Cache Manager (CC)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cristan

Cache Manager (CC)

Post by Cristan »

This topic is about the Cache Manager. It is a part of the kernel, and enables (for example) multiple filesystems.

I believe there is a rewrite going on / already in 0.3.1

As you can see, I know fairly little about it. Does anybody know more about it or its status?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The Cache Manager (CC/CM) rewrite is currently halted. You can see the branch in SVN (note, Alex's CM branch is for configuration manager, not cache manager). According to Fireball, one of the devs might pick that up in a bit after he's done with other stuff.
Malba Tahan

Post by Malba Tahan »

Cache Manager rewrite seems to be very difficult to do, because I've been hearing about it for years, and it's never done.

I'd like to know, in fact, what really *is* the Cache Manager. Is it related to the processor cache? And what benefits will ReactOS have when it's ready?

Thanks
Bush was reelected, Terminator is at his side, and Superman is dead! Who's gonna save us?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The Cache Manager works to cache data in memory. Considering it's a kernel subsystem, yes, it would be difficult to write/rewrite. The biggest issue however is again the lack of manpower. And with a proper cache manager, work can continue on supporting other file systems like ext2/3/4. And probably a few speed increases as well.