Reporting Bugs

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Horcrux7

Reporting Bugs

Post by Horcrux7 »

Hello,

Which types of bugs should be reported. I know this is a alpha but there are such many bugs like:
* Crashes
* not working menus or button (no reaction)
* wrong reaction (wrong dialog)

After 20 minutes of testing I have see over 50 bugs. I does not want spam the bugzilla.

Regards Horcrux7

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Crashes are helpful, so long as you have the debugging output. Missing menus/whatever are probably all known by the devs. Wrong reaction's another thing that would be useful.

cuppm

Post by cuppm »

Probably should test for the bugs on the trunk before submitting them, right?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Yeah. For the time being, after we release, that release becomes unsupported/obsolete. All focus shifts over to trunk again and issues specific to 0.3.1 are ignored.

Horcrux7

Post by Horcrux7 »

* If I click on the keyboard icon in the System Control then occur the mouse properties dialog. This is a bug that can be reported?

* I am understand that only bugs of the trunk are of interest. But the nightly build are not running with VMWare. I have test different builds without luck. Should I use another Emulator? Iuse VMWare because it is the most popular emulator and it should show the fewest problems.

* How can I receive debugging output? I think I need the dbg build. Is there a description how I can receive the debugging output it.

I want help the reactos project because it is very nice. But I think it is very difficult with beginning.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It is fairly difficult. It's something that we have to address, but I'm currently preparing for three exams right now. There are ways to reroute debugging output from QEMU to a text file, which is what I do exclusively. I'm currently helping encoded test his QEMU GUI for Windows, which would make things much easier. It's written for .NET, but it works and that's all that really counts as far as I'm concerned.

The keyboard icon going to mouse would be a bug, but I just tested trunk and it worked for me.

PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Horcrux7 wrote:* How can I receive debugging output? I think I need the dbg build. Is there a description how I can receive the debugging output it.
On real hardware :

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/P ... rial_cable

Horcrux7

Post by Horcrux7 »

With the debug output I have understand now. The next problem is to run the trunk version.

I does not use real hardware. I think this should be easer because the hardware dependency.

* I use an boot dbg image 2-3 days old.
* With VMware I have a black screen after some seconds.
* Now I have test QEMU. The first part of the setup work. On the second part it load some drivers and hang then with a black screen. If I switch from isapc to pc then the GUI come back after the black screen. In the GUI part there is no keyboard input. I can move the mouse but I can't enter a user name. I use the floow command line on windows:
qemu.exe -L . -m 256 -hda reactos.img

What should I do?
* download a newer image?
* use other QEMU parameters?
* use another emulator?
* contact the IRC channel?
* come back in a year if version 0.4 is available?

I am a little frustrated.

PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Horcrux7 wrote: The next problem is to run the trunk version.
I am a little frustrated.
I understand You.

The problem is that You just can report Your status, maybe write a bug report in Bugzilla .. but not more. It is even not guaranteed that someone will work on especially YOUR bug the next time.

Having benefit of user's bug reports will be enhanced the next time as far as I know. So don't give up and please post Your experiences.

TRUNK: it is for development, and in the moment it does mostly not boot up due to new added (incomplete) features.

Thanks,
Peter.
Last edited by PeterK on Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That actually depends on the revision. Some of the newest versions of trunk will work on QEMU, because a memcopy issue was just fixed. We then had a keyboard issue that was also fixed.