OpenGL

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Elledan

Re: try this

Post by Elledan »

mf wrote:
patchworks wrote:
DirectX OpenGL Wrapper emulates API calls thru OpenGL commands and other platform specific commands in order to run DirectX 8 application running on other platform than Windows
check it out
If it can be quickly hacked in without a hassle, and hacked out just as easily when people want to work on a real DirectX, it could be cool. But is it the thing(tm) for ROS to do right now?
The answer to that question depends, I guess, on how desperately people want to get DirectX working. That is, is it at this moment paramount that we get stuff working as quickly as possible, no matter how, or is attention better focused on getting the same things working as well as possible, meanwhile avoiding potential maintenance nightmares in the future?

In general, I'd say that anything which detracts the attention of developers away from working on the actual OS code is a bad thing.

A simple wrapper, like those that allows one to play Glide-based games without an 3dfx card, are not a bad idea in the least, though, provided little to no developer time is required to get it working.

Asraniel

Post by Asraniel »

well, wine is not far away to have a working dx9 wrapper, i think this one could be used, or not?

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

AFAIK the Wine d93d wapper uses OpenGL, too.
So the question is how compatible to ros the dx code of wine/transgaming is. If it doesn't take to much time to port it back, why not ?

w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

As one of our goals is to get Direct3D and DirectDraw (parts of DirectX) working natively we won't use OpenGL for that purpose. We can use the original gfx drivers of the vendors so if they support DirectX one will be able to get all advantages in ROS as well.

As Wine can't run graphics drivers by design, they have no other option but to redirect to OpenGL. That's something I don't want in ROS, at least not in the long run....

mf
Developer

Re: try this

Post by mf »

Elledan wrote:The answer to that question depends, I guess, on how desperately people want to get DirectX working. That is, is it at this moment paramount that we get stuff working as quickly as possible, no matter how, or is attention better focused on getting the same things working as well as possible, meanwhile avoiding potential maintenance nightmares in the future?
I assume that answers my question of "can it be hacked in quickly without hassle" with a no, and answers the question of is it a good thing to put into ros at the moment with a no as well. If it's something you need to put work in to get it to work, then it's not a good solution, as the only way it would ever be implemented is temporarily (until good driver support comes along). It's not worth any hassle to put in something you're gonna throw out later.

Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

It's just great that OpenGL is working in ReactOS now!!!
Thanks guys :D

And also all the display-bugs of the nvidia-driver are gone now :D
I'm going to try some OpenGL games in ReactOS now.

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

AFAIK the Wine d93d wapper uses OpenGL, too.
So the question is how compatible to ros the dx code of wine/transgaming is. If it doesn't take to much time to port it back, why not ?
It is many reason not to use wine directdraw and d3d

1. it is to slow it will never use windows hardware acclartion for directx

2. many manufactor does not implement full opengl api (one is nivida information about this problem did virtualdub.org did bring it up for his filter devloping for virtualdub and other problem. I think it was last year ).

3. Directx api are 100% support by most manufactor (nivida / ati)

4. wine directx api for graphice system are going down direcly to xfree and linux kernel.

I got more reason why we should not use wine directdraw and d3d
but this is some of the argument. why not to use wine in this part

forart

Post by forart »

In general, I'd say that anything which detracts the attention of developers away from working on the actual OS code is a bad thing.
...and why not asking them to port their wrapper to ReactOS ?
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

Pentiumforever

Post by Pentiumforever »

when i have understand this postings above right, then they dont want a wrapper sondrn a real clone!

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

err people i dont wanna bug you but theoreticly, aint it possible to install every directx version if all standard windows systems are ported? so that if you port all possible calls and the windows installer 1/2 system, you can install windows installer 3 through windows installer 2, and every directx version and stuff thanks to the windows installer. In that way, microsoft will be working against itself by releasing all things (MSI, DX...) in windows installer files. That's true, or am I wrong? (dunno anything bout licensing, but i think if you create a program that executes something like an msi totally yourself, nobody can really charge you)
-graey-

GvG

Post by GvG »

You are correct on the technical side (i.e. it should be possible to install MS DirectX). The problem is on the legal side, I think the MS DirectX downloads come with an EULA which only allow you to install it on Genuine Windows. So the problem isn't in the installer, it's in the EULA of MS DirectX.

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

yes i see i checked, you have to validate Windows (:() before downloading. This can be bypassed, but you (and i) cannot recommend that since it's illegal... One silly question, does Microsoft (suppose so...) say you can't host the dxinstaller ? :D
-graey-

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

at a way that is legal, if you own a pc in your house which will be equipped with windows for the rest of its life, you can legally download anything from ms on that, then copy it on a disk and install it on reactos, true?
-graey-

Elledan

Post by Elledan »

GvG wrote:You are correct on the technical side (i.e. it should be possible to install MS DirectX). The problem is on the legal side, I think the MS DirectX downloads come with an EULA which only allow you to install it on Genuine Windows. So the problem isn't in the installer, it's in the EULA of MS DirectX.
Now if only people would decide whether an EULA is a legally acceptable agreement, or merely a waste of paper/bits.

GvG

Post by GvG »

geertvdijk wrote:at a way that is legal, if you own a pc in your house which will be equipped with windows for the rest of its life, you can legally download anything from ms on that, then copy it on a disk and install it on reactos, true?
I'm not a lawyer, so I can't tell you...