Vista issue with ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Reacter

Vista issue with ReactOS

Post by Reacter »

This is really weird, but when I installed a copy of ReactOS beside Vista, set the systemroot to C:\ReactOS, and ran a few ReactOS programs, Vista added some Activation (that code where you type in the 25 characters?)
programs into ReactOS. There is also a directory C:\ReactOS\registration, which I am sure the devs did not put there. I am just guessing, but I beleive Vista thought that ReactOS was Windows! :shock: . If you know if that is the case or not, pleeeease, do tell, this is cool and funny in a sick way, but now I can't boot to ReactOS without the Vista Authentication system (trying to) start!
More ReactOS, please!
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Could you please list the exact steps that cause you to end up with that mess. Reactos should never ask for a Activation code.

This is important to know exactly what you did.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Yesterday, after installing ReactOS, I noticed that control.exe was trying to run Windows control panel elements. I changed %systemroot% to C:\ReactOS and ran control.exe. It still came up with Windows control applets, but that was something I decided wouldn't go away, and ran your explorer shell, imagesoft.exe, taskmgr.exe, sol.exe, *_winetest.exe, and ibrowser.exe. None except taskmgr.exe worked, so I CD'd out of system32, and right in the ReactOS folder was the MS registration folder. When I tried saying that other folders where systemroot, they did NOT have the registration folder. Also, the Registry files where a KB bigger and had something besides normal ReactOS stuff in it. I havn't rebooted, because I am not sure if Vista will try something stupid, like trying to boot ReactOS with Vista's Winlogon.exe or SLUI.exe authentication system.
More ReactOS, please!
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Reacter, you're doing the one installation setup that we've advised against. You're installing and using ReactOS and Windows on the same system. A shortcut to getting drivers into ReactOS does involve installing Windows and then installing ReactOS over it, but we don't expect to run Windows after that. We advised against it because of the exact types of conflicts you're running into now. For that matter, it is never wise to install two operating systems to the same partition.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I don't mean any disrespect Z98. There is not enough information to make the call you have. Vista could be installed on D:\. Or the other possibility tried running Reactos like a general application. What it is not.

I asked for a exact list of what you did. I am wanting was enough information to repeat exactly what you did. That has not been provided.

Exact list in my mind includes Versions of Reactos and Vista involved. Where Vista and Reactos was installed Reactos should be a fat32 partition. How was Reactos and Vista booted. Did you run anything from Reactos while running Vista. With a exact list reproducing what happened to you should be able to be done. If there is not enough information so a person who knows nothing about what you did cannot repeat it then its not a exact and complete list. This rules out some form of really freak event if someone else can do it.

Without being able to repeat what you it did could be imposable to know exactly what caused it. Knowing exactly what caused it is required to creating warning so no one else ends up in exactly the same location as you.
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Z98 wrote:Reacter, you're doing the one installation setup that we've advised against.
So it should be wise if ReactOS would detect if a partition is in use by a previously installed OS - and then refuse from install !
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

PeterK its not recommended in the Microsoft Documentation either. And they don't block it on install. The Microsoft Recommendation is separate partitions. If in the same partition a approved combination. NT4 or 2000 with XP on a machine is not approved combination. Reactos is a NT style. NT style plus the 9x set of os's 95 98 ME.. is a approved combination in the same partition.

So its one of those annoying things. If you want to take insane option you can and its your problem. Most likely can be got to work but with a lot or care. I do think the reactos installer should include a warning to be a little better than the Microsoft one.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

PeterK wrote:
Z98 wrote:Reacter, you're doing the one installation setup that we've advised against.
So it should be wise if ReactOS would detect if a partition is in use by a previously installed OS - and then refuse from install !
I think warning with a default option to installing in another location is better than refusing. There could be a few rare cases.
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

oiaohm wrote: I do think the reactos installer should include a warning to be a little better than the Microsoft one.
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYes !
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You're right, I am jumping to conclusions on his setup. However, I am basing those conclusions on what he's posted. So ultimately, it is a case of we need more information.
Scan-C

Post by Scan-C »

I just tried install ROS together with Vista Ultimate on another partition and on the same partition after the first test.
Both times ROS has overwritten the MBR and bootet itself. If I choose not to install freeloader Vista boots completely normal as it should do.

I would really like to recreate this effect. Reacter please provide more information on what you did exactly.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Sorry, I haven't done much on the forums with studying for stuff. Either way you look at the installer, I didn't use it anyway. I've never used the ROS installer for already-used partitions, and I have a batch file to do this job. Windows is at C:\Windows, ReactOS is at C:\ReactOS. It uses mkhive.exe to make hives, and unpacks ReactOS. My system is a Dell Inspiron 1000. That's it.
More ReactOS, please!
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

This is annoying. A complete this list at least.
Version of Windows involved and type.
Version of Reactos involved. (even the SVN has a version ie a SVN number)
Format of partition.
What you install so you can boot Reactos.

Please note no where there shows how you are booting reactos. If running reactos programs inside windows using reactos hives is asking for trouble. Reactos control panel is ment to be a replacement to windows control panel so it functions the same way.
"I have a batch file"
Now could you do this without it. How can we repeat exactly what you did when what you did in the batch file we don't have. We are after information so we can repeat it and dig into it. And you are not handing enough over. Very frustrating for us.

Reactos Installer would be simpler since everyone has that bit.
steveh

Reactos installed over Vista?

Post by steveh »

:shock:
@Reacter
Did you install Reactos "over Vista" means in the same partition?
Is this a FAT32 partition, i think this is the only way reactos can access a windows system partition at this moment?

>There is also a directory C:\ReactOS\registration, which I am sure the devs did not put there.

Indeed, C:\Reactos\system32\config contains a similar set of registry files as windows. I insist on "similar". Maybe the format is compatible, but surely the registry content is not.

If the reactos registry content (not the location) is looking "unusual", maybe Vista has written something into %reactosroot%/system32/config meanwhile?
Can there also happen some mismatch on paths, and reactos would be writing into %winroot%/system32/config instead of %reactosroot%/system32/config?

Quite dangerous, if paths get mismatched by a manipulation error, each of the 2 OSes could damage the others registry?
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

He probably did what i did time ago, copy reactos to a directory and load it with the Windows loader, using the windows boot menu (modified). It was possible in the 0.2x series.

Best regards,
Lucio.

PD: No need to touch windows in any way...we suppouse.