IIS Functionality

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jakobssystems

IIS Functionality

Post by jakobssystems » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:06 am

I would like to see ReactOS as host for IIS based application for classic ASP Webs with server created COM DLLs (mostly capsulated MySQL and ADO based transactions). Then we would have a chance to set up and give away complete Images for demonstration purposes which we cant do now. Even many of our .NET based apps still require unmanaged (COM) code which wont run in Mono/Linux enviroment. A Windows clone like ReactOS would be perfect.

Can anybody give comment if and when you are aiming at this?

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:00 pm

Please try mono.net using xsp on Windows. This supports unmanaged (COM) code. If it works there is only getting reactos good enough to run mono. Mono/Linux is not exactly the limit of what Mono can do.

For classic ASP as far as I know not worth the time. Reason you convert it to php with http://asp2php.naken.cc/ and then use apache. Note most ADO and MySQL interfaces from asp are reprocessed as part of the process. Most of the classics have been rewritten or better replacements are out there. ASP classic is history nothing more. Unless you can point to some true example that cannot be converted and where improving asp2php would not be worth it. ASP classic is history dieing history nothing more.

I cannot see the point on some developer here wasting there time on them. Other projects have it covered.

jakobssystems

Post by jakobssystems » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Not ASP or VBscript is the problem but the ISAPI and COM classes and methods. And this doesn't work on mono and linux. It would work on Windows machines but then i would not need mono... but i need windows... but i do not wnat to use windows for several reasons (licenses, fredom to give away VMs and so on).

ReactOS with running ASP, COM, ADO and ODBC would be a perfect solution for that.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:52 pm

MS .Net Is not installable in all countries on Reactos. Read your MS .Net License its only installable legally everywhere on true MS Windows OS's this excludes Reactos. I love the myth I don't need Mono.Net on windows.

Please do what I said. Install Mono on Windows and see if it works. There is two reasons for this. By end of year Mono is marked to merge with Winehq. Providing the very function you are talking about on linux.

Number two. Mono is the most likely used for .Net used on Reactos. So if works in Mono on windows it will work on Reactos in time.

jakobssystems

Post by jakobssystems » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:01 am

oiaohm wrote:MS .Net Is not installable in all countries on Reactos. Read your MS .Net License its only installable legally everywhere on true MS Windows OS's this excludes Reactos. I love the myth I don't need Mono.Net on windows.
*sigh* ok in clear words: I need my COM classes run. These COM classes are referenced by Classic ASP scripts... nothing less nothing more... i could migrate the Classic ASP scripts to ASP.NET or even PHP. Whatever I still need the f****** COM classes for backward compatibilty with the customers old apps. So I still need Windows...
oiaohm wrote:Please do what I said. Install Mono on Windows and see if it works.
as I said... on Window are no problems... it works... even without Mono :-)
oiaohm wrote:There is two reasons for this. By end of year Mono is marked to merge with Winehq. Providing the very function you are talking about on linux.
This would be a milestone! COM Support on Linux would beat my problem. Then I could use Classic ASP on Apache and COM classes in Mono... hopefully coz I do not like to reprogram a customer proven and stable version without any need. My hope is that ReactOS could help me to save time on this.
oiaohm wrote:Number two. Mono is the most likely used for .Net used on Reactos. So if works in Mono on windows it will work on Reactos in time.
But then I dont see a need for ReactOS. Why put Mono on ReactOS when it runs on Linux well or perhaps better?

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:12 am

We are not really putting Mono.Net on Reactos. Mono.Net runs on Windows 2000+. So when Reactos has the function of Windows 2000 completely it will just work.

I got what you were asking. migrated to Mono.Net running on Windows 2000+ it will work here sooner or latter without cost.

Mono is marked for merge with Winehq. That does not mean it will happen when you need it. Back it both ways. One will get there first.

Note testing in Mono.Net on Windows will tell you if the merge stands a chance of saving tail. Note it is possible to run Mono inside Winehq I would not recommend it as anything other than a last restort.

Recoding of ASP will be come a requirement in time. To do what you want without recoding ASP just requires Reactos to get to windows 2000 level.

http://www.sun.com/software/chilisoft/index.xml << Commerical solution.
Even Apache::ASP only support perl script lang inside the asp supports com class linking on Windows 2000+ platforms. Reactos will get there sooner or latter. Please note Apache support is required to support some embed Nvidia Network Cards fully.

Basically I see no need form Reactos Developers to exactly aim at this. Problem seams well and truly covered threw commercial and opensource. Some open source projects could do with improvement. Reactos just has to get to the level to run the solutions.

Lots of other applications need the same requirements as the web server products do. Splitting developers off to deal with this problem is kinda not required.

noccy

Post by noccy » Wed May 09, 2007 4:47 pm

I assume that full COM support will be implemented eventually? I have code laying around (that I haven't worked on for a while) which basically is a mashup between IIS and Apache. No fancy administration GUIs and stuff, but just a service and a bunch of XML configuration files. It uses the Microsoft scripting engine to execute ASP pages (while implementing the same API using Request, Response etc).

I have no idea when it's ready to be publicly used or so. It's just something I'm toying around with on my spare time, but eventually :)

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Fri May 11, 2007 12:40 am

In mono-wine merge yes in time full com support it was there in the past at the last merge point. In reactos as well.

Windows 2000+ running Mono is backing it all ways. Mono-Wine bridge will let lots of applications run on linux. Mono-Reactos will let it work. So whatever one gets there first.

Microsoft Scripting engine might not be usable in all places. Lot of Microsoft stuff is licenced Windows only. This does exclude Linux and Reactos from using them legally in some countries.

This is part of the problem lots of what Microsoft classes as OS core parts have a excluding use license on any non Microsoft Platfrom.

noccy

Post by noccy » Fri May 11, 2007 4:29 am

oiaohm wrote:Microsoft Scripting engine might not be usable in all places. Lot of Microsoft stuff is licenced Windows only. This does exclude Linux and Reactos from using them legally in some countries.
The scripting host is available as a separate download since it wasn't initially included with all XP systems iirc. And since the entire scripting engine is built around COM, it should work out of the box :)

As for the legal part I'm not sure how use could be restricted. Could you shed some light over this? :)

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:37 am

EULA saying you can only use it with genuine Microsoft Windows. Which we're obviously not.

noccy

Post by noccy » Sun May 13, 2007 8:51 pm

Z98 wrote:EULA saying you can only use it with genuine Microsoft Windows. Which we're obviously not.
Isn't that tied to the license? If I own a legit version of XP, does not that license grant me the right to use it?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:20 pm

No. It's using it WITH a legit Windows version. Just having the license isn't enough. The program just might check to see whether it's running on legit Windows or not. Recently, people have found that if IE7 finds it's running on WINE, it won't install or run. There have been hacks to get around that, but legally, they're not supposed to run it in the first place on WINE. Not that too many people pay attention, but it's not like we're going to endorse that.

Reacter

Post by Reacter » Sun May 13, 2007 9:57 pm

EULA ... next we can't click a mouse unless it is on Windows ... The EULA guides most. (not us, we have ReactOS + GNU versions of Windows apps!)
If anyone has ever read the EULA (I have), here are the worst lines. "Licensed to you ... Can terminate without warning ... Will be punished under the MAXIMUM LAW EXTENT". I really hope they don't mean an executionist :D . I don't really think you can rewrite the EULA to be any more restricting unless you take away all rights. Dream EULA: Software is ours. You are ours if you have our software.
More ReactOS, please!

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Mon May 14, 2007 12:02 am

Most people get confused with the differents in enforcement of EULA.

Somethings in the EULA cannot be enforced in almost all countries. In some places the IE 7 lock is even illegal. Just no one has taken it to court.

But if you are in a area where it can be fully enforced its down right scarry.

noccy

Post by noccy » Mon May 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Reacter wrote:If anyone has ever read the EULA (I have), here are the worst lines. "Licensed to you ... Can terminate without warning ... Will be punished under the MAXIMUM LAW EXTENT". I really hope they don't mean an executionist :D
Mmm, I envision a Microsoft branded SWAT-team busting through your window in good old "Hackers" style ;)

So, there is really no way to circumvent this? Maybe this is a far shot, but shouldn't the FSF be able to help with this considering their BadVista campaign? Also EFF should perhaps be able to work out some of the juridical quirks?

Btw, can't the JScript engine be built from the SpiderMonkey source? I'm sure there are tons of open source basic interpreters out there that could serve as the foundation for a VBScript engine.