ReactOS Shell?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

myrrdin

ReactOS Shell?

Post by myrrdin »

i know that the ReactOS shell isn't complete and all, but i have found an open source shell that might be worth bundling into reactose, it's called Geoshell... this might need some rewrites though, since it does use MS VC++ for a codebase.

http://www.geoshell.com/
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

The idea of incorporating new shells has been tossed around many times - you can search the forum for them - but the default shell for ReactOS will always be something that resembles the Windows shell. This will help prevent alienating the large base of Windows users who are comfortable with its look and feel. To many of these people, the shell will be one of the most significant parts of their Windows experience.

But ReactOS is aiming to be as compatible as possible with Windows software, so when it is close enough, alternative shells should install and run fine.
myrrdin

Post by myrrdin »

counting_pine wrote:The idea of incorporating new shells has been tossed around many times - you can search the forum for them - but the default shell for ReactOS will always be something that resembles the Windows shell.
This Can easily be done by doing a default Reactos Skin for Geoshell.
counting_pine wrote: This will help prevent alienating the large base of Windows users who are comfortable with its look and feel. To many of these people, the shell will be one of the most significant parts of their Windows experience.

But ReactOS is aiming to be as compatible as possible with Windows software, so when it is close enough, alternative shells should install and run fine.
also a very good point, but still by doing a default skin for Geoshell based system in Reactos will allow one to make it compatable with xp themes.

Examples:
geOXP v2 - give Geoshell an windows XP like Look.
ThinIce - XP like Shell, but a little different.
geOGray - a Redmond 9x like skin, and yet a little different.
Logika WB- Reskin of windows with base locations intact.
Ivory- same as Logika.
Liquify V2 - same as Logika.

if you hadn't noticed from the links there's plenty of comparable windows like themes for GeoShell... i actually like it a lot more than the default ones i've seen, because it provides massive theme options in a tiny package.
forart

Re: ReactOS Shell?

Post by forart »

myrrdin wrote:i know that the ReactOS shell isn't complete and all, but i have found an open source shell that might be worth bundling into reactose
No way, ROS devs are NOT interested in implementing an alternative shell (...i asked *many* times...).

BTW indipendent devs can hack/adapt/test 3rd party shells on the system.

Check out "my" Shells list on the wiki.

8)

note: i aslo suggest you to ask shell teams/artists to support ROS, that would mean spreading of it (for example: there's no search results for "reactos" on SKINBASE.org...)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

the reactos team should use there own shell or have it close to what the windows one is. Keep the default one simple and have the taskbar like the one in windows xp
noccy

Post by noccy »

DGMurdockIII wrote:the reactos team should use there own shell or have it close to what the windows one is. Keep the default one simple and have the taskbar like the one in windows xp
I second that. "But this doesn't look like Windows" is something I've heard several times when trying to get Windows users have a look at Ubuntu Linux. The default shell at startup should at all times be something that resembles the standard Windows look.

I think a better approach here is the Ubuntu one (having Kubuntu, Edubuntu etc), like ReactOS (with the standard shell), BreactOS (with BlackBox), GeoreactOS (with GeoShell) etc. But don't start poking and prodding the main shell :)
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

I'd like to make a slightly off topic response.

From on my experiences on these formus a couple of things can be concluded. The first is that ReactOS will never incorporate a 3rd party shell. the second my thoughts on why:
Unlike Linux, ReactOS does not want to just through together 70 different programs to make a distribution, the ReactOS team wants everything to be integrated, like windows. Linux allows people to chose between firewalls, x11 implementations, security methods, and just about everything. Very little of these things are developed and maintained by the core Linux kernel developers. ReactOS does not want to create a distribution, but an Operating System, one that is controlled by the ReactOS team, not one that relies on 70 different development groups to continue. While this may cause the development of ReactOS to be slower, it allows for ReactOS to have one vision and to work towards it's end.

By all means, create your own modified ReactOS with a custom shell, but the official releases of ReactOS will most likely never have 3rd party code, other than links to them in the package manager (and if you count wine as a 3rd party, then wine).

If I have gotten any of this wrong, please correct me.
InFeRnODeMoN

Post by InFeRnODeMoN »

noccy wrote:BreactOS
OMG quite similar to BreastOS ;0

Dun'worry, ROS is getting Explorer rewritten...
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ohoh this was dangerous: Next: Nice new logos for the new name. I can imagine very well how they would look like.
forart

Post by forart »

Meklort wrote:ReactOS does not want to create a distribution, but an Operating System, one that is controlled by the ReactOS team, not one that relies on 70 different development groups to continue. While this may cause the development of ReactOS to be slower, it allows for ReactOS to have one vision and to work towards it's end.

By all means, create your own modified ReactOS with a custom shell, but the official releases of ReactOS will most likely never have 3rd party code, other than links to them in the package manager (and if you count wine as a 3rd party, then wine).

If I have gotten any of this wrong, please correct me.
I barelly agree: ROS is GPL so (3rd-party) distros are always possible, of course.

BTW i can't share the CLONING politic that the project have. Windows is a not-so-good OS, so cloning it just create a not-so-good-open OS. I like the 100% compatibility approach but many things could be improved.
And the shell is one of those: even MS belives this, the latest Windows releases (XP and Vista) have major improvements in this sphere.
»Forward Agency NPO
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You are free to quote better desktop OS`es.
forart

Post by forart »

I mean: why cloning when you can build a better-than Windows but 100% compatible ?
»Forward Agency NPO
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Because the objective isn't to build a "better" Windows, at least not in the sense you seem to want. The betterment is done beneath the surface, most of which isn't readily seen by the end user. Also, we are trying to present users with a familiar environment. We cannot make that claim if we suddenly use a completely different shell the default. And for that matter, what's better? If we were to include Gnome, I'd say we'd be taking a step back. If we were to include KDE, I'd just shrug. Basically everyone is familiar with the Explorer Shell. Those that refuse to use it tend to be people who avoid Windows in general, so there's no point in caving to their demands, since they're just as likely to avoid ReactOS.

As far as "distros" go, again, they would be redundant. They could not do any massive change without literally forking the project and possibly breaking compatibility, and the inclusion of a different shell as a default is hardly a massive change in my book. It's very much like the Ubuntu series. They have separate child distros just for a separate desktop, which as far as I can see is a waste of effort, considering you can achieve what you want using just the base install.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

forart wrote:Windows is a not-so-good OS, so cloning it just create a not-so-good-open OS.
I'm not entirely sure how you come to the conclusion that the worlds most popular, most usable and best designed operating system is 'not-so-good'

I think you may be following the wrong project with ReactOS...
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

The more I learn from the Reactos Kernel Developers more bad defaults.

With a few minor changes in defaults. And extending the injection protection in vista. Core design of windows is not exactly bad.

Please be careful with claims of most usable. There is a lot of dispute over that.

Same with best designed operating system. We don't want Minux 3 vs Linux vs Windows arguments in here. Each have there advantages.

Most popular is true. But there is nothing to say it will stay that way. C64 were the most popular computer and OS at one time.