Vista, 64 bit and multi-core processor compatibility/support

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vIQtor

Vista, 64 bit and multi-core processor compatibility/support

Post by vIQtor »

Hi,

I just wanted to ask whether you plan to develop ReactOS in a dynamic way or your plans are static.

The question in details:

Are your plans only to develop an XP compatible OS as it is stated on main page or you "upgrade" your plans based on the market and technology changes and you will include Vista, 64 bit and multi-core compatibility/support in future developments?

Thanks,

vIQtor
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Hello ,
as far as i know .. ReactOS will remain compatible to the latest version in the NT line .. and i think a few Vista specific stuff has already been implemented at places..So, most probably Vista compatibility will exist..

As for the 64 bit , multicore.. sure it wll be supported (u can build SMP )out of the trunk but i dont know if it works.. but as time goes and ROS becomes stable someone will put in the support...
Regards GreyGhost
lakehousetech

Post by lakehousetech »

I am looking forward to an alternative to XP. From what I understand MS is ending support in a couple years?
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Support for XP will end after the release of "Windows 7" (that's what I heard in the past).
lakehousetech

Post by lakehousetech »

I've heard things here and there, and just as much nothing concrete. The release date for 7 is somewhere around 2010 right? I guess that would fall into the same time frame. XP is a good OS, and I would hate to see them drop it. Hopefully 7 won't be the bloated beast that Vista is. I only use Windows currently for gaming because playing the more intensive releases under wine in linux is a serious performance killer. Maybe this will get better in time as well?
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

MS is going to support windows xp for 6 more years: http://blogs.technet.com/lifecycle/arch ... -30th.aspx
lakehousetech

Post by lakehousetech »

That's good to know. Thx.