocoding.com/page.php?al=petousb
or
http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/boot-readme.html
Mixpower

Post by Mixpower »

Hey,

Thanks for your reply's.
I read that topic before but i am not a star with linux,
i hope someone has a detailed guide on how to do it

Thanks.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Booting from USB doesn't work

Post by Jaix »

Booting from USB doesn't work yet, it must be supported by the OS, cause wen the OS takes over after FreeLoader the system halts if USB boot isn't supported.
However, this will be supported in the future aswell as installing to USB.

Even the documented to work BartPE USB Boot support is greately depending on hardware. I have only been able to boot one computer from USB-stick a IBM Thinkpad x31 my other coputers either bluescreens or hangs.
mikedep333

Re: Booting from USB doesn't work

Post by mikedep333 »

Jaix wrote: Even the documented to work BartPE USB Boot support is greately depending on hardware. I have only been able to boot one computer from USB-stick a IBM Thinkpad x31 my other coputers either bluescreens or hangs.
I have had similar experience.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Let's make things better

Post by Jaix »

Well, USB boot isn't used very much, but let's hope that'll change when ReactOS implement installation to USB, and that all issues can be worked out in all hardware.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Which usb hubs types are currently working with the current usb (in progress) driver? I am sure when you can boot it on the 3 main types, then many people will test it on all different hardware.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

for those that have tried BartPE and come up with the 0x00000007b error, or something like that, the bios chip may not be set to USB >> HDD emulation. Windows XP is completely used to USB, but has a tendency to take over. That is why later BartPE systems use a ramdisk.( I am a fanatic of BartPE CD's ). Unfortunately, I don't believe ReactOS can use this ramdisk as of yet. So unless your bios supports USB >> HDD emulation or ReactOS gets SCSI / ramdisk support soon, no USB boot :cry: . I wish i had something else to say, and if I am in error please correct me.
More ReactOS, please!